Poll: Name the winner in the great Georgia U.S. Senate runoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:17:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Poll: Name the winner in the great Georgia U.S. Senate runoff
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Poll
Question: Name the winner in the great Georgia U.S. runoff
Saxby Chambliss, Republican

Jim Martin, Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Poll: Name the winner in the great Georgia U.S. Senate runoff  (Read 26748 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
« edited: December 02, 2008, 09:31:39 PM by cinyc »

84% in:
     Candidates    Party    Votes     % of Votes     
     Saxby Chambliss    Republican    1,019,389     59.0%     
     Jim Martin    Democratic    708,816     41.0%     
     Totals    1,728,205     

Half of Fulton and Clayton are still out.  About 17% of Dekalb is also out.

Edit: Straightlining Clayton would give a 37% turnout rate versus November.  Clayton was one of Martin's best counties in November.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »

Actually, Chambliss is a great Senator, and deserved his crushing win over Martin.

Congratulations Saxby.

He probably is. I just like to make sure that when they are replaced they are replaced with a more firm oponent of pork barrel spending and corruption. There are senators in much more pressing need of retirement or defeat. One of them got it this year. Chambliss probably is a great Senator and I agree with him 95% of the time and he definately deserved his victory over Martin.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »

When will people get off Max Cleland. He was too liberal in a state that was definately shifting Republican. Just look at the Govenors race that year or the State legislature.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »

When will people get off Max Cleland. He was too liberal in a state that was definately shifting Republican. Just look at the Govenors race that year or the State legislature.

Then why did Chambliss need to run that dirty campaign?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »

I believe the winner will be a white, Protestant male over the age of 60 who attended the University of Georgia.

I win! Cheesy
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »

I didn't think it all that dirty considering how low regard I hold Max Cleland. He probably didn't need to but I am glad that it turned out the way it did.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:13 PM »

Hmm, I'm trying to be offended by that ad, I really am, but it just seems to be a standard political attack ad that we've all seen a million times. Should he not be attacked as a politician because he's disabled?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »

Expected but still depressing. This is a clear-cut case of "Good versus Evil" and unfortunately evil triumphed on this day.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »

Martin was also too liberal.  I got far more offended of an ad run of Martin awkwardly holding a "Women for Obama" sign as they talked about him supporting sex predators. Roll Eyes  But Martin has all of his limbs so it's ok.

Just got back from the Gym.  Alas.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »

Martin was also too liberal.  I got far more offended of an ad run of Martin awkwardly holding a "Women for Obama" sign as they talked about him supporting sex predators. Roll Eyes  But Martin has all of his limbs so it's ok.

I agree. The Dems should have found a much better candidate. But they spent more time convincing Jim Marshall not to run then they did recruiting a Conservative Democrat to run.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 10:05:35 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

With 92% Reporting
Chambliss 58.3
Martin 41.7%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2008, 10:04:36 PM »

This was a nice victory. It would have been such a pity to see another moderate Republican go down.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2008, 10:09:40 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

This was a nice victory. It would have been such a pity to see another moderate Republican go down.

Yea like Musgrave, Sali, and almost Bachmen

and I remember it was a sad day when the great centrist Senator from PA Rick Santorum was defeated in 2006.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »

Let's get real - Musgrave was slightly right of center. Sali and Bachmann are right down the middle, though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2008, 10:09:05 PM »

You know, I was half-tempted to make the 15-point Chambliss call this afternoon because it felt like that type of race.  Decided to stay conservative with the calls - such is life.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:09 PM »

I agree. The Dems should have found a much better candidate. But they spent more time convincing Jim Marshall not to run then they did recruiting a Conservative Democrat to run.

I'm mostly amused that the Democrats all arms about the Cleland ad while the ad against Martin was 10 times as offensive to me (but went completely unnoticed) since it insinuated that Martin was some kind of sex predator.   The ad against Cleland just implied that his policies assisted Osama in knocking down the towers (something that Cleland actually believes).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »

You know, I was half-tempted to make the 15-point Chambliss call this afternoon because it felt like that type of race.  Decided to stay conservative with the calls - such is life.

Have you ever not made a prediction error because of being too conservative in your call?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »

We know, Sam - you are always right.

Do you ever get tired of always being right, Sam?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2008, 10:14:48 PM »

We know, Sam - you are always right.

Do you ever get tired of always being right, Sam?

Why are you being snarky?  He did better than 95% of us and isn't even rubbing it in.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »

Let's get real - Musgrave was slightly right of center. Sali and Bachmann are right down the middle, though.

We also lost Goode and in 2006  JD Hayworth. The loss of those fine centrists was really a blow as well
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »

Why are you being snarky?  He did better than 95% of us and isn't even rubbing it in.

I know someone else who was pretty accurate with this one. He's always wrong though so we won't give him credit.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2008, 10:17:37 PM »

Have you ever not made a prediction error because of being too conservative in your call?

Oh, dear God, no.  I've made of errors with *out there* predictions.  In fact, I'm made plenty of errors period, regardless of what CfromNJ might say.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:32 PM »

I think it's insanely obvious that Martin is going to win to anyone who's not a hack

I guess by your "reasoning" the overwhelming majority of the posters on this thread are hacks.

LOL.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »

Ok CARL, I'll admit I took you off ignore for that.

Sarcasm must not be your Forté.  I gave Chambliss 8-1 odds of winning and I see now it was more like 25-1.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »

Oh, dear God, no.  I've made of errors with *out there* predictions.  In fact, I'm made plenty of errors period, regardless of what CfromNJ might say.

Everybody makes mistakes. At least you go into the minutest details to make your predictions as close as possible. Some don't even try to be close.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies