Ohio 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:48:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio 2010  (Read 4540 times)
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

Kasich, Portman, Dewine...all names that are being bantered around as Republican candidates for the Gubernatorial race. What are your thoughts? Any potential surprise candidates?
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »

Kasich, Portman, Dewine...all names that are being bantered around as Republican candidates for the Gubernatorial race. What are your thoughts? Any potential surprise candidates?

I've heard Kasich is considering a run.  Is Portman?  I like Kasich a lot and Portman is impressive and young, but how successful was Portman as Bush's OMB Director?  That could hurt him in the future.  Right now, I'd prefer Kasich. 

Is there any chance of anyone beating Strickland?  He's pretty popular, no?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »

I've heard Kasich is considering a run.  Is Portman?  I like Kasich a lot and Portman is impressive and young, but how successful was Portman as Bush's OMB Director?  That could hurt him in the future.  Right now, I'd prefer Kasich. 

Is there any chance of anyone beating Strickland?  He's pretty popular, no?

Actually a poll that I recently saw showed his approval rating about equal with his disapproval rating.

I'm wondering if someone could enlighten us to this?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:59:13 PM »

The buzz I'm hearing is that Portman actually wants to go to the Senate.  Of course that plan hinges on Voinovich retiring which is looking less likely at the moment given his prominent position as one of the leading voices for the US Automaker bailout.  I think Voinovich is trying to use the auto bailout as a way to boost his approval ratings since recent polls have shown him running behind several potential Democratic challengers.

Kasich is definitely on the hunt for the governor's office and he'll probably get the GOP nomination if Portman doesn't have the opportunity to go for the Senate.  If their is a primary between these two then I would expect Strickland to get re-elected but it won't be the landslide 2006 was.

Kevin DeWine recently tried to commit political suicide by pissing off the party base when he essentially blamed the religious right for Republican defeats only a few days after the election.  The fallout from this hasn't looked pretty and I doubt he'll be nominated for any statewide office in the near future and even if on some off chance he is nominated I doubt he'll be able to turnout enough Republicans to win.  The DeWine name wasn't so lucky in 2006 and I doubt it would do any better in 2010.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »

The buzz I'm hearing is that Portman actually wants to go to the Senate. 

Too bad he won't run against Voinivich.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:29 AM »

We'll the hope is that Voinovich will retire since his current numbers are suck.  Then Portman can swing in to save the day.  Plus, Voinovich will be 74 in 2010 so there's legitimate speculation that he'll retire simply because of his age.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking Mike Dewine, though...

Mike DeWine isn't being discussed at all and I don't think he even wants to run.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:24 AM »

Has Dewine been active since he lost in 2006?
dmet41
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »

He was helping McCain out a bit... I think he wanted to be his AG.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 06:47:17 PM »

He was helping McCain out a bit... I think he wanted to be his AG.

But, honestly, unless he were to get appointed to something, people would forget that he helped McCain by 2010 anyway.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:15:31 AM »

Mike DeWine was lieutenant governor until 1994, when he was first elected to Congress. He lost by a large margin in 2006, and he alienates the base with his pro gun control stance. I doubt that he would be able to win even the primary, let alone the election.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 12:36:19 AM »

Mike DeWine was lieutenant governor until 1994, when he was first elected to Congress. He lost by a large margin in 2006, and he alienates the base with his pro gun control stance. I doubt that he would be able to win even the primary, let alone the election.

I think this is the first time we agree on something. DeWine is finished and his old boss George Voinovich might be as well. John Kasich is the clear candidate for Governor. He almost ran in 2006 but was talked out of it to give Blackwell a shot. Considering Strickland's approvals are low right now Kasich could have a chance of winning. His reformer image will help as well particulary among Independents and his conservative views will rally the base. I would rate that race as Weak Dem Hold for now b/c Strickland isn't in real trouble yet and incumbents rarely lose but this will definately be one of the Marquie races.

Bob Portman should do one of three things.
1. Run for the Senate in 2010 if Voinovich retires
2. Primary Voinovich which could be easily done since Voinovich is weak and is attaching himself to the autobailout which could fail or not pass(like McCain suspending campaign to help pass Housing Bailout only to have that version fail).
3. If Voinovich is determined to hand the seat to Tim Ryan and Portman doesn't want to primary him then he should wait till 2012 and face Sherrod Brown.
GOPFlyer10
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »

We'll the hope is that Voinovich will retire since his current numbers are suck.  Then Portman can swing in to save the day.  Plus, Voinovich will be 74 in 2010 so there's legitimate speculation that he'll retire simply because of his age.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking Mike Dewine, though...

Mike DeWine isn't being discussed at all and I don't think he even wants to run.

Voinivich isn't retiring, he already has campaign lit out
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »

The buzz I'm hearing is that Portman actually wants to go to the Senate.  Of course that plan hinges on Voinovich retiring which is looking less likely at the moment given his prominent position as one of the leading voices for the US Automaker bailout. 

Indeed I've heard such buzz as well and Voinovich doesn't seem to be slowing down.

I see Portman as the GOP nominee simply because Strickland has a good chance of not appearing THAT vulnerable.  Portman is the only one who wouldn't have go give up an elected spot to challenge Strickland and a failed run for governor would actually help Portman's future career instead of hurt it.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »

I would be EXTREMELY happy with Kasich or Portman.  They need to make some premature polling on this.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 05:44:38 PM »

http://blog.dispatch.com/dailybriefing/2008/12/strickland_good_voinovich_shak.shtml

Impossible to do when they are such unknowns but Strickland looking good
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

I doubt anyone would be able to defeat Strickland at the moment. It depends on the feelings with the Democrats in 2010, but my bet is that even in a 50/50 "normal" election that Strickland would be re-elected.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies