Probable terror attacks in Mumbai (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:47:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Probable terror attacks in Mumbai (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Probable terror attacks in Mumbai  (Read 9157 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 26, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »
« edited: November 26, 2008, 04:32:21 PM by MODU »

This seems clearly to be an anti-Western attack, based upon the locations hit and the descriptions of the victims at the moment.  Not good.

On a personal note, it is ironic that one of the hotels hit is the Taj.  I was there back in 1993.  Along the side of the right-side of the hotel along the street there was a shanty town built up along the sidewalk.  I remember a kid running up to me with his hands out asking for US dollars.  I only had large bills with me, so I reached into my pocket to give him change.  The kid gave me a dirty look, took the few coins, and ran off.  hahaha . . . I'll always remember that. 

EDIT:  From back in 2006, an old post about Bombay (Mumbai) and the Taj...

Bombay (before reverting back to Mumbai) - This was a very very busy city, with buildings stacked on top of each other for blocks.  Unfortunately, it was also a very dirty city, with the bay in which we were anchored had floating trash and dead animals in it.  It was a quick reminder that, no matter how advanced they are, India was still a borderline third-world nation.  If that wasn't enough, in the city there is a grand hotel called the Taj Mahal, complete with a British butcher standing in front of it to open the door for you.  Along the side of the hotel (which ran the length of the street) were little shanties built up with homeless begging the tourists for American dollars.  It was a sad sight.  Traffic was also a nightmare.  In what most of us would consider a three-laned road, they were able to fit 5 lanes of traffic travelling at rediculous speeds . . . and no cross walks.  Ugh . . . I was more than glad to go back to the ship.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »

Is this seriously the only thread we have on this? It pretty much dominated the news in America today (and rightfully so).

I know, and the name of this thread is "probable" haha.

It was 'probable' because at the time it was 'probable' and if I hadn't included 'probable' I would have been asked to specifically say it was 'probable' until such times as it was no longer 'probable' Smiley

Probably.

In any case, we're into day two now, and there are still gun battles between the hostage takers and the police/military.  Dozens of hostages have been freed from some of the hotels, but it sounds like the Taj and the Trident still have people trapped inside.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:09:40 AM »

Do you really think that a solo Pakistani individual with his own resources was able to pull this off without sponsorship from the Govt. Wow. And sooner or later, mark my words and this date, there will be war between these two countries. And if it does turn Neuclear, we know which country has far more superior capacity then the other ( India in case you don't know ).

Do you really think a handful of Saudi individuals with their own resources were able to pull off the attacks on the US without sponsorship from their Gov't.  Wow.  And sooner or later, mark my words and this date, there will be war between those two countries.  And if it does turn "Nuclear," we know which country has far more superior capacity than the other (US in case you don't know).

Sorry, the basis of your argument is beyond flawed.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »

No internal domestic terrorist organisation in India has that much fund and sophistication.

It doesn't take a lot of money to buy/steal weapons, and we have high schoolers here int he US plan and carry out sophisticated attacks on school grounds.  Again, you basis for an argument here is weak.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies