ehrlich/coleman vs, edwards/richardson 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:01:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  ehrlich/coleman vs, edwards/richardson 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ehrlich/coleman vs, edwards/richardson 2008  (Read 11561 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2004, 09:35:53 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 10:01:47 PM »

yeah Ehrlich/Coleman would win it. I agree with the map except I'd say West Virginia would go for Edwards and I'm not so sure about Maryland. Sure they elected Ehrlich Governor but President is a whole different ball game in MD.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 10:06:16 PM »

Tennessee is Ehrlich/Coleman country!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 10:30:31 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2004, 10:42:31 PM by Better Red Than Dead »

Edwards would win Minnesota. He'd play very well outstate in the rurals, especially against a social moderate like ehrlich. And Coleman would barely help. He's pretty much hated by everyone in the state except those who vote usually Republican anyway. He'd bring out the Republican voters but that would be almost canceled out by the folks who hate turning out to vote against him. I don't know why you folks keep mentioning him for VP, he's nothing more than a turncoat political opportunist partisan hack who couldn't care less about his constituents and who barely won an election where litterally everything went PERFECT for him.

you people clearly don't know Minnesota too well if you automatically assume any "moderate" Republican would win here. The whole state outside of the Twin Cities suburbs and Rochester is pretty economically populist, but most of that is socially conservative, with some exceptions like Duluth and Mankato/St. Peter (where I live.) socially conservative populist outstaters have no reason to vote for a socially moderate pro-choice Republican like Ehlrich, especially against a candidate with a strong populist record like Edwards.

Edwards would win Wisconsin too for the same reason. As well as New Jersey. It's not a swing state, get that through your heads.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 10:42:09 PM »

Everything went perfect for Coleman? His opponent died. Just like in Missouri's 2000 Senate race, when a candidate dies their poll numbers usually go up and voters back the replacement. It gained nationwide attention and if anything it looked like Minnesota would unite behind whoever the Democrat was. Here's where it went perfect for Coleman though: For some reason the MN Dems picked the guy who barely won his homestate in '84s Presidential race. Yep, they picked Walter Mondale. But heres where it went GREAT for Coleman: That so called "memorial" service where Harkin was shouting like it was a campaign rally and the booing of Republican Senators who went to pay their respects to a late colleague. Well all that backfired ....badly. Now Minnesota is represented by the former conservative Dem turned Republican Norm Coleman. A successful Mayor of St. Paul and a candidate that overcame the odds in a difficult race.

No way did everything go perfect for Norm Coleman. The only things that did go "perfectly" for him were caused by the MN Democrats. Thank you much for helping Norm get to the Senate! Grin
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 10:51:08 PM »

everything went perfect for him because of the media making a mountain out of a molehill (did you even watch the memorial? rush limbaugh and various news services were telling things that were either blatant exaggerations or outright lies, as al franken sums up in his book)

succesful mayor of St. Paul? LMAO. Try telling that to anyone who lives in St. Paul.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 10:56:51 PM »

dont forget, coleman beat a former vice president and minnesota icon.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 11:00:58 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2004, 11:02:16 PM by Keystone Phil »

You would agree  that the MN Democratic party is the reason why Coleman won though wouldn't you, BRTD? Picking Mondale and allowing Harkin to give a speech were he thought it was a Wellstone campaign rally was their own fault. The media didn't blow it out of proportion. The portrayed it just as it was: distasteful. And when a Senator's colleagues go to pay their respects, do we have to remind them to act their age? Cmon. Now you'll have your chance to beat Coleman in '08 but that election might be a JOKE...recalling that Al Franken might be your candidate. They pick Mondale and Franken would probably win the primary (IF he runs, he's hinting that he won't jump in) in '08 yet they wonder why Coleman wins.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 11:02:28 PM »

who hadn't run for statewide office in 20 years and ran a 4 day campaign which was barely a campaign since the media was just focusing on the memorial nonsense, and lost the most in the parts of the state mostly populated by people who didn't live here 20 years ago.

facts are, Coleman does not sew up Minnesota. I'm sure you would all argue that if Mark Dayton was VP on the ticket that wouldn't automatically gaurantee the Democrat Minnesota. Well Dayton's approval ratings are higher than Coleman's, and he won by a much wider margin. Quit thinking that everyone here worships the ground he walks on.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 11:10:05 PM »

I blame the Democrats somewhat, but I blame the media more. They just highlighted the worst parts and played them over and over again acting like the whole memorial was like that, and exaggerated or lied about many things.

Sure Franken might make the election a joke, but the California Recall was the biggest joke ever. Star power works a lot, it helped Arnold run. However more likely to run than Franken is Alan Page, a state Supreme Court justice and former Vikings player. Most analysists are saying if he's the candidate he'd be the favorite.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 11:14:29 PM »

actually, coleman might help the GOP a little nationwide because they'd get a slightly higher percentage of the Jewish vote. But he would not even come close to locking up Minnesota.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 11:17:20 PM »

You guys still do "favorites" up there in Minnesota? I mean after the '98 Governor's race, I would think that would have ended. Smiley  (I'm guessing you didn't want Jesse for Governor, BRTD)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 11:19:31 PM »

No one ever said Minnesota would be locked up. It's a tough state but our chances would be better. Bush only lost by what...2 or 3% in 2000. The GOP hadn't come that close in MN since 1984.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 11:21:28 PM »

I actually liked him a lot when ran and probably would've voted for him if was old enough, since I was more moderate back then and generally supportive of any third party candidate. He turned out to be a total disaster though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 11:26:32 PM »

No one ever said Minnesota would be locked up. It's a tough state but our chances would be better. Bush only lost by what...2 or 3% in 2000. The GOP hadn't come that close in MN since 1984.

but Nader took 5% and most people don't mention that Gore pretty much took the state for granted and barely concentraded on it. All the polls so far so Kerry ahead, not a huge lead of course, but since his lead is stable and the race isn't erratic like PA, OH or WI, it's pretty clear that he's ahead.

point is though, Edwards is a much better fit for Minnesota than Ehrlich.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2004, 11:28:49 PM »

I agree that Edwards would win some rural swing counties but Ehrlich/Coleman would put up a pretty good challenge.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2004, 05:12:45 PM »

Everything went perfect for Coleman? His opponent died. Just like in Missouri's 2000 Senate race, when a candidate dies their poll numbers usually go up and voters back the replacement. It gained nationwide attention and if anything it looked like Minnesota would unite behind whoever the Democrat was. Here's where it went perfect for Coleman though: For some reason the MN Dems picked the guy who barely won his homestate in '84s Presidential race. Yep, they picked Walter Mondale. But heres where it went GREAT for Coleman: That so called "memorial" service where Harkin was shouting like it was a campaign rally and the booing of Republican Senators who went to pay their respects to a late colleague. Well all that backfired ....badly. Now Minnesota is represented by the former conservative Dem turned Republican Norm Coleman. A successful Mayor of St. Paul and a candidate that overcame the odds in a difficult race.

No way did everything go perfect for Norm Coleman. The only things that did go "perfectly" for him were caused by the MN Democrats. Thank you much for helping Norm get to the Senate! Grin

How did the Democrats help Coleman?
All this Reagan crap should have helped Kerry by similar reasoning.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 07:34:11 PM »

The funny thing about Ehrlich and Coleman is this. Both were lauded for winning in Democratic states. However, Ehrlich only won because voters were sick of the Glenndenning/Townsend way, and because Kennedy-Townsend ran a downright pathetic campaign. Coleman was helped by the fact that his popular opponent, Paul Wellstone, who I beleive would have beaten him, died in a plane crash a month before the election. Walter Mondale was not a serious candidate.

Three candidates being thrown around in 2008 help in different reigons,
Edwards- Southeast
Richardson- Southwest
Bayh- Midwest

Personally, Bayh shoudl be on the ticket in some way because many of the large battleground states are in the reigon where he is strongest.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 07:36:11 PM »

The funny thing about Ehrlich and Coleman is this. Both were lauded for winning in Democratic states. However, Ehrlich only won because voters were sick of the Glenndenning/Townsend way, and because Kennedy-Townsend ran a downright pathetic campaign. Coleman was helped by the fact that his popular opponent, Paul Wellstone, who I beleive would have beaten him, died in a plane crash a month before the election. Walter Mondale was not a serious candidate.

Three candidates being thrown around in 2008 help in different reigons,
Edwards- Southeast
Richardson- Southwest
Bayh- Midwest

Personally, Bayh shoudl be on the ticket in some way because many of the large battleground states are in the reigon where he is strongest.

Bayh wouldn't help in any state but Indiana, which no Democrat has a chance in anyway.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »

Bayh would do better in the MidWest than Hillary, at least. Anyway, he would at least make the Republican spend time and money in Indiana.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 07:50:19 PM »

Hillary is probably at the bottom of who I'd want to be the candidate. She's not even a serious pick in my view. I hate Bayh because he's a DINO, but Hillary was way too many flaws. I also really despise the way she did the blatant carpetbagging, although I would've voted for her had I lived in NY.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 10:19:25 PM »

Bayh would do better in the MidWest than Hillary, at least. Anyway, he would at least make the Republican spend time and money in Indiana.

Indiana would be Bayh solid.  He got 64%[/i] there in 1998.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies