did "Bob Dole" kill Atlas Forum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:57:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  did "Bob Dole" kill Atlas Forum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: did "Bob Dole" kill Atlas Forum?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: did "Bob Dole" kill Atlas Forum?  (Read 7003 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 12:39:04 AM »

No. He made the Forum Community board a less mature place, but far worse things have happened to the forum in the past.

Totally agree.

And this back and forth fighting needs to stop (BRTD, Duke, DC_united, Boss Tweed, etc).  Settle it in the PM section, not in public.  It's crap like this that's the reason we lost Gabu.

I wouldn't need to fight it if these kids would quit with their personal attacks and slander. I can only sit back and take so much of it before it gets annoying.

Well, I apologized in a civil manner through a PM with you.

Yes, and I appreciate that. I wasn't necessarily referring to you in that post.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 12:40:21 AM »

No. He made the Forum Community board a less mature place, but far worse things have happened to the forum in the past.

Totally agree.

And this back and forth fighting needs to stop (BRTD, Duke, DC_united, Boss Tweed, etc).  Settle it in the PM section, not in public.  It's crap like this that's the reason we lost Gabu.

I wouldn't need to fight it if these kids would quit with their personal attacks and slander. I can only sit back and take so much of it before it gets annoying.

Well, I apologized in a civil manner through a PM with you.

Yes, and I appreciate that. I wasn't necessarily referring to you in that post.

Okay then, I just wanted to start repairing my damage.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:54 AM »

No, of course not. This may be a symbol of something, but you are confusing cause and effect.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 12:43:27 AM »

I agree with Duke and Boss Tweed, this is an issue for the whole forum and there's no reason to have to put up with it.  They're the only ones with enough balls to actually say what they mean and stand up to the trolls.  Not everyone is afraid of confrontation and it's about time someone did something.  Maybe if these people actually knew how we all felt, we wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of lonely teenagers that offer no political insight whatsoever on a POLITICAL BOARD.  Which gives me a nice segue into my nasty message: If you don't have any interest in politics, feel free to post pictures of yourself and internet quizzes all over Yahoo's boards or MySpace and Facebook.  The Forum Community has taken on a life of its own completely separate from the rest of the Forum and it's a hot bed for useless posting.  My thoughts boiled down into one sentence are that those posters whose post count is almost entirely Forum Community or Off Topic should be reconsidering their position on the Forum because those of us with an actual interest in political discussion would like the rest of our Forum back. Wink

You've been here longer than I have, but wasn't the point of the forum community board to foster a sense of community amongst the posters?  It seems like this is the place on the forum for them to go.

I do agree, though, that if the people don't post much on the other boards, then maybe they shouldn't be here.  But I don't think we should fault people who post a lot on this board, as long as they do contribute to the other boards.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 12:44:05 AM »

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 12:45:04 AM »

Did you just discover Google Images tonight, Lunar?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »

That's not a google image search, click the link
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:17 AM »

That's not a google image search

Are you just not in a talkative mood?

I've considered going to another board and being a troll who only posts images in order to communicate. Not that you're a troll or that these images aren't entertaining, but it reminded me of my secret desire.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 12:49:21 AM »

I agree with Duke and Boss Tweed, this is an issue for the whole forum and there's no reason to have to put up with it.  They're the only ones with enough balls to actually say what they mean and stand up to the trolls.  Not everyone is afraid of confrontation and it's about time someone did something.  Maybe if these people actually knew how we all felt, we wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of lonely teenagers that offer no political insight whatsoever on a POLITICAL BOARD.  Which gives me a nice segue into my nasty message: If you don't have any interest in politics, feel free to post pictures of yourself and internet quizzes all over Yahoo's boards or MySpace and Facebook.  The Forum Community has taken on a life of its own completely separate from the rest of the Forum and it's a hot bed for useless posting.  My thoughts boiled down into one sentence are that those posters whose post count is almost entirely Forum Community or Off Topic should be reconsidering their position on the Forum because those of us with an actual interest in political discussion would like the rest of our Forum back. Wink

You've been here longer than I have, but wasn't the point of the forum community board to foster a sense of community amongst the posters?  It seems like this is the place on the forum for them to go.

I do agree, though, that if the people don't post much on the other boards, then maybe they shouldn't be here.  But I don't think we should fault people who post a lot on this board, as long as they do contribute to the other boards.

Exactly, it's the place for all of US to go to discuss the Forum Community.  They have nothing to do with the Forum, they just want a community.  This isn't meant to be an internet chat room for whoever, it's meant as a place for those of us posting in the Forum to connect and foster a sense of community.  It shouldn't be the primary purpose of posting here, politics should.

Good point, there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »

I edited the post quickly Meeker.  The point of the image was the link that occurs should one actually click on it.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 12:51:12 AM »

I agree that this place should be a place to create a sense of community, but we are getting more and more lonely teenagers who just come here to make trouble. The only other forum I post on is the Wake Forest sports forum, and all the users there post about sports and Wake Forest athletics. We do have a forum community too, but it's less popular than the sports section. We are getting people here now that have no clue about politics creating all kinds of crap and engage in name calling, computer hacking, and immature chatter. This just isn't the place for that. We have Facebook, AIM, cell phones for that. Besides, when someone shares their opinion on something, if it doesn't fit these kids' world view specifically, they think you are some sort of idiot or pervert. I'm just tired of this crap. I'm sure DC_United is a decent girl and means well, but I have no idea why she posts here. If I see another post from her asking us to share our deepest secrets, I think I'll scream.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »

I edited the post quickly Meeker.  The point of the image was the link that occurs should one actually click on it.

Ahh, I see.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »

Kill? No. Brutally assault? Yes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57:40 AM »

Everyone really needs to get over themselves and realize that no one on here is in no way important. (And by this I mean everyone on the forum, including myself)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 12:58:29 AM »

Everyone really needs to get over themselves

Ok!

and realize that no one on here is in no way important.

What about me? 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 01:06:13 AM »

Everyone really needs to get over themselves and realize that no one on here is in no way important. (And by this I mean everyone on the forum, including myself)

Hold on.  Was that intended to be a double negative?  Just want to make sure. Tongue

I'm tired, so I'll just say it again in a different way. Nobody on this forum is important in any way, besides Dave who most of the time doesn't even seem to listen to us Mods. Tongue
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »

Hold on.  Was that intended to be a double negative?  Just want to make sure. Tongue
I'm tired, so I'll just say it again in a different way. Nobody on this forum is important in any way, besides Dave who most of the time doesn't even seem to listen to us Mods. Tongue

Oh, ok that's different then, haha.  I interpreted it as meaning everyone was important, which I guess is the same in a sense that no one is any more important than the other...ANYWAY, I agree and disagree.  No one is of any particular worth here, but there are certain people that have no place in a political community, considering that they have no political input to offer.  I think that differentiates some from others.  Maybe not in the eyes of the overseeing Forum powers, but certainly in its community.  That gives some more worth than others in a sense.  And it is all relative.  Blah, blah, blah, now I'm rambling on about theoretical jibber-jabber...

Really that all is just opinion, meaning yours and mine in this case which we have no power and can do nothing about it. So there are two options.

1. Ideally people will just ignore those they don't like, in your opinion those who don't contribute to the political discussion, and create less bandwidth and a lot less crap.

2. What will happen is people will continue to bitch until hell freezes over, create more bandwidth and just create crap and uslessness since they think they are important.

And now I'm rambling and tired, so pretty much can we all just stfu up about this since nothing will be done about it since all you'll be doing is helping to contribute to the problem that you don't like?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:06 AM »

I agree with Duke and Boss Tweed, this is an issue for the whole forum and there's no reason to have to put up with it.  They're the only ones with enough balls to actually say what they mean and stand up to the trolls.  Not everyone is afraid of confrontation and it's about time someone did something.  Maybe if these people actually knew how we all felt, we wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of lonely teenagers that offer no political insight whatsoever on a POLITICAL BOARD.  Which gives me a nice segue into my nasty message: If you don't have any interest in politics, feel free to post internet quizzes and pictures of yourself all over Yahoo's boards or MySpace and Facebook.  This is for the FORUM'S community, not the whole internet community.  The Forum Community has taken on a life of its own completely separate from the rest of the Forum and it's a hot bed for useless posts.  My thoughts boiled down into one sentence are that those posters whose post count is almost entirely Forum Community or Off Topic should be reconsidering their position on the Forum because those of us with an actual interest in political discussion would like the rest of our Forum back. Wink

But that's not Duke and Tweed's job.  That's why we have moderators.  When I placed some of the blame on Duke and Tweed, I forgot to place some blame on the moderators as well.

The whole quality of this forum has decreased.  And I'm not perfect either.  We could all do better, but BRTD's attitude that Gabu leaving was a good thing shows that there's at least one person who doesn't want to improve the quality of the forum.  And in cases like that, the mods can't do anything.  I don't think BRTD has done anything ban-worthy, and I wouldn't ban him.  But when he goes around tearing down great posters like Gabu, it sends a message to me that some members of this forum don't want to see the forum change for the better.

And lastly, these feuds aren't just with dealing with trolls.  We also have back and forths between Duke and BRTD, and that is just getting annoying.  Duke needs to learn to just ignore BRTD when he's being dumb.

And to Duke and Tweed, I really don't mean to take this out on you 2.  You just happened to be the last 2 posters I saw when I went off.  You 2 are 2 of my favorite posters (I know I say that about practically everybody, but I like you 2).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 01:27:35 AM »

I think Election Day killed the Atlas Forum.

The interesting minds have packed up their bags and gone home until the 2010 midterms.  This allows the Bob Doles to siege control of parliament.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 01:34:36 AM »

The interesting minds have packed up their bags and gone home until the 2010 midterms.  This allows the Bob Doles to siege control of parliament.

Well, if you're looking for interesting minds, you might want to check out another board besides "Forum Community"
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 01:37:10 AM »

Well, if you're looking for interesting minds, you might want to check out another board besides "Forum Community"

I hear there's some good and boring stuff on "International Elections".
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 01:42:58 AM »

Hey! I'm thinking of posting my experiences handing out How to Vote Cards at the municipal elections in Victoria yesterday. You can't say that's not interesting!

Well... um... maybe, perhaps you can...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 01:43:31 AM »

I'm not looking for interesting minds.  I'm just answering the question.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 01:49:08 AM »

Hey! I'm thinking of posting my experiences handing out How to Vote Cards at the municipal elections in Victoria yesterday. You can't say that's not interesting!

me going to Ohio and managing the polls would be more exciting.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 02:22:36 AM »

I want to hear about it.

Wait...municipal elections? In Victoria? How come there's no thread?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies