Who here enjoys writing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:23:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who here enjoys writing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who here enjoys writing?  (Read 1614 times)
Reluctant Republican

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:57 AM »

I'm actually working on a book at the moment. I’m like every other 20 year old who fancies himself an artist, then! But no, I have a few ideas at the moment I’m tossing around and hoping something comes out of.

My first idea is from a few years back, it involves a devoted Christian who comes to realize he’s the antichrist one day. Cue the struggle between destiny and choice, and all those complicated themes. It was meant to be humorous though, but I decided I was not doing the story justice. So I’m working on something new, which I feel better about.

But anyway, what’s everyone else up to? What’s inspiring your muse at the moment, if anything?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:23:07 AM »

I tried my hand at a fantasy novel, and I'll still work on it from time to time, but not much else, outside of the usual work for school.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:31 AM »

I love to write, but I hate to read.

Reluctant Republican

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:41 AM »

I tried my hand at a fantasy novel, and I'll still work on it from time to time, but not much else, outside of the usual work for school.

Ah. Fantasy’s not really my style, oddly enough. And yes, school’s put a damper on my plans. I just finished a paper on Obama, which is why I’m burned out on politics as well, ha ha.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:26:23 AM »

I'm currently writing my second play.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »

I'm currently writing my second play.

I've tried to write several plays, but I haven't found a style that I like.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:28:33 AM »

I enjoy writing, but I don't have the attention span/focus to concentrate on writing a novel or anything. I tried my hand several years back at poetry and also short stories, and I had some good reviews among my friends but I have't done that in a long while. These days I apply myself instead through work - writing speeches, letters and occasionally taking the time to write a decent post on the Forum (although most of my posts are quicker and I spend less time writing eloquently).
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:24 AM »

I've written 100 pages of a novel entitled "Dimension Lad".

It's epic.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:55 AM »

I used to think I could write fiction, but I realized that I'm an imaginationless hack (albeit one with a fair amount of writing skill, at least when writing pages upon pages of fluff for school). I'm sticking with writing nonfiction essays for now. Maybe I'll compile them sometime.

I do!  Probably not in the sense that others do, though.  I'm a Professional Writing minor to give you an idea of my style. Smiley

I hope you have a major you can do something with.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:30:57 AM »

I enjoy writing, but I don't have the attention span/focus to concentrate on writing a novel or anything. I tried my hand several years back at poetry and also short stories, and I had some good reviews among my friends but I have't done that in a long while.

Same here.  I wrote a poem last week for school that was very well received, but I can't really focus long enough to write something decent.  Plus, I don't plan things out, and make it up as I go along, so that creates some issues.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »

I've written several screenplays, some better than others... I've been writing in general since I was six.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 01:36:40 AM »

I used to think I could write fiction, but I realized that I'm an imaginationless hack (albeit one with a fair amount of writing skill, at least when writing pages upon pages of fluff for school). I'm sticking with writing nonfiction essays for now. Maybe I'll compile them sometime.

I do!  Probably not in the sense that others do, though.  I'm a Professional Writing minor to give you an idea of my style. Smiley

Here's a lesson you should learn before you start applying to colleges: The only things that matter about undergrad are the name of the school you get a diploma from, the diploma itself (not what it's in), what you learn in the classes you WANT to take, and the social experience.  Your major means nothing and your minor means less.  I'm a Professional Writing minor and an Economics major because those are the classes I want to take and the things I want to learn.

What are you planning when you get out?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 01:38:12 AM »

Here's a lesson you should learn before you start applying to colleges: The only things that matter about undergrad are the name of the school you get a diploma from, the diploma itself (not what it's in), what you learn in the classes you WANT to take, and the social experience.  Your major means nothing and your minor means less.  I'm a Professional Writing minor and an Economics major because those are the classes I want to take and the things I want to learn.

Yeah. I am at a loss at exactly what I want to major in, but I am leaning towards either business or economics myself. I ultimately want to go into corporate law, and Wake's advisors tell me I could be a writing major for all they care to do that. Economics and business aren't exactly the best majors as they kill your GPA which hurts when I apply to law school. I probably should major in writing the more I think about it. Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 01:39:14 AM »

Yeah. I am at a loss at exactly what I want to major in, but I am leaning towards either business or economics myself. I ultimately want to go into corporate law, and Wake's advisors tell me I could be a writing major for all they care to do that. Economics and business aren't exactly the best majors as they kill your GPA which hurts when I apply to law school. I probably should major in writing the more I think about it. Tongue

My plan is to major in political-science, or history.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 01:42:16 AM »

My plan is to major in political-science, or history.

That's also an option. I guess I'll know more when I find out if I got into the Business School or not. I just applied. But accounting has been awful, so that might seal my fate. I love history and poli sci, so that's still a possibility.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 01:42:28 AM »

Writing fiction is easy.  You just need to ramble until an interesting topic comes to mind.

Example:
Physics is the science of matter and motion.
Matter like the grains of sand swept up by the ocean.
Motioning of the waves.  The energy.
Human energy.  Love.  Obsession. Passion.
I've never really understood what passion fruit is; I've heard of it but have never seen one.
I've also never eaten a mango or pomegranate before yet have drank things flavored after them millions of times.  I wonder if they really taste anything like Splenda-sweetened Hansen's.

This could take awhile, but trust me: I've come up with some amazing topics using this rambling method.  It just takes a lot of rambling sometimes, but when you find the right one you'll know.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 01:44:52 AM »

I wrote two short stories. One was about a former leader of the Illuminati returning to regain his lost title, revive his fallen wife, & slay the dragon that killed his parents. It's told from the perspective of the main antagonist, actually.

The other was about the Illuminati (under the aforementioned former leader's command) inciting a world war in order to reclaim the Indus river valley so they could rebuild their 1,500-floor Neutronium tower to keep peace over the world.

They weren't that great, but eh, I liked them. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 02:24:38 AM »

I'll be heading to NYC to be something like a market analyst (likely can't be one right out of school, but I'll head down that path) hopefully where my dad works (not looking likely anymore) while going to grad school at NYU to refine my future goals.  I don't have a specific career in mind quite yet, but things like public relations and real estate interest me a lot.  I'd also like a law degree, but that'll have to be on the back burner until I know I can at least pay for grad school.

I've actually been thinking corporate law for a while now.  Pretty cool.  I'm getting worried about how my major will affect my prospects for grad school, too.  I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Excellent. My mom has begun to insist that I double major, and that she choose one of the subjects. I plan to use this anecdotal evidence to the fullest.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 03:24:56 AM »

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »

I liked to write a lot in Grade 8 (and even 9) and even joined an afternoon writing club with my friend. I wrote a cheap ass lol novella on the Russian Revolution of 1905 with some peasants escaping to Finland. I also wrote a book called "Combat in the Clouds" about some Serbian pilots fighting in the French air service in WWI. I was going to write a sequel about the same pilots in WWII, but I never got around it.

I still write some short stuff.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 10:28:41 AM »

I wrote a cheap ass lol novella on the Russian Revolution of 1905 with some peasants escaping to Finland.

If you had changed "peasants" to "liberals", it would've been a true story.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »

I'd like to enjoy writing, but my excessive perfectionism destroys me. The most things I have ever written have all been in my head, it loses its magic went put onto paper/a screen.

Yeah, I should probably write more. And I type that as I now online as to avoid writing an essay for college. Oh well.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 11:39:21 AM »

There are two many writers these days.  We can witness this even on the Atlas Forum, where ignorant people with absolutely nothing to say are always saying something.  If you could write out every post on this forum in history, it'd be thousands and thousands and thousands of pages of texts.  Very little of it would be worth saving.

I've noticed that the most valuable posters tend to be the ones who don't post very often.  Those who do post often, however, come to the forum, take an intellectual sh**t, and then leave.  Or stay online all day long, blogging and filling the internet with more tripe.  It's so sad it's hysterical.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »

Love it. Actually I'm working on multiple stories at once right now. It helps when I run out of ideas for one of them.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 06:59:27 PM »

Of course. Its one of my favourite things to do off the forum.

However, saying this, I haven't written anything for a while now. Though I should consider. The last play I wrote, regarding a New Years Eve Party set in 1999 went down really well in class, or at least it did with my teachers Wink.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies