WARNING: Attention Whore Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:21:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  WARNING: Attention Whore Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: WARNING: Attention Whore Thread  (Read 3514 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »

Well, usually I just stand up so I don't get in trouble, but just say a bunch of gibberish instead of the actual fascist words. Yesterday, however, the teacher wasn't looking in my direction, so I got away with sitting down. Funny that you of all people would stand up to a pledge that refered to the United States as "indivisible".

You actually can't get in trouble for that.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:30 PM »

Okay, I'll just tell you. I sat down during the Pledge of Allegiance.
You must live in a very conservative area. When I was in HS not even the conservatives stood for the Pledge.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »

You must live in a very conservative area. When I was in HS not even the conservatives stood for the Pledge.

Orange County, CA
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »

Well, usually I just stand up so I don't get in trouble, but just say a bunch of gibberish instead of the actual fascist words. Yesterday, however, the teacher wasn't looking in my direction, so I got away with sitting down. Funny that you of all people would stand up to a pledge that refered to the United States as "indivisible".

the SCOTUS ruled by a 6-3 vote in 1943 (WV Board vs Barnette) that no student can be forced/compelled to stand during the pledge in a public school.  I believe I exercised my constitutional right here every day while in high school.

it is really awesome when you get confronted about it because the teachers are all "omg i kno somebody that died in Iraq omgg how could you disrespect him im sending u 2 detention!"  the next day just print them out a summary of the court case and what was resolved, and watch the jingoism within said teacher cry its own set of tears.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »

it is really awesome when you get confronted about it because the teachers are all "omg i kno somebody that died in Iraq omgg how could you disrespect him im sending u 2 detention!"  the next day just print them out a summary of the court case and what was resolved, and watch the jingoism within said teacher cry its own set of tears.

Did this actually happen to you?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:11 AM »

Did this actually happen to you?

twice
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 01:14:42 AM »

Good for you. Screw the fascists.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »

I'd probably get in trouble for sitting down during O Canada. Even though I often feel like it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:24 AM »

I'd probably get in trouble for sitting down during O Canada. Even though I often feel like it.

It's a better song, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »

The 'pledge of allegiance' is recited in american high schools in 2008?!  Seems like I can barely remember it being forced upon us back in grade school in the seventies.. but I'm sure we never had any such nonsense in high school in the eighties.

I'm skeptical about the original poster's story to be honest.  Pledge of allegiance in a high school??
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »

I remember some of my entire classes wouldn't get up during the pledge in high school as long we had a teacher that didn't care. Then again, I also remember this absolutely fascist gym teacher who would scream at the top of his lungs at kids for not standing up for the pledge. Man, I'd really like to kick that guy's ass right now just thinking about it. What a scumbag.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »

I'm skeptical about the original poster's story to be honest.  Pledge of allegiance in a high school??

We say it at my school.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »

My opinion of you went up some with this post.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »

We have it on Fridays. I don't do anything except stand sometimes. I have serious religious issues with pledging allegiance to an inanimate object.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »

I'd stand sometimes, but whenever I'd recite it, I would never say "under God". After that, the PA would tell you to "remain standing for a moment of silent meditation". I would NEVER stand for that, since I believe it implies prayer.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:32 PM »

I'd stand sometimes, but whenever I'd recite it, I would never say "under God". After that, the PA would tell you to "remain standing for a moment of silent meditation". I would NEVER stand for that, since I believe it implies prayer.

What sort of school did you go to?
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

sadly, this is a PUBLIC school I'm talking about
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »

LOL. Florida is messed up.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »

LOL. Florida is messed up.
yeah, maybe they can use their beloved "moment of silent meditation" to help make the students stop being such idiots.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 11:04:49 PM »

We have it on Fridays. I don't do anything except stand sometimes. I have serious religious issues with pledging allegiance to an inanimate object.

Who is the inanimate object? The flag or God? Even as an atheist, I would have less of a problem with the latter than with the former.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »

Who is the inanimate object? The flag or God? Even as an atheist, I would have less of a problem with the latter than with the former.

The flag, of course.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »

The flag, of course.

Sometimes I feel like I should facetiously make the Hitler salute to the flag just to make a point.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »

The flag, of course.

Sometimes I feel like I should facetiously make the Hitler salute to the flag just to make a point.

Please do.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »

The flag, of course.

Please do.

The problem there is that I'd probably be in more trouble for that than for sitting down.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »

The flag, of course.

Please do.

The problem there is that I'd probably be in more trouble for that than for sitting down.

Yeah, you shouldn't do that. What I would do is say the pledge, but replace "republic" with "fascist state."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies