NC-PPP: Attorney General Cooper (D) leads Senator Burr (R) by 5
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:49:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  NC-PPP: Attorney General Cooper (D) leads Senator Burr (R) by 5
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NC-PPP: Attorney General Cooper (D) leads Senator Burr (R) by 5  (Read 14458 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 09:35:41 PM »

Duke Hagan won in NC because she was liked better by the people then Dole was. When I said you were wrong about NC I was talking mostly about the Gov and Senate race.

No, Hagan won because Dole ran an incompetent campaign and because there were significant Obama coattails.  She is hardly a political figure, and it is hard to present an argument that says otherwise.

I said Hagan would win because of Obama's coattail, but she was more like by NC then Dole is. I mean just look at Dole's app. rates.

Duh, but it's mostly about Hagan being super lucky than being "liked".

This. Dole ran a terrible campaign and her support was soft to begin with. That being said, Obama's coattails pulled her through in a big way in western North Carolina which were because of the financial crisis. If that didn't happen, NC would've been a Republican state and Dole probably wins reelection. She panicked when she fell behind and began attacking Hagan for the most ridiculous things.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »

Duke Hagan won in NC because she was liked better by the people then Dole was. When I said you were wrong about NC I was talking mostly about the Gov and Senate race.

No, Hagan won because Dole ran an incompetent campaign and because there were significant Obama coattails.  She is hardly a political figure, and it is hard to present an argument that says otherwise.

I said Hagan would win because of Obama's coattail, but she was more like by NC then Dole is. I mean just look at Dole's app. rates.

This. Dole ran a terrible campaign and her support was soft to begin with. That being said, Obama's coattails pulled her through in a big way in western North Carolina which were because of the financial crisis. If that didn't happen, NC would've been a Republican state and Dole probably wins reelection. She panicked when she fell behind and began attacking Hagan for the most ridiculous things.

Hagan pulled ahead of Dole way before the financial crisis.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »

Dole was running a terrible campaign before the financial crisis. That only helped Hagan remain ahead. I still don't believe she would have won if McCain had carried NC by a comfortable margin (53-46), but this isn't worth debating. It's over.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »

Dole was running a terrible campaign before the financial crisis. That only helped Hagan remain ahead. I still don't believe she would have won if McCain had carried NC by a comfortable margin (53-46), but this isn't worth debating. It's over.

You right it is not worth debating over. But if Obama got 46% in NC Hagan would have won. 49-48-3 Hagan.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2008, 10:17:35 PM by Ronnie »

You right it is not worth debating over. But if Obama got 46% in NC Hagan would have won. 49-48-3 Hagan.

That's fairly flawed logic, because it's unlikely that Dole would have aired her "godless" ad if she wasn't in such horrible shape in the polls.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 10:17:25 PM »

That's fairly flawed logic, because it's unlikely that Dole would have aired her ad if she wasn't in such horrible shape in the polls.

No its not. Democratic Senate candidates always do about 3% better then the Democratic President candidate. Thrid parties always take about 2 to 3% that would make it a 49-48-3 hagan win.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2008, 10:25:06 PM by Ronnie »

That's fairly flawed logic, because it's unlikely that Dole would have aired her ad if she wasn't in such horrible shape in the polls.

No its not. Democratic Senate candidates always do about 3% better then the Democratic President candidate. Thrid parties always take about 2 to 3% that would make it a 49-48-3 hagan win.

Ok, if she would do 3 points better than McCain if he won 53-46, then she would still lose by 4.  Anyways, there are many other factors that made Hagan win by so much.  That includes the RNSC completely giving up on Dole in the fading days in the campaign, which resulted in a prompt campaign collapse.  Her GOTV effort was completely destroyed, as a result.  This would not have happened if the financial crisis had not happened or if McCain was in better shape.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 11:23:54 PM »

I think it's a bit bold to say GOP GOTV efforts collapsed in North Carolina.

McCain's campaign and the RNC obviously put a lot of effort into it, although they did start a month later than Obama...
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »

Burr's seat is cursed.  Obama would have to be pretty unpopular for Burr to win.

In all seriousness, no polls at this time should be taken even remotely seriously.  Let's wait until the middle of 2009, at least, before we start having polls.

I wouldn't say that. It isn't like Burr has no shot at winning reelection. Obama will need to be wildly popular for the Democrats to gain even more seats in 2010. They already have huge majorities now, and it won't stay that way forever.

If his approval rating is above 60%, Democrats would probably pick up a good number of seats in the Senate and hold about even in the House.  If its 50%-59%, Democrats will likely gain a seat or two in the Senate and suffer high single digit losses in the House.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies