are you a Boss Tweed passive nihilist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  are you a Boss Tweed passive nihilist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: are you a Boss Tweed passive nihilist?  (Read 2015 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:45:10 PM »

1. existence is a burden.
2. Seinfeld is a complex, nihilistic semi-parallel to Camus' The Stranger, in which all characters gradually reject the idea of any meaning in life, culminating in their incarceration by a society that views them as dangerous, due to the underlying code of ethics that most people blindly embrace.
3. the music video made by Eminem, for his song, "The Real Slim Shady", is anarcho-primitivist.
4. sex within the context of a meaningful relationship is preferable to sex outside of a relationship.
5. Western society will slowly continue to reject (see #6) religion until the Abrahamic religions are reduced to a minority within a few centuries, presuming we do not destroy ourselves by that time.
6. this 'rejection' will be passive; people will stop caring, and will not go around burning churches.
7. the two major American political parties are fundamentally identical.  (please look up the meaning of 'fundamentally' before answering)
8. Gore won Florida.
9. Fall Out Boy is unfairly demonized.
10. acetaminophen helps to minimize the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »

Are you trying to get in the goldmine thread, or is this for real?
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »

This world is so corrupt.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »

@Mint: Can't It be both?

#1: Right now it is. But I believe in a path. I guess that is believing in Jesus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But who cares? Pascal's wager is a good bet.
#2: Don't know enough on Camus or Seinfeld to comment
#3: I literally LOLed.
#4: yes; not that I'm getting either. But yes, anyway.
#5: No, passion dictates that Apathy could only be supreme for a short period of time.
#6: See above, certain things however will fade out due to lack of care. But if they do, no-one will care.
#7: Yes, or rather one is staring at the other through a mirror
#8: Probably
#9: *shrug*
#10: Don't Smoke.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »

1. Sure
2. unfamiliar with The Stranger, but I did read something associating nihilism and Seinfeld on Wikipedia
3. haven't viewed the video
4. unsure, lean no
5. gun to my head, i'd say agree
6. gun to my head, i'd say agree 
7. Agree, but it still makes me hard to see the Democrats winning the Chicago suburbs
8. Obviously
9. No
10. I'll take your word for it
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »

1. More or less
2. Nah, interesting take though.
3. No, it's just garbage.
4. No
5. The desert religions have already been rejected in their most dogmatic forms.
6. Yes, although some people will maintain a belief in some kind of "god". (Possible resurrection of deism?)
7. Meh... yes and no.
8. Yes
9. No. The quality of the music they put out is low.
10. Don't smoke often enough to know or care.

Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »

1. Existence is subjective.
2. No... Again.
3. Lol.
4. Nope.
5. Probably.
6. See above.
7. No.
8. Yes.
9. No.
10. Um, ok.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »

By the way, #4 proves that you aren't a nihilist.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:24:12 PM »

By the way, #4 proves that you aren't a nihilist.

explain
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »

1. I don't have to write a paper for a Philosophy class so I won't bother with this.
2. LOL. Even Gully doesn't overanalyze this much.
3. Disagree.
4. Depends.
5. Maybe, what I think will happen would take very long to put here and isn't the main point.
6. If it happens, yes.
7. You could say so, but you could also say in European countries that the Eurocommunists are identical to the conservatives.
8. Agree
9. Would agree if they broke up after Take This To Your Grave, but as they didn't...
10. Don't know.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »

Oversimplification.

2. Seinfeld is a complex, nihilistic semi-parallel to Camus' The Stranger, in which all characters gradually reject the idea of any meaning in life, culminating in their incarceration by a society that views them as dangerous, due to the underlying code of ethics that most people blindly embrace.

Disagree.

3. the music video made by Eminem, for his song, "The Real Slim Shady", is anarcho-primitivist.

Disagree. lolololololol

4. sex within the context of a meaningful relationship is preferable to sex outside of a relationship.

Agree. (How is this related to nihilism?)

5. Western society will slowly continue to reject (see #6) religion until the Abrahamic religions are reduced to a minority within a few centuries, presuming we do not destroy ourselves by that time.

6. this 'rejection' will be passive; people will stop caring, and will not go around burning churches.

Possibly.

7. the two major American political parties are fundamentally identical.  (please look up the meaning of 'fundamentally' before answering)

Agree.

Disagree.

Disagree.

I haven't heard that before.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »

In and of itself? No.

I can't comment on Camus's work as I'm not familiar with it. I disagree that the characters come to realise that life is without meaning - or at least I don't yet agree. I'm not aware of such a realisation coming about. I do agree though that the show could be considered to ascribe to a nihilistic viewpoint.

No idea.

I have looked up fundamentally. I can't find a definition that makes me agree with the statement.

8. Gore won Florida.

Do I think Gore got more votes in Florida? Yes.
Did Gore win Florida? No - rightly or wrongly, the powers that were determined the winner to be Bush.

Not familiar with them.

No idea.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »

Placing more value on sex with someone because you have some sort of moral/emotional attachment to them is essentially incompatible with nihilism.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:19:58 AM »

Yeah, that's like being a Christian nihilist (I've actually met at least one person who claimed to be that believe it or not. Even more amusingly she was a stripper [though I did not meet her in a club.])
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »

1. I guess so but it's better than not existing.
2. I've never seen Seinfeld actually.
3. Never seen the video.
4. Not really.
5. I could see this happening, but I also don't doubt the Church's ability to remain relevant in a changing world.
6. If it happens, of course yes.
7. Nope.
8. Probably.
9. I guess so.
10. I wouldn't personally know.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 01:23:19 AM »

Yeah, that's like being a Christian nihilist (I've actually met at least one person who claimed to be that believe it or not. Even more amusingly she was a stripper [though I did not meet her in a club.])

Amusing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »

Not personally. Average person worldwide...no.

Maybe, i dont know the show well enough.

In acuality, maybe. Intention? No clue.

Preferable? Yes.

Western Society HAS rejected religion, other than as a ceremony or community cohsion tool, outside the USA.

As has already occured.

Similar, sure Identical, no, because of support structure.

8. Gore won Florida.

Maybe. Certainly it is fair to say that in a truly democratic election, Gore would've won.

...yet sell a lot of records. So no.

Sure, but either smoke or don't. Using substitutes or aides for more than three weeks either means you really actually do want to smoke, or you have an exceptionally weak character.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:30:52 AM »

Placing more value on sex with someone because you have some sort of moral/emotional attachment to them is essentially incompatible with nihilism.

I'm not claiming it as an objective fact; rather just stating it to be subjectively preferable.  sexuality is, by definition, irrational.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 01:32:33 AM »

not comparable at all...  nihilists either reject the existence of God or humanity's moral obligation to serve a God...  nothing to do with sex
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

8. Gore won Florida.

Are you a cutter?
Xobile
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 02:35:59 AM »

Depends

Never read Camus

LOL

Agree

Agree

Agree to an extent

8. Gore won Florida.

Disagree. Popular vote means nothing. However I would have liked Gore to won over Dubya

Don't Care

Interesting.... but no opinion at the moment
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 03:21:49 AM »

2. Seinfeld is a complex, nihilistic semi-parallel to Camus' The Stranger, in which all characters gradually reject the idea of any meaning in life, culminating in their incarceration by a society that views them as dangerous, due to the underlying code of ethics that most people blindly embrace. Never really watched Seinfeld.
3. the music video made by Eminem, for his song, "The Real Slim Shady", is anarcho-primitivist. Never saw it.  Too lazy to do so right now.

8. Gore won Florida.
(normal)
10. acetaminophen helps to minimize the effects of nicotine withdrawal. I wouldn't know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies