NC-PPP: Attorney General Cooper (D) leads Senator Burr (R) by 5
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:06:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  NC-PPP: Attorney General Cooper (D) leads Senator Burr (R) by 5
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NC-PPP: Attorney General Cooper (D) leads Senator Burr (R) by 5  (Read 14453 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

Roy Cooper (D) - 39%
Richard Burr (R) - 34%

Approval Ratings

Cooper: 44% approve, 23% disapprove
Burr: 32% approve, 31% disapprove

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NC_1210.pdf
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »

Cooper has a higher combined approve/disapprove than Burr?  why?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »

Probably a result of the generic D vs. generic R post-election love and high amounts of undecideds.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »

nice. looks like another pick-up for us.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

Chickens, eggs, hatching.  polls two years out mean nothing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »

Well, this certainly isn't bad news, at least.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

Useless poll.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »

Chickens, eggs, hatching.  polls two years out mean nothing.

true, but 34% is bad news for an incumbent regardless.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »

While is not surprising to see Cooper in the lead considering his popularity I do have some doubts. It dosen't say what they expect Turnout to be among Young voters and AA's. Considering that in GA and both LA seats we saw a significantly decreased AA and Young voter Turnout b/c Obama wasn;t on the ticket. That might continue or OBama and his team might find away to get them out w/o Obama on the ticket. Still in a state largely determined by that change in voter compostion I think that all polls should include that data so we can have a better comparison.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too premature.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »

Get back to me in 2009 with polls in this race. For the record, I'm glad I'll intern with Burr in 2010 instead of the summer of 2011. I love the guy and I'd hate to see him lose. But the environment will most likely favor the GOP. The Democrats won't pickup seats forever.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 03:10:29 PM »

Get back to me in 2009 with polls in this race. For the record, I'm glad I'll intern with Burr in 2010 instead of the summer of 2011. I love the guy and I'd hate to see him lose. But the environment will most likely favor the GOP. The Democrats won't pickup seats forever.

No they will not, but with the change NC Burr will have a hard time winning.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »

Burr's seat is cursed.  Obama would have to be pretty unpopular for Burr to win.

In all seriousness, no polls at this time should be taken even remotely seriously.  Let's wait until the middle of 2009, at least, before we start having polls.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »

He will have a hard time, but NC went Democrat this year because everything fell perfectly for them. I doubt 2010 will have the same elements that this year had, unless the economy has rebounded tremendously and Obama has a fantastic start to his term. It's a cursed seat, but Burr is a much better candidate than Liddy Dole ever was, and is actually looked upon more favorably than Dole. But as I said, I am glad I'm interning with Mr. Burr in 2010 and not 2011, because it could flip. I just hope it doesn't.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Burr's seat is cursed.  Obama would have to be pretty unpopular for Burr to win.

In all seriousness, no polls at this time should be taken even remotely seriously.  Let's wait until the middle of 2009, at least, before we start having polls.

I wouldn't say that. It isn't like Burr has no shot at winning reelection. Obama will need to be wildly popular for the Democrats to gain even more seats in 2010. They already have huge majorities now, and it won't stay that way forever.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

He will have a hard time, but NC went Democrat this year because everything fell perfectly for them. I doubt 2010 will have the same elements that this year had, unless the economy has rebounded tremendously and Obama has a fantastic start to his term. It's a cursed seat, but Burr is a much better candidate than Liddy Dole ever was, and is actually looked upon more favorably than Dole. But as I said, I am glad I'm interning with Mr. Burr in 2010 and not 2011, because it could flip. I just hope it doesn't.

Duke, not to put you down or anything, but you were saying the same thing about Dole vs Hagan up until the last month before the election.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »

Duke, not to put you down or anything, but you were saying the same thing about Dole vs Hagan up until the last month before the election.

Everything changed when we had the financial meltdown. If I had known that was going to happen, I would've said NC was winnable. My prediction was correct. I always said NC would be 6-8% more GOP than the national average. I was correct on that mark. It was about 7% more GOP than the average. Also, Hagan's rise had more to do with Dole's horrendously run campaign + the financial meltdown + her idiotic attack ad on Hagan's religious views.

But without an unforeseeable crisis occurring, I still stand by my prediction. You got lucky and everything fell into place for NC to go Democrat. It's not like you just knew that all these events would happen. It's not like you were a prophet. NC didn't trend as hard left as you said it was. Obama just won nationally by enough that it flipped by 0.5% or so. Before the crisis, McCain was leading nationally and would've won NC easily. Dole may have as well.

Of course Burr has a chance to lose, but saying he has no chance at winning is reckless. Trends do not always continue, and the Democrats won't keep picking up seats unless they do a flawless job running the country. I highly doubt they or anyone else will in the next year or so. Our problems are just too big to fix that quickly.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »

I wouldn't say that. It isn't like Burr has no shot at winning reelection. Obama will need to be wildly popular for the Democrats to gain even more seats in 2010. They already have huge majorities now, and it won't stay that way forever.

Like I said, Duke, I was kidding.  I'm giving Burr the edge now, because of what I expect 2010 to be, but he can't get complacent.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »

Everything changed when we had the financial meltdown. If I had known that was going to happen, I would've said NC was winnable. My prediction was correct. I always said NC would be 6-8% more GOP than the national average. I was correct on that mark. It was about 7% more GOP than the average. Also, Hagan's rise had more to do with Dole's horrendously run campaign + the financial meltdown + her idiotic attack ad on Hagan's religious views.

But without an unforeseeable crisis occurring, I still stand by my prediction. You got lucky and everything fell into place for NC to go Democrat. It's not like you just knew that all these events would happen. It's not like you were a prophet. NC didn't trend as hard left as you said it was. Obama just won nationally by enough that it flipped by 0.5% or so. Before the crisis, McCain was leading nationally and would've won NC easily. Dole may have as well.

Of course Burr has a chance to lose, but saying he has no chance at winning is reckless. Trends do not always continue, and the Democrats won't keep picking up seats unless they do a flawless job running the country. I highly doubt they or anyone else will in the next year or so. Our problems are just too big to fix that quickly.

NC trended 4% from 2004 and trended 3% from 2000 to 2004, or the other way around.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »

NC trended 4% from 2004 and trended 3% from 2000 to 2004, or the other way around.

Yes. I noted it would trend 3-4% between 2004-2008 in my posts from earlier this year. Your claim was that I was wrong about NC, which I was until the financial meltdown when I changed my tone. What I said was NC would still be 6-8% more GOP than average this time, and it was.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »

Yes. I noted it would trend 3-4% between 2004-2008 in my posts from earlier this year. Your claim was that I was wrong about NC, which I was until the financial meltdown when I changed my tone. What I said was NC would still be 6-8% more GOP than average this time, and it was.

Duke Hagan won in NC because she was liked better by the people then Dole was. When I said you were wrong about NC I was talking mostly about the Gov and Senate race.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »

Duke Hagan won in NC because she was liked better by the people then Dole was. When I said you were wrong about NC I was talking mostly about the Gov and Senate race.

No, Hagan won because Dole ran an incompetent campaign and because there were significant Obama coattails.  She is hardly a political figure, and it is hard to present an argument that says otherwise.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »

No, Hagan won because Dole ran an incompetent campaign and because there were significant Obama coattails.  She is hardly a political figure, and it is hard to present an argument that says otherwise.

I said Hagan would win because of Obama's coattail, but she was more like by NC then Dole is. I mean just look at Dole's app. rates.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »

I said Hagan would win because of Obama's coattail, but she was more like by NC then Dole is. I mean just look at Dole's app. rates.

Duh, but it's mostly about Hagan being super lucky than being "liked".
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »

Duh, but it's mostly about Hagan being super lucky than being "liked".

No Dole came across as a stuck up old bag, while Hagan came across as "the avg person".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies