What is of greater interest to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:13:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is of greater interest to you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: A property rights question-
The right to have a minimal amount of property so that you have a stake in the legal, social and economic system

The right to optimize the value of your property through having an absolute right to exclude others from your property

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: What is of greater interest to you?  (Read 1468 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »

shoot.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:47:45 AM »

I don't get the question.  Are you saying that property value goes up if it becomes exclusive?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 03:21:38 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 04:02:16 AM by Senator PiT »

I guess the second option since I want to have an absolute right to exclude others from my property, though I agree with Four49 that it's a strange question.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:58:42 AM »

The right to optimize the value of your property through having an absolute right to exclude others from your property
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:09:52 AM »

I often wonder where questions like this come from.  What the catalyst was.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:13 AM »

I guess the second option since I want to have an absolute right to exclude others from my property, though I agree with Four49 that it's a strange question.

Same for me.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22:51 AM »

The question is similar to striking the correct balance in terms of planning controls - should someone be able to construct whatever they like on their property, or should the concerns of their neighbours be factored into the planning decision, and if their concerns are factored in - to what extent should they be weighted? ie. should someone be allowed to build an apartment block or a factory on their land against the wishes of their neighbours? It's a question I wrestle with because obvious there's more freedom in allowing whatever to be built wherever, but at the same time, it isn't fair on neighbours to find their land suddenly devalued because of a decision made by their neighbour.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »

The first is a legitimate interest, indeed a human right. The second is not.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »

Same for me.

^^^^^^
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

Other - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I think public domain should be limited to things which specifically are used for the public good (i.e. freeways and schools) and should not be abused to clear land for private use such as building a new wal-mart.

I think reasonable zoning laws are acceptable.   NIMBYS do affect property values after all.

Whether or not either of these have anything to do with the question, I have no idea.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:10:08 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 03:16:56 AM by The Tooth Weasel »

You are taking this question too narrowly. What I am asking is not about real property, but any sort of entitlement that you have earned or been given a right to own.

Basically, what I am trying to figure out is that the role of property in society could be the crux of the entire D v. R things.

People say what separates them in the size of government, class wars or freedom... I think that if that was the case, Republicans should be the pro-choice, pro-gay party and that the Democrats would be the neo-con foreign policy party.

If the Republicans said they were the party of moral values, they would also be the party of universal health care, pacificism, as well as their anti-abortion and homosexual doubting. The democrats would be the party of business and sportsmen.

What I am trying to do is figure out what our great national debate is really about. I think it runs deeper than any one issue or any 15 second sound byte. Why do people line up in the ways that they do? I've been actually making dumb questions and dumb answers on this site in order to get people to think about this...but they haven't put that many resources into it.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »

You are taking this question too narrowly. What I am asking is not about real property, but any sort of entitlement that you have earned or been given a right to own.

Basically, what I am trying to figure out is that the role of property in society could be the crux of the entire D v. R things.

People say what separates them in the size of government, class wars or freedom... I think that if that was the case, Republicans should be the pro-choice, pro-gay party and that the Democrats would be the neo-con foreign policy party.

If the Republicans said they were the party of moral values, they would also be the party of universal health care, pacificism, as well as their anti-abortion and homosexual doubting. The democrats would be the party of business and sportsmen.

What I am trying to do is figure out what our great national debate is really about. I think it runs deeper than any one issue or any 15 second sound byte. Why do people line up in the ways that they do? I've been actually making dumb questions and dumb answers on this site in order to get people to think about this...but they haven't put that many resources into it.

Its not a simple answer to give of why people line up the way they do.   60% has nothing to do with the actual issues, its more personal feeling then the care of nations best interest.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 07:19:31 AM »

Yes, it's clearly our fault your questions are too off the wall for us to understand.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »

Perhaps I am trying to get people to think?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »

Perhaps I am trying to get people to think?

You over asked the question.

You are basically asking why do people stick to a certain set of political views.

I can't answer that, nor is there one answer.  Many factors come into play.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

The former.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: