CO Electoral vote change favored in poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:37:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  CO Electoral vote change favored in poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CO Electoral vote change favored in poll  (Read 11122 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: September 26, 2004, 05:55:22 AM »

One interpretation of the CO referendum is that it both eliminates and creates offices at the same time. It eliminates electors for the statewide winner and creates offices of electors for candidate who receive suffient votes in proportion to their vote. With this interpretation, the referendum binds the office before the electors are sworn in, so it would be effective in 2004.
But if it is a different office, then how can the candidacy filings for the office that was eliminated be valid for the the new office that was created, especially since the deadline for running for President and elector was before that for filing the initiative?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 04:10:09 AM »

I think that's an excellent question, and one I can't answer with any specifics. I'm no expert in CO election law, but I would be surprised if the backers of this initiative haven't had CO attorneys who are expert check the form of the referendum question.

I tend to assume that the referendum backers had at least some legal opinions to support their effort. Of course, one legal opinion is not the final word, and other experts in CO law may well have other interpretations. If a passed referendum changes the national result, I strongly suspect that there would be legal challenges to the application of the referendum in the current election.

Clearly they have received legal advice as to the specifics of how to go about doing something that really shouldn't be attempted to do in the first place.  I assume a lawyer would advise the best way to get around particular problems, without ensuring that it will hold up to scrutiny.

First, the US Constitution grants to the legislatures the authority to determine the manner by which electors are appointed.  But the Colorado Constitution asserts that legislative authority is reserved to the People, who have granted non-exclusive legislative authority to the General Assembly.  Proposition 36 repeats that they are acting as the legislative authority.  It also specifically provides that the General Assembly can change the manner by which electors are appointed.  This appears to be intended to head off a federal case that the legislature had not instituted the change in the manner by which electors are appointed, and that somehow the Colorado Constitution is being changed to asurp the authority of a future legislature.

Even if the referendum passes and has no effect on the national result, it will be challenged in Congress when the electoral votes are cast.

It also has sections that purport to govern how the amendment itself would be put into effect, that would override the ordinary procedures for handling amendments to the Constitution.  One would provide for an accelerated recount on the initiative itself if it were close.  Another provides for an accelerated proclaimation by the governor so that it can come into effect in time for the electors to vote.

And finally it includes a severability clause so that the proponents can argue that ti doesn't really matter if the courts rule that it can't apply to the 2004 election.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 08:33:46 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2004, 10:46:58 PM by jimrtex »

So has anybody seen a poll on this in Colorado since the one that prompted this thread to start?  What's the latest expectation for how the vote will go?
There is a report of a poll for the Pueblo Chieftan that shows a 51%-31% lead, but I couldn't find anything on the paper's web site.

The Denver Post had a poll on the presidential race today.  If they also asked questions on the senate race and Prop 36, they might be publishing these over the next few days.

Addenda 10 October The Post released their poll (conducted by Mason-Dixon) results on the Senate race today.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 06:39:33 AM »

Couldn't the electors just ignore the "split"?
The Colorado amendment would choose the electors by lot from the slate of electors for each candidate.  If Bush won 5 EV, then 5 of his 9 elector candidates would be chosen; along with 4 of the 9 Kerry elector candidates.

It is unlikely that the 4 electors in the minority would vote for the opposing presidential candidate.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:47:16 AM »

A new (Oct 13-15) poll from the Rocky Mountain News/News 4, shows the initiative trailing 35% to 49%, with 14% undecided.

Bid to split state's electoral votes lags

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies