Zell Miller Backs Saxby Chambliss
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Zell Miller Backs Saxby Chambliss  (Read 4078 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »

By W. James Antle, III on 11.28.08 @ 1:13AM

Sen. Saxby Chambliss received welcome support from Georgia's last Democratic senator, Zell "Give 'Em Hell" Miller. Miller said that Chambliss was the last man standing in the way of the Democrats' "far-left agenda," which may be true if enough ballots materialize to give Al Franken a Senate seat from Minnesota. Miller has mostly been backing Republicans recently, making Joe Lieberman look like Paul Wellstone by comparison, but "Zig Zag Zell" did endorse Max Cleland over Chambliss in 2002.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »

Zell Miller is no Democrat.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »

You know who else spoke at the RNC?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »

He can go die for all I care.
The Populist
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »

jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »

He's to the right of most republicans.  He wants a national sales tax and the end of popular election of senators.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »

I wonder why he waited until after the election.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »

He's to the right of most republicans.  He wants a national sales tax and the end of popular election of senators.

The latter doesn't sound like a right-wing view to me. Just a highly unconventional one. (National sales tax is not inherently right-wing, either; it's only right-wing if it's to replace the income tax. Although that is of course what Miller supports.)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

The latter doesn't sound like a right-wing view to me. Just a highly unconventional one. (National sales tax is not inherently right-wing, either; it's only right-wing if it's to replace the income tax. Although that is of course what Miller supports.)

Miller => Isakson may have actually been a leftward trend in the voting of that seat.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »

At least he didn't endorse Chambliss.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »

Zell Miller loves to keep the (D) to hopefully have moderates and undecideds rub in our faces "See, there be a Democrat that doesn't support that."
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 04:51:30 AM »

Zell Miller loves to keep the (D) to hopefully have moderates and undecideds rub in our faces "See, there be a Democrat that doesn't support that."

That (D) won us the 2004 election, I tell you what.

Oops.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:57 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 05:06:02 AM by phknrocket1k »

That (D) won us the 2004 election, I tell you what.

Oops.

I credit Bush's 2004 victory more with the motivation of apolitical social conservatives to the come to the polls.

Zell Miller is what likely made nearly all Southern States +10% for Bush, excepting Virginia and pretty much made West Virginia un-winnable for Kerry. Probably padded Bush's Ohio victory by 15,000 votes.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:58:58 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 07:07:14 AM by Mike Keller »

We need more Zell Millers in the party actually.

The only thing keeping me from being republican is neoconservatives and republicans anti -union economics. Sadly Zell seems to support, although he's right about the direction of the party.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »

Only because he's not from Georgia.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 09:10:43 AM by Farack Abu Mawusi »

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Lieberman knows that if he wants to retain any influence in his committee, he must not appear as just a second Zell Miller turncoat.

Anyways, Zell Miller is old news. I'm surprised anybody still cares.

This piece though...

By W. James Antle, III on 11.28.08 @ 1:13AM

Sen. Saxby Chambliss received welcome support from Georgia's last Democratic senator, Zell "Give 'Em Hell" Miller. Miller said that Chambliss was the last man standing in the way of the Democrats' "far-left agenda," which may be true if enough ballots materialize to give Al Franken a Senate seat from Minnesota. Miller has mostly been backing Republicans recently, making Joe Lieberman look like Paul Wellstone by comparison, but "Zig Zag Zell" did endorse Max Cleland over Chambliss in 2002.
apart from the fact that it reached us a little late, is just insane hackery. "Mostly?" He last endorsed a Democrat in a race anybody cared about in 2002, before he completed the shift from dinoish Democrat to uberpartisan Republican with a democratic voter registration card.* "Which may be true?" Lol. That supposes that Democrats - all Democrats, or at least all Democratic Senators - have a "far-left agenda" to act on that Ben Nelson has somehow been hiding from public view so far. And it attaches a downright inane level of importance to those 60 seats.
What news outlet did his murderous attempt on public perceptions of reality creep out from?

*Note that I said "completed". He was well on his way then, he just wasn't there yet. Oh, and the point of cleverly getting omgAl Frankenomg into the piece near the "far-left" didn't pass unnoticed here either.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

What news outlet did his murderous attempt on public perceptions of reality creep out from?

The author writes for The American Conservative.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 05:12:30 PM »

No.  He keeps the "D" because keeping it gets him occasional attention in the press.  If he were an "R" or even a "C" (as are more in keeping with his outlook)...he would be just one of many.

And amusingly, Zell Miller as a Republican would be almost as laughable as Zell Miller as a Democrat.  Because there are plenty of highly-intelligent Republicans.  While Miller's politics might match theirs, his intellect surely wouldn't.

I still think we should do trades like in baseball.  We'll trade you Miller, Lieberman and a Congressman to be named later for Olympia Snowe.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 07:17:50 PM »

No.  He keeps the "D" because keeping it gets him occasional attention in the press.  If he were an "R" or even a "C" (as are more in keeping with his outlook)...he would be just one of many.

And amusingly, Zell Miller as a Republican would be almost as laughable as Zell Miller as a Democrat.  Because there are plenty of highly-intelligent Republicans.  While Miller's politics might match theirs, his intellect surely wouldn't.

I still think we should do trades like in baseball.  We'll trade you Miller, Lieberman and a Congressman to be named later for Olympia Snowe.

Screw you, we'll give you Chafee.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »

You already released Chafee.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »

Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »

You guys didn't pick him up on waivers, did you. I think we still technically own his rights.

Whatever, we'll give you Snowe and Mary Bono for Ben Nelson and Lincoln Davis.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »

You guys didn't pick him up on waivers, did you. I think we still technically own his rights.

Whatever, we'll give you Snowe and Mary Bono for Ben Nelson and Lincoln Davis.

Actually Zell has already been paid for with Jim Jeffords. When he left we approach Miller about jumping ship he said no but I think he may have coped a deal with the GOP(like retiring in a GOP year). As for Leibermen he is to liberal for us. You guys forget that the war is the only issue he agrees with us on. Snowe despite her liberal leanings is to important to give away and she is very attached to the GOP unlike Jeffords and Chafee. I actually don't mind having the two Maine ladies in the Senate as Republicans. We can't give away Mary Bono either because she just married a Conservative Republican from Florida who I have got my eye on for the Senate in either 2010 or 2012. Wouldn't look good to have your wife do a Jim Jeffords when you are conservative running in a primary you know.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 07:48:56 AM »

As for Leibermen he is to liberal for us. You guys forget that the war is the only issue he agrees with us on.
No matter how many times FOX and Lieberman repeat it doesn't make it true. He's no Zell Miller on other issues of course, but he's always been a Moderate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »

He's no Zell Miller on other issues of course, but he's always been a Moderate.

Which is why he needs to stay.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies