My last Post
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:24:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My last Post
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: My last Post  (Read 2931 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »

Right now what I see is a bunch of posters republicans, and democrats who pretty much agree with eachother on social issues - because they want to save grace.

That's the complete opposite of what I've seen here over the past 5 years.

You must haven't been paying attention?   Most of the republicans hold no real republican social views and I'm shocked ... abortion/ gay marriage are the foundation of their core beliefs. They don't defend them and allow the other side to pretty much have their way.  I'm not all that Conservative on social issues in reality because I'm only 23 years old.  It could be that you have a bunch of soft Mitt Romney type republicans here?  Another thing is maybe the rules for posting in the social. community need some reform because its nothing but a flame fest.   Not telling you how to do your job or anything - just suggesting.  I've seen some threads talking about who's "killed the forums" and maybe the answer isn't the youngguns  DC, Bob Dole etc...   

'Most of the republicans hold no real republican social views' - are they supposed to?

I think that the problem is that you came on here expecting a 'kossack v freeper' style free for all. We do have debates and people do have opposing issues, but we are a more mixed bunch than a simple left v right forum. What alot of posters on here don't like is inconsistency in debate or in law - which is why they fell either on the no marriage for anyone, or marriage for all divide in one particular topic.

That's not the case you have soft republicans who out of fear of being bullied by the left ( which makes up most of the posters). I could have just agreed with popular Opinion and supported gay marriage which would have been being dishonest to myself, but I didn't. I stood behind my views wether you think they are inconsistant, which they're not. The real  inconsistency would come from you, when and if  get your way on gay marriage.   

Bullied by the left! We give as good as we get here (and for the record i'm a Conservative)

Yes, overall you are not a conservative, or atleast in the real world of actual politics.  Whats the whole point of even getting into a debate of gay marriage,  if you are going to dismiss people of dissenting opinion as being  inconsistent?    Its a pointless thread and sends the message that here on atlas just agree with popular OP and you will be well liked.   I could have very easily did that.   I knew it would happen after being lurker for a few months ive seen how things work.  I did it anyway because nobody else challenged your side.   That was a mistake I can see.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 12:53:32 PM by Alcon »

if you are going to dismiss people of dissenting opinion as being  inconsistent?

You'd prefer if we just ignored logical inconsistencies and just said, "everyone's entitled to his opinion"?

I don't get the point of that.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »

HIJACKING!

I'M LEAVING THE INTERNETZ!!!!1!!1ONEONEONEONE!  I'll be back in about an hour or so, BUT UNTIL THAN I AM GONED!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »

Why do you raise my hopes like that just to disappoint me after all....
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

if you are going to dismiss people of dissenting opinion as being  inconsistent?

You'd prefer if we just ignored logical inconsistencies and just said, "everyone's entitled to his opinion"?

Theres no inconsistencies in my stance on gay marriages and I'd wish you quit that LIE.

Yes, everybody is entitled to his or her opinions, but you seem to think that yours is better.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 01:00:57 PM »

Theres no inconsistencies in my stance on gay marriages and I'd wish you quit that LIE.

Yes, everybody is entitled to his or her opinions, but you seem to think that yours is better.

I'm going to put you back on unignore....it's just too much fun.

Some arguments are more LOGICAL than others...I wish you'd understand that.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »

Wait, who?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »

Well you think I should leave?  

Just so theres no inconsistencies give 5 reasons why.  
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »

why you should leave?

I don't think I need 5 reasons. One good reason should suffice. And that reason is that you contribute absolutely nothing to debate on this forum...you post offensive insults (like accusing people of race baiting....the meaning of which I'm certain you don't understand)...you basically find one thing and keep repeating it over and over again even after being asked to respond to arguments against your "opinion". Overall...you have a negative influence....and I don't like you.

There, that should be reason enough.

I will admit, though, that I do enjoy people like you in some weird way...it always makes me happy to be who I am, I guess.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »

If your arguments lacks inconsistencies, why not reply to my arguments that they do and rebut them?  Instead you're just accusing us of "race-baiting" because we applied your logic to a situation that involved race to point out its inconsistency.

I think mine makes sense, and from what you've provided, I don't think yours does.  Does that make my opinion "better"?  I don't know, but other than "it's better," what prompts you to hold opinions exactly?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »

why you should leave?

I don't think I need 5 reasons. One good reason should suffice. And that reason is that you contribute absolutely nothing to debate on this forum...you post offensive insults (like accusing people of race baiting....the meaning of which I'm certain you don't understand)...you basically find one thing and keep repeating it over and over again even after being asked to respond to arguments against your "opinion". Overall...you have a negative influence....and I don't like you.

I will admit, though, that I do enjoy people like you in some weird way...it always makes me happy to be who I am, I guess.

franzl has spoke.
Well that pretty much means i'm gone.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

why you should leave?

franzl has spoke.

You ASKED for my opinion, buddy.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

I'd laugh but this thread is too sad.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »

Yes, overall you are not a conservative, or atleast in the real world of actual politics. 

In the 'real world of actual politics' I stood as a Conservative candidate. In the real world of actual politics I hold to conservative economic positions. If what is 'conservative' to you is to simply oppose gay marriage (as you have also accused Republican forumites of not doing), then you need a crash course in politics.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »

why you should leave?

franzl has spoke.

I'm sure the rest of atlas and its mods agree.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »

why you should leave?

franzl has spoke.

I'm sure the rest of atlas and its mods agree.

Dude I don't want you to leave. Instead go to the gay marriage thread and answer Alcon's questions on the LOGICAL INCONSISTENCIES of your argument. I think you are a fine fellow but you need to have a thicker skin. We are discussing politics over the internet and it does get a little heated sometimes. Oh and please, please stop accusing people of race baiting. Just because we show the similarities between "separate but equal"( plessy v furgusen) and the "separate but equal" marriages vs civil unions argument you are making, doesn't make us race baiters. Same goes for the anti-miscenegation laws. We are just pointing out that people used similar logic to yours to justify those horrible laws. Instead of crying about it and leaving the forum why don't you show us how you AREN'T being logically inconsistent.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »

Threatening to leave because people are disagreeing with you? Why are you even on a politics forum if you can't handle opposing viewpoints?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 02:20:41 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2008, 02:24:10 PM by Alcon »

Iam not sticking around for the race baiting...

*sigh*

Oh well, dude, I don't know what's up with the defensiveness on this.  If you feel so intensely you have to nullify your opponents by accusing them of race-baiting, and completely ignoring their explanations, do as you like.  But I think that dishonestly accusing people of race-baiting doesn't make you much better than a real race-baiter.  Your opinion on that matter, of course, is your own.

If those inaccuracies make you more comfortable with your beliefs, and you're not going to change them anyway, godspeed.  If you can live with knowing that you didn't really try, so can we.

Have a good life.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »

Comparing gay rights to civil rights is not the same as racebaiting. Try again.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

lol wut
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

How can we debate maturely if you don't support your argument with anything, just by saying "I think so"?

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't expect that to keep you from criticism. Relativism ends if an opinion can be shown to be flat out wrong.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »

I knew numbnuts would decide to stay after all, sadly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »

It is odd that Mike thinks some posters are intimidated here. Mike, very few fit that category. And some Republicans on this site hold views that don't make them fit into the Free Republic motif very well, and it is because they actually hold those views, not because they feel the need to hold views sympatico  with a bunch of left of center college kids.

By the way, if you can debate with intelligence and style, you will be respected here no matter what your views really. The gang here is relatively high in socio-economic status.

Cheers.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

I'm jetting this place after never once using name calling or insults. My only crime was holding a opposing views on drug legalization and same sex marriages. Some of the board members seen fit to race bait and use insulting words like "Negro" all in the name of making a point. I didn't bring up anybodies heritage/race for sake of some debate.  Oddly enough, this is the same stuff actually taking place  in CA.    I have no use for stuff like this.

Wimp.  What a limp-wristed ballet-dancer.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2008, 07:15:53 PM »

It is odd that Mike thinks some posters are intimidated here. Mike, very few fit that category. And some Republicans on this site hold views that don't make them fit into the Free Republic motif very well, and it is because they actually hold those views, not because they feel the need to hold views sympatico  with a bunch of left of center college kids.

By the way, if you can debate with intelligence and style, you will be respected here no matter what your views really. The gang here is relatively high in socio-economic status.

Cheers.

Seriously, I used to be a Republican until a little over a month ago. Aside from a few issues (abortion, gun control), I hold extremely socially liberal positions.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies