Talk of Palin opposing Murkowski?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:11:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Talk of Palin opposing Murkowski?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Talk of Palin opposing Murkowski?  (Read 1665 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »

Just saw this on CNN. Interesting idea. I don't think it's smart if she's planning a run for President. I'd be all for this though. I'm no fan of Murkowski.

Apparently, Murkowski was the one commenting on this to the Politico, saying it would be a tough race.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »

Well, one would presume that no Murkowski would be a fan of Palin either (though it would kind of funny to have killed both Murkowskis off).  I doubt she'd do it, myself.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:04:39 PM »

Yeah but if she did it, I think it's safe to say that she'd be favored. The woman has a sky high approval rating and Murkowski has never been a popular figure (I doubt her approval rating has gotten much higher than 50%). Hell, I think Palin would have been favored even if she didn't run in 2008. Her stock may have taken a serious hit nationally but I think the base in Alaska is more energized behind her.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »

Here's the big article on it:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16112.html

Murkowski to Palin: "LEAVE MY SEAT ALONE - IT'S NOT A 2-YEAR SHORT-STOP ON THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE OKTHX"
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »

Here's the big article on it:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16112.html

Murkowski to Palin: "LEAVE MY SEAT ALONE - IT'S NOT A 2-YEAR SHORT-STOP ON THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE OKTHX"

Well, she's right about that. It would make no sense for Palin to serve in the Senate for six months (at the very most) before running for President. That being said, Murkowski sounds awfully desperate to keep Palin away. "Please, don't hurt me! It won't help you in the long run. Spare me! Spare me!"
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »

Lisa Murkowski certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.  I would certainly support Palin in a run against Murkowski.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »

If there is anyone who should be primaried in 2010 its Lisa Murkowski. She is a political hack trying to serve a political order that started to bleed in 2006, with her daddy's loss to Sarah Palin, and died in 2008 with the defeat of Ted Stevens. She is representative of the old political order of "Me Too"earmarks and big Gov't and needs to be sent packing along with the other remnant Don Young. So if Sarah wants to go for it I am all for it. She is young, she does not need to run in 2012. The Senate could give her the extra experience she needs.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »

Lisa Murkowski certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.  I would certainly support Palin in a run against Murkowski.

A race between dumb and dumber.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 02:30:56 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 02:38:29 AM by Ogre Mage »

If I were Lisa Murkowski, I would emphasize the importance of seniority in the Senate and that I plan to be a senator for life.  Palin is just using the office as a stop along the way to the White House.  Murkowski would be in a stronger position to argue her importance if she could get a spot on the Senate Appropriations or Finance Committee.  Maybe with Uncle Ted gone, she can argue that Alaska deserves it.  LOL.

If Palin were interested in serving Alaska instead of having national ambitions, a less disruptive route might be to run for re-election for Governor in 2010.  Then, at the end of her second term in 2014, she can challenge Begich, who will just be finishing up his first term.  If you're going to knock off a sitting senator, after the first term is generally the best opportunity.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:35 AM »

I'm not sure if Alaskans would care if Palin used their Senate vote to better obtain the presidency.  They'd be ecstatic at anything they could do to assist her presidential bid and really put Alaska on the map.  Sacrificing minor seniority would be a pretty nuanced and minor sacrifice for that aim.

Besides, it's the Alaskan electorate that's f*&*$@ing crazy

I think it'd be an easy win for Palin if she wanted the senate spot
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 03:33:59 AM »

After what we saw during this campaign, does the Alaska electorate really believe that Palin would have a good chance of winning the Presidency?  The Couric interview alone is a treasure trove of potential negative ads. 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »

A race between dumb and dumber.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »

Yeah but if she did it, I think it's safe to say that she'd be favored. The woman has a sky high approval rating

When was the last time Palin's approval rating in Alaska was measured?  Have there been any polls of that since the election?  I know it was ~80 before she was chosen as running mate...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »

When was the last time Palin's approval rating in Alaska was measured?  Have there been any polls of that since the election?  I know it was ~80 before she was chosen as running mate...

It was routinely measured during the campaign.  I think she's down in the mid-to-upper-sixties now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »

If I were Lisa Murkowski, I would emphasize the importance of seniority in the Senate and that I plan to be a senator for life.
And then pass it on to the next generation of Murkowskis!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

If the Republicans are dumb enough to appoint a Murkowski to the appropriations committee they deserve to be in the minority. I say Sarah go for it. If somebody doesn't take her out in the primary I will endorse the Democrat whoever that is just like I did with Begich.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies