Would Hillary have appointed Obama...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:05:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would Hillary have appointed Obama...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...to any position in her cabinet?
Quite possibly

It's doubtful

Maybe as VP, but nothing else

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Would Hillary have appointed Obama...  (Read 2084 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »

A pointless thought, I know.

While I am no fan of hers I don't object to her becoming Obama's choice for Sec of State. But I wonder, had Hillary won, if she would have appointed Obama to anything. My guess is that she may have chosen him for VP, but wouldn't appoint him to anything else otherwise.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

I dont think she would, and even if she offered I dont think he would have taken it. Taking a cabinet position could mean this is his last position in politics, if he is lucky enough to take back a Senate seat or the Governorship. I think he would have stayed in the Senate. As for VP, I think he might have accepted if she offered it.

I highly doubt she would have done either if she got the nod.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »

Only VP. Hard to see the benefit of taking a cabinet spot for Obama. And what cabinet position would have made sense for Obama?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:08:06 PM »

I think if Senator Clinton did become 44th President of the United States she would have asked Senator Obama to serve in her Administration, however, I doubt he would have accepted such an offer. If Obama were twenty years older and nearing the end of his political career, then he might have selected such an offer, like Senator Clinton accepted his offer of Secretary of State. Considering its the direct opposite I find that he most likely continued to serve in the Senate.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »

She probably would have had to take him as VP (if he wanted it).
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »

She probably would have had to take him as VP (if he wanted it).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »

VP, if she thought it necessary for her to win.  he would then have been keep thoroughly out of the loop on policy matters once they assumed office.  anything else, not.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:57:54 PM »

She couldn't pick anyone else as VP. Anyone else means black turnout hits post-Voting Rights Act lows.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »

I voted for the second option by mistake and I do believe she would have picked him for veep. He would have been the perfect vp for her if you think about it, and it would have worked with Obama's plans as well. I highly doubt she would have offered, or Obama would have accepted a cabinet position.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:35 PM »

She couldn't pick anyone else as VP. Anyone else means black turnout hits post-Voting Rights Act lows.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:06:45 AM »

I doubt he would have been in the cabinet.  Biden and Richardson would certainly be approached (and possibly Dodd) but not Obama.  As for a hypothetical VP selection, I think it depends heavily on how Hillary would have won. 

Senario 1: The results of the caucuses and primaries remain unchanged from reality but Hillary but is put over the top by the superdelegates.  In this scenario she would have no choice but to take him as VP and he would have virtually no choice but to accept.  Basically, the party leaders would be forcing the "dream ticket" and the actual candidates would be risking a major Democratic loss if either of them refused.

Scenario 2:  Hillary wins a plurality of elected delegates and needs the superdelegates to push her over the top, effectively the reverse of what actually happened.  In this scenario I would bet Hillary still offers the VP spot to Obama first but I am not 100% sure he would accept it nor would he be under as much pressure to do so.  The part of me addicted to the Kool-aid hopes that he would return to the Senate.  If he accepted, he'd forever be under the Clintons' massive thumb and I don't think he would want that.   However, the cynic in me says he would wither damn the consequences in order to lock-up the 2016 nomination or that he would be swayed enough by the pleas of party leaders in an effort to promote "unity."

Scenario 3:
  Hillary wins without the help of superdelegates.  In this scenario I don't think she would even consider him nor do I think he would even consider her offer.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:56 AM »

None of the above.   NO WAY!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies