Measure on ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:50:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Measure on ballot
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Measure on ballot  (Read 1723 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2004, 08:46:32 PM »

I have already commented on ballot measures in a few states which may impact the presidential race there (Ohio, Oregon and Michigan).

I would be interested in other ballot measures in other states (other than the mundane).

So, please post the substance of ballot measures of a signficant type on this thread, with all the information (including your analysis).

Thank you.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 08:52:09 PM »

I have already commented on ballot measures in a few states which may impact the presidential race there (Ohio, Oregon and Michigan).

If you don't mind, could you link those posts?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 10:28:01 PM »

SC has two amendments on the ballot, neither of which would be likely to affect the presidential race even if SC were a swing state.

Amendment 1 allows bars to dump minibottles in favor of free pour.  It'll probably pass.

Amendment 2 allows corporate agribusinesses to get the same advantageous property tax assessments that family farms get.  It hasn't gotten much attention, so I have no idea how it will do.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 11:26:22 PM »

SC has two amendments on the ballot, neither of which would be likely to affect the presidential race even if SC were a swing state.

Amendment 1 allows bars to dump minibottles in favor of free pour.  It'll probably pass.

Amendment 2 allows corporate agribusinesses to get the same advantageous property tax assessments that family farms get.  It hasn't gotten much attention, so I have no idea how it will do.

Minibottles?  Man is that a dumb law.   Is South Carolina the only state that requires mini-bottles, or is this more common than I know of?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 11:37:19 PM »

SC is the only state that still requires minibottles.  Because of their size (50 ml = 1.7 fl oz) they make mixed drinks in SC more potent than they are elsewhere. They also make mixed drinks that use more than one variety of liquor rediculously expensive, so most bars don't bother with anything complicated.  MADD and the restaurant owners both support this amendment.  The biggest opposition is coming from the liquor warehousers.  They make a good deal of money off of minibottles and they have a sunk investment in the space used to store the bottles.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 12:08:17 AM »

I remember seeing a special on that on The Daily Show.
DA
dustinasby
Rookie
Japan

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 01:10:25 AM »

I was there a few months ago and heard that they might be getting rid of the airplaine bottles. I think it will be way better. Some of those drinks tasted terrible. Will you still have the plastic cups? They were so small.

Are you for or against Amendment 1? Would this actually be the first amendment your state's constitution ever had?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 07:53:23 PM »

SC usually has a couple of amendments on the ballot each general election.  We don't have the initiative process, but our process for amending our constitution requires a vote of the Assembly, a referendum at the next general election, and a vote in the Assembly as elected by that same general election.  I don't really care about that one so I may abstain.  Since I am in favor of eliminating and not extending the scope of the preferential assessment rate on agricultural property, I will be voting against the second.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies