Wake Me Up When September Ends
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Wake Me Up When September Ends
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wake Me Up When September Ends  (Read 6970 times)
Historico
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »

Ok Everyone, Here's a new timeline that I have been wanting to do for months now, based on the POD that Ike succumbs to his massive heart attack in '55 thus resulting in a Nixon Presidency almost 15 years earlier than in OTL. The Out of the Blue Timeline, is still on hold(Although I may be able to get a nice sized update out in a few days) and I will return to it eventually. But I want to try my hand out on the effects of an earlier Nixon Presidency. It will be written in more of Interactive style, with some Naritive Updates, mixed in with my traditional Textbook-like format. I also wan't to try to cover more on Cultural Changes as welll. So, I hope you will all be along with me for the ride, and remember that comments, suggestions and replies keep my timelines alive lol.Cheesy

Wake Me Up When September Ends: The Death of President Eisenhower
An Alternate History Timeline
Written by Austin L. Ross

September 24th 1955

“We have Breaking News coming out of Denver, Colorado…President Eisenhower has just suffered a major heart attack…” Walter Cronkite trailed off as he peered into the eyes of the Camera’s on the set of his historical reenactment Television show You Are There. Normally, such startling news would be left to the Anchor of CBS Evening News Doug Edwards. But with Doug out sick, and the arrival of the tragic news arriving during his program, The Producers at CBS had given him the go ahead to unveil the news.

“The nation’s 34th President was on vacation at the home of First Lady Mamie Eisenhower’s Parents apparently playing a round of Golf when he had the heart attack. We know that he has been transported via automobile to Fitzsimmons Veteran’s Hospital. No word yet on the 64 year old’s condition…” Walter sighed as he patiently waited for an updated AP bulletin on the nation’s beloved General.

A few minutes later, his editor walked up to his Desk with a face full of grief handed Walter the bulletin. The almost 50 year old newsman nodded back to his producer as he took the bulletin away into his own hands. Walter stopped speaking for the moment, and put on his thick, black plastic framed Glasses as he looked over the AP sheet for a quick moment. With a heavy heart, Walter slowly took off his glasses and parted his mouth to speak.

“From Denver, Colorado, the flash apparently official…President Eisenhower has been declared Dead on Arrival at Fitzsimmon’s Veteran’s Hospital. Dwight D. Eisenhower at age 64 died at 1pm Mountain Standard Time, 3’0clock Eastern Standard Time, some 38 minutes ago.” Walter stated, with his voice laced with Sadness as he paused to gather his bearings. He swallowed hard and put back his glasses back onto his face as continued his follow up report.

“Vice President Nixon is in Washington DC, but we don’t know where he has proceeded. Presumably, he will be taking the Oath of Office shortly and become the 35th President of the United States.” Walter concluded, as the editor signaled that they would have to take a short commercial brake. The newsman couldn’t help but repeat the words in his mind which he always said at the end of his program for the last two years.

What sort of day was it? A day like all days filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times…and you were there.

The White House, Washington DC,

Second Lady Patricia Nixon and his daughters were inconsolable as the news of the nation’s Grandfather, who through his military genius defeated the terrors of Hitler and led the Republican Party back into the White House after 20 years of living in the Political Wilderness. However, those same sentiments felt by the women of his family were not felt by the head of the House. Even in the news of the President’s death, Richard Nixon’s heart still felt slighted at Eisenhower’s suggestion that he should take the demotion to the post of Secretary of Defense in exchange of him leaving the ticket in ’56. But will all that being in the past, the 42 year old was to become the nation’s 35th President and be in full control of his own and that of the nation’s destiny.

With his held placed on the Bible, Dick Nixon pierced into the eye’s of a man he hated with a passion. Chief Justice Earl Warren held back his own discontent at the nation’s young President as Television cameras recorded his first swearing in ceremony. Images, Words, and Memories flooded both the two most powerful men in America, of days when Nixon and Warren were Congressmen/Senator and Governor respectively in the Golden State. Now for the sake of a grief-stricken nation, those two men had to push their differences aside to ensure that the laws of succession in the United States were held in place. After Warren had stated the Oath and told Nixon to repeat it; a sly smile emerged out the side of Nixon’s face.

“I Richard Milhous Nixon, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States and will Preserve, Protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, So help me God.”

Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »

A good start for what I believe will be another great timeline. I assume that Nixon will run for his “second” term in ’56…I also assume that he will win the election against former Governor Stevenson or Senator Kefauver. If Kefauver manages to win the nomination, he might wants the young Catholic Jack Kennedy on the ticket as his vice presidential candidate because of the also very young Nixon. This timeline has great potential, and I can’t wait for the next update.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »

Since more than 2 years of Eisenhower term passed at moment of Nixon accession, he'd be able to run both in 1956 and 1960
Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »

Since more than 2 years of Eisenhower term passed at moment of Nixon accession, he'd be able to run both in 1956 and 1960

You are right, Kalwejt…and since Nixon is Nixon, I believe he will run in both elections. I’m however, not sure if the American people will re-elect him again in ’60. It will depend much on how he handles the 1957-58 recession…we will see.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

Excellent, but hopefully you will finish Out of the Blue, then proceed to this. I don't like it when people don't finish TLs (I'm looking at you, Giovanni, Lief!).

Still, an excellent start. I'm looking forward to that Out of the Blue update in a few days.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

Nixon in '56 and '60!

I think that Nixon should win both, even if a JFK-type figure runs against him assuming he handles all foreign crises well. The unemployment rate was about 4% on election day 1956 and about 6% on election day 1960, both relatively low/average rates. Nixon should just demonstrate to people that we cares about them when recessions occur in 1958 and 1961 so that his popularity does not suffer too badly. Also, I believe Nixon's intellect and experience will prevent any serious foreign crises during his Presidency from developing into something much worse.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 12:50:13 AM »

Historico, great first update in what I expect to be an interesting timeline, which I'm assuming you'll continue until the present day. So long you don't kill the Beatles prospects in the United States, that's if Paul McCartney actually meets John Lennon in this alternate world, I'll like it regardless. I doubt you'll disregard butterflies entirely, like some others most notably myself Wink
Historico
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »

Thanks for the support guys, I should have a short update on the Funeral and leading up to the Election, and then my usual standard update on the Elections(I might do it in a Theodore H. White Style).
Historico
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

Chapter Three
The Funeral

The Funeral for President Eisenhower was held on the first few days of October, as President Nixon largely let the widowed Mamie Eisenhower do most of the funeral design. For a man as beloved by the American People, as Gen. Dwight D. “Ike” Eisenhower, he was to be as they say “Belong to the Ages” and Mamie surely felt those same sentiments. His state Funeral was patterned after Lincoln’s, and Ike’s casket was carried via Horse drawn carriage to lie in state in the capital rotunda. Thousands of American’s citizens traveled to the nation’s capital to say their final goodbye’s to President Eisenhower.

After lying in state for a day, his body was moved to Washington National Cathedral where he was given a modest Episcopal Church funeral Service. Former President’s Hoover and Truman, former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt were in attendance, as was ’52 Democratic Presidential nominee Adlai E. Stevenson, and numerous other Senators, Congressmen, Foreign Diplomats and military officials. As Ike’s successor spoke from his high wooden podium, his voice was not of the harsh tone we would come to know in the succeeding years but was soft in reverence of the occasion. In Nixon’s short speech he said “Some men are considered great because they lead great armies or they lead powerful nations. And although we do not attempt to know God’s will, we are saddened today because we know that the General was not able to finish out his final mission given to him by the American people. But he was never truly ours to begin with, and even so he created with his own hands a legacy that shall ever reverberate throughout the nations of Earth. He shall always be seen as the world's most admired and respected man, truly the first citizen of the world.”

The Speech showed the American People that perhaps Dick Nixon, had a heart and wasn’t the sleezebag as many had thought. Maybe just Maybe, a political cartoon in a 1954 edition of the Washington Posts was a little uncalled for. It depicted a cluster of Republican fat cats gathering around Nixon with WELCOME signs as he emerged, suitcase plastered with stickers from his many stops, from a manhole cover. He was shown to be traveling around the country-get it?-by sewer. Feelings of Grief and Guilt racked the American consciousness throughout the rest of 1955. In those last three months, President Nixon simply cradled America at one of her most vulnerable times only to manipulate her to his own advantage.

Nixon spent the final three months of 1955 largely out of the line of sight to the American Public. Although in truth, Nixon had up to that point, held one of the most active Vice Presidencies during his tenure he was still left mostly out of the loop by the Eisenhower Cabinet. Nixon resented the “old and contrary bastards” as he felt if they had did more to have brought him as an integral member of Ike’s administration, it wouldn’t have taken him so long to gain ahold of the reins of power. The Quaker also wanted push through a major piece of legislation before Congress recessed for Christmas. That legislation would be the 23rd Amendment, which although was seen by many members of Congress as a dramatic increase in power of the President, it was a logical and needed response with two Presidential deaths within a decade.

In short, the 23rd Amendment dealt with the succession to the Presidency and established procedures both for filling a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, as well as responded to the issues regarding Presidential disabilities. It superseded the ambiguous wording of Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution, which does not expressly state whether the Vice President becomes the President, as opposed to an "Acting President", if the President dies, resigns, is removed from office or is otherwise unable to discharge the powers of the presidency. The Twenty-fifth Amendment was passed through Congress on a nearly unanimous margin on December 5th 1955and later ratified by the states in 1957.

With a major piece of legislation notched onto his belt, and nothing really else happening in 1955 other than a black woman being arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama and the merger of the Labor unions AFL and CIO. President Nixon began in earnest to focus on the 1956 election especially after he intercepted a letter sent by Adlai Stevenson, the frontrunner to the ’56 Democratic nomination to Harvard Economist John Kenneth Galbraith. In it said “Our nation stands at a fork in the political road. In one direction lie a land of slander and scare; the land of sly innuendo, the poison pen, the anonymous phone call and hustling, pushing, shoving, the land of smash and grab and anything to win. This is Nixonland. America is something different.”

Thus a more inclusive definition of Nixonland: it is the America where two separate and irreconcilable sets of apocalyptic fears coexist in the minds of two separate and irreconcilable groups of Americans. The first group, enemies of Richard Nixon, is the spiritual heirs of Stevenson and Galbraith. They take it as an axiom that if Richard Nixon and the values associated with him triumph, America itself might end. The second group are the people who wrote those telegrams begging Dwight D. Eisenhower to keep their hero on the 1952 Republican ticket. They believe, as did Nixon, that if the enemies of Richard Nixon triumph-the Alger Hisses and Helen Gahagan Douglases, the Herblocks and beatniks, the Henry Wallaces and all the rest-America might end. The DNC was right: an amazingly large segment of the population disliked and mistrusted Richard Nixon instinctively. What they did not acknowledge was that an amazingly large segment of the population also trusted him as their savior. “Nixonland” is what happens when these two groups try to occupy a country together. By the end of the 1950’s, Nixonland came to encompass the entire political culture of the United States. It would define it, in fact for the next fifty years.

Though we are getting ahead of ourselves.

From, NIXONLAND: The Accident President and The Uniting of America by Jake Perlstein
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

Excellent. I'm wondering about the 1956 election; It is interesting to see a man who's time came much later become President so early.
Cassius Dio
Mel
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »

Good update...I hope we get to see the next update very soon.
Historico
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »

The White House, January 10th 1956…

“Stassen and Knowland…I can’t believe those Son of a Bitch is trying to take my nomination away from me…Never, Never, Never, Never!” Nixon roared as he slammed down his fist hard enough on the Oval Office desk, that his two young advisors sitting across from him thought he may have broken it. After taking a deep inhale of air, The President slicked back his thick brush of ebony hair and calmly looked down at the memorandum in front of him.

“I do want to remind you Mr. President that no candidate has mounted a successful challenge to an incumbent President in this century. Hell I think the last one was when James Blaine usurped President Chester A. Arthur in 1884.” The young man, sitting to the right of Nixon, said.

The young man had the presence of a South Californian born and raised as he sat leaned back in the wooden chair, clad in a coal black, single breasted suit. His name was Robert H. Finch, a neophyte in national politics; he and the President became fast friends during their time together in Washington after the War. Ideologically Bob Finch was much more inline with the likes of Moderate-to-Liberal Republicans…Harold Stassen, Nelson Rockefeller and Earl Warren. The strange bond in which he and the President shared made Finch quit his lucrative job at a Los Angeles Law Firm to work as Nixon’s Chief of Staff upon Ike’s death.

“True, but Chet Arthur and I also had a lot more in common than you might think Bob…both of us were seemingly controversial Vice President’s coming into office upon a Presidential death. Goddamnit Roy, I want you to make sure that I don’t go down like that bastard.” Nixon said, as he jarred the manager of his Presidential campaign with his finger.

Although President Nixon understood the rumor’s floating around the beltway about Cohn being “quite the little fairy” to be probably true. Nixon also knew that Cohn was a man of his own heart, and someone who would have the ball’s to go after the Democrats without any remorse. Only 29 years old, Cohn’s name had already gained a level of infamy amongst those in the Democratic Political circles for his relentless pursuit for the executions of the Rosenberg’s in ’51. Cohn, like Nixon, was a man who thrived on Abuse, brought in for the sole purpose for the campaign to go down how Nixon liked…Rough and Dirty.

“Well since they’ve already firmed up their intentions to run, and we know that you have the Regular base of the party in full support behind our campaign…this will most definitely hamper both Knowland’s and Stassen’s ability to fundraise. So that will force them to compete in the Primaries.” Roy said.

“Hmm…If I compete in all of the Primaries and sweep them there…Stassen and Knowland will be dead in the water coming into San Francisco.” Nixon said with a sly smile on his face.

“Absolutely, we’ll show those bastards the he ed with the wrong President, well win in the primaries and have them like it.” Roy laughed as he slapped his hand across his knee in excitement.

“Excellent, Were going to have to run a campaign featuring my legitimacy as the Incumbent President of the United States and that all those stature enhancing trips I took in the last four years weren’t for Naught. We also need to ask the American People, how a man who hasn’t been elected to Public Office since in 1938 is still considered a viable candidate. As well ask how a man can tear his own state apart to seek the Presidency for solely personal reasons.” Nixon said.

“That’s exactly what I had in mind Mr. President.” Roy replied back to the nation’s 35th President.

“Good, Good, Good, Good…With that being decided, let’s move on…” Nixon trailed off as he eye’s wandered into the gargantuan stack of memorandum’s on his desk.

Final Results of the 1956 Republican Primaries

03/13/56: New Hampshire: Nixon 54%, Knowland 30%, Stassen 15%
03/20/56: Minnesota: Stassen: 65%, Nixon 20%, Knowland 15%
04/03/56: Wisconsin: Stassen 45%, Nixon 30%, Knowland 25%
04/10/56: Illinois: Knowland 36%, Stassen 34%, Nixon 30%
04/17/56: New Jersey: Nixon 62%, Stassen 16%, Knowland 16%
04/24/56: Pennsylvania: Nixon 45%, Knowland 30%, Stassen 25%
04/24/56: Massachusetts: Nixon 36%, Stassen 34%, Knowland 30%
04/24/56: Arkansas: Knowland 52%, Nixon 40%, Stassen 12%
05/01/56: DC: Stassen 75%, Nixon 20%, Knowland 5%
05/07/56: Maryland: Stassen 50%, Knowland 30%, Nixon 20%
05/08/56: Indiana: Nixon 46%, Knowland 34%, Stassen 20%
05/15/56: Nebraska: Stassen 65%, Nixon 35%
05/18/56: Oregon: Nixon 50%, Stassen 30%, Knowland 20%
05/29/56: Florida: Knowland 50%, Nixon 30%, Stassen 20%
06/05/56: California: Nixon 45%, Knowland 40%, Stassen 15%

From July 1st, 1956 Issue of Time Magazine

Historico
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »

Roy Cohn was wrong…Dead wrong.

President Richard M. Nixon did not sweep the primaries and was not destined to be bestowed with laurels at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.

Instead, the nation’s young 35th President spent the last Six months of his life almost completely on the road, from the snow covered hills of New Hampshire to the warm summer breeze of California. In truth, the 1956 Republican Primary campaign remained one of the nastiest on record. With Senator Knowland running to the Right, former Governor Stassen to the Left, President Nixon running as the sort of in between candidate…GOP Primary voters never before had more options in steering the course of their party in the future. As divided as people’s own beliefs are, the same would be true about how the primaries split. President Nixon competed in every single one of the primaries, and although he already held the institutional support amongst the party bosses his “Rose Garden” Strategy ensured him victories in New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Indiana, Oregon and California. Stassen and Knowland were basically left the scraps for states, that such as the Midwest a Republican was going to carry anyway in a General election and states such as the South where only a man of Eisenhower’s stature could break through the monolith of electoral votes.

So perhaps, that is why the A.B.N or Anybody but Nixon(Or more colloquially known as the Get that Asshole by Nature Out of the White House) Movement was doomed from the start. As best summed up by Theodore H. White, in the long civil war between citizens and regulars Nixon, through dint of four years in the best and worst of times, between banquets and campaigns, chores and dinners, had worked for the regulars all through a Presidency that was—as they carefully phrased—"not politically conditioned" which had made Nixon into the hero of the regulars, and would garner their unrelenting enthusiasm. The regulars could not accept the prospect, as they saw it, of another Eisenhower: that is, the threat of men the likes of Bill Knowland and Harry Stassen in the Presidency.

But to challenge an Incumbent President, that entire notion was almost unheard of in 20th century politics. It was supposed to be that no matter what your personal differences with the man behind the desk in the oval office, if he was of your own party, you stood behind him through hell or high water. It was no surprise to anyone within GOP circles that Stassen was going to mount yet another attempt at the Presidency. The man had sought the nominated of his party for the last twelve years, and only released his delegates to General Eisenhower in ‘52, a man whom he deeply respected, to defeat Mr. Conservative himself…Bob Taft on the first ballot. What is dumbfounding however is how a man who hadn’t been elected to public office since ’38 and Director of the now defunct Foreign Operations administration was so able to inspire the Progressive citizen wing of the party? Maybe it was his ferocious call for Civil Rights, Universal Health Care or grander farm subsidies for the Midwest that stirred up the hearts of men, who felt as if there party had died with Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, and Wendell Wilkie. They hoped that Progressivism still had one great warrior left…Harold Stassen, who at age 49 still had plenty of fight left in him.

If former Governor Stassen was a man with nothing to loose, and everything to gain then Bill Knowland of Almaeda, California was the exact opposite. Already the unadulterated King amongst men of Republicans in the Senate, the 11th Senate Minority Leader had everything to loose and truly nothing to gain. The late President Eisenhower had said before his death that “Knowland brings to his leadership post an absolute, unflinching integrity that rises above politics. In the councils of government, he inspires faith in his motives and gives weight to his words.” Yet, that belief amongst his fellow Republican colleagues who were eager to support Nixon, was shattered when on Christmas day 1955…The “Senator from Formosa” announced his candidacy for the Presidency of the United States “to save the Republican Party from utter destruction.”  Yet he was forced by the political savvy of Richard Nixon to run to the right in the primaries. Knowland ran with a constituency that didn’t quite exist yet as he became a champion for States Rights(despite his life long support of Civil Rights), eradication of New Deal era Programs and restoration of the Chang Kai Shek regime in China. Although this bode him victories in Arkansas, Florida and White Ethnics in Illinois, he came of to many Republican voters as an incredibly bitter man. His vendetta against a man from his own state, was a major turn off to primary voters and although Knowland was able to secure a good amount of delegates. Senate Minority Leader or not, his chances of winning the nomination were just as slim as Harry Stassen’s.

However, the respective campaigns of Stassen and Knowland wasn’t a complete waste of time as there were able to pull away a few more state delegations away from Nixon at the start of the convention(Knowland in the South and Stassen in the Midwest) enough to deny him from claiming victory on the first ballot. Instead of meeting with only one of his opponents, in a smoky backroom in the convention hall, Nixon met with both Knowland and Stassen to get them to end their campaign. In their deal, the candidates mainly discussed possible picks for the Vice Presidency and other open cabinet positions, as well as different goals on Domestic Policy mainly Civil Rights. Stassen forwarded his man, Moderate Governor Christian Herter of Massachusetts while Knowland nominated his friend, Conservative Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona. Dick Nixon although he personally liked both men, thought that Chris was too Aristocratic and Barry to Extreme for Middle-Class America.

In an attempt to reach a consensus, Nixon offered up the name of  former President pro tempore…Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire. Bridges, with his strong Anti-Communist record, lengthy foreign policy experience, and universal respect across all Republican factions was considered highly agreeable by the Stassen and Knowland delegations. After the deal was done and a shaky picture between the President and his former challengers was taken on the Convention floor, Nixon won an overwhelming majority of delegates and clinched the nomination. The almost 60 year old Senator Bridges also readily accepted the nomination for the Vice Presidency, as he understood that he had already felt the zenith of his political power and that the office although “not worth a bucket of warm piss” would be a nice place to retire his outstanding career in public service.

Yet the 1956 Republican National Convention at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California wasn’t about President Nixon, Senator Knowland, former Governor Stassen or Senator Bridges…it was about the late President Eisenhower. The Convention Hall was adorned with Portraits of Ike, as well as Eisenhower placards and signs from the 1952 campaign. Former First Lady Mamie Eisenhower introduced a long film about Ike’s life and career during the first day of the convention, not exactly the best way to start a party, but it did succeed in moving everyone within the Cow Palace to tears. Nixon, ever the opportunist, continued to capitalize on the intense emotions of the room when he delivered his acceptance address…

From: Anybody but Nixon: The 1956 Presidential Election, by Michael Taylor

Historico
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »

“It was only four years ago that I stood in this very place after you had nominated our candidate for the President one of the great men of our century. And I say to you tonight that for generations to come, Americans, regardless of party, will gratefully remember Dwight Eisenhower as the man who brought peace to America as the man -- as the man under whose leadership America enjoyed the greatest progress and prosperity in history. But above all, they will remember him as the man who restored honesty, integrity, and dignity to the conduct of government in the highest office of this land.

And my fellow Americans, I know now that you will understand what I next say, because as your President of the United States you know that I have his great example to follow, because as President I will have new and challenging problems in the world of utmost gravity. This truly is a time for greatness in America's leadership.

And I know -- And my fellow Americans, I know tonight that we must resist the hate; we must remove the doubts, but above all, we must be worthy of the love and the trust of millions on this earth for whom America is the hope of the world.

A hundred years ago, the first Presidential Nominee of the Republican Party was brought forth before the American People. That man also hailed from this great state of California, and was no other than the Great Pathfinder himself…John C. Fremont. Their slogan in that year of Genesis was “Free speech, free press, free soil, free men, Frémont and victory!"

I think it’s about time that we use that slogan again, and remind the American People that the Republican Party shall always stand for Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Press, Freedom of Security against the tyranny of Communism, and Freedom to all Men & Women, no matter their race, or denomination. And after these Convention doors close, we shall go forward with our banners held high, singing Nixon/Bridges for Victory in 1956! And my fellow Americans, may that ever be our prayer for our country, and in that spirit, with faith in America, with faith in her ideals and in her people, I accept your nomination for President of the United States.”

Expert, From: President Nixon’s Acceptance address as the Republican Party’s Presidential Nominee… August 27th 1956 Issue of Time Magazine
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »

Excellent update. Smiley I was beginning to think Nixon wouldn't get his parties nomination.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »

Excellent update. Smiley I wasn't beginning to think Nixon wouldn't get his parties nomination.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »

Historico is oficially Best Timeline Writer here Smiley
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »

He and PBrunsel, but PBrunsel's gone so...Historico! Btw, why was it that only I commented the last time he updated Out of the Blue?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »

Seconded. I pretty much use his advice as the 'gold standard' for my TL's.
Historico
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »

Excellent update. Smiley I was beginning to think Nixon wouldn't get his parties nomination.

Yeah, You'd be suprised about how many Republicans detested Nixon with a passion in the 1950's, I figured since he's only been in office a few months by the start of the primaries and doesn't have the strong sineuy relationship with members of his own party like LBJ did. I think it's very reasonable for a man like Harold Stassen(Who would take advantage but sealing up the Progressive wing's fear of a McCarthite-lite President) and Bill Knowland(Who represented the GOP nacesent Conservaitve wing, and just hated Nixon's guts for no particular reason that I could find) to challenge him from the Presidency. 1960 will be a very different story I promise you

Thanks for the replies Xuande, Vosem, and Kal...annyone else have any thoughts, comments, suggestions...poker tips?lol

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »

speaking of California politicians.. any future plans for Earl Warren?
Historico
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 02:58:20 PM »

speaking of California politicians.. any future plans for Earl Warren?

He's still the Chief Justice ITTL, Ike appointed him in 1953 during the first couple of months of first year of office. He'll be battling with Tricky Dick for years to come through the Courts.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »

Ha, I've been following this on AH.com! Excellent stuff, as always.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies