Cao would like be Member of Congressional Black Caucus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cao would like be Member of Congressional Black Caucus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cao would like be Member of Congressional Black Caucus  (Read 2626 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »
« edited: December 11, 2008, 05:58:01 PM by Eta Carinae »

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1228977239284270.xml&coll=1

WASHINGTON -- Anh "Joseph" Cao arrived in Washington on Wednesday to the praise of congressional Republicans and began his metamorphosis from unlikely hero to Congress' most junior -- and politically vulnerable -- member.

Cao, who at 5 feet 2 inches might become the smallest man in the House, received a thunderous standing ovation at a meeting of the House Republican Conference, where he was introduced by Republican House Leader John Boehner of Ohio. Since Cao's election Saturday, Boehner has proclaimed him the future of the party.

In their prayer, the Republican members of the House thanked God for Cao, and at a reception Wednesday evening at the Republican National Committee, Rep. Steve Scalise, R-Jefferson, introduced Cao as the man who had "lifted the cloud hanging over the 2nd Congressional District."

"I hope to bring a fresh face and maybe a new perspective to our party," said Cao, whose demeanor tends to deflect, not draw attention.

"He's drinking from a fire hose right now," said former Louisiana Rep. Bob Livingston, now a lobbyist, and among those at the RNC reception.

But even on this heady day, Cao was splashed with a little of the cold water of reality.

Cao expressed interest Monday in serving on the Ways and Means and Appropriations committees, the two most coveted assignments. He was informed Wednesday that Ways and Means is unlikely and Appropriations even more unlikely. He was told that Transportation, Energy and Commerce, and Homeland Security were possibilities. Scalise covets the Energy post, and Cao seemed enamored of Transportation, what with New Orleans' port and no end of worthy infrastructure projects.

Cao arrived in the nation's capital on a damp, nearly balmy December day, accompanied by Ruth Sherlock, a GOP consultant from South Carolina who helped put together his winning campaign, and Rhett Davis, a former executive director of the Louisiana Republican Party, who is from Walker.

The day began with courtesy calls on Rep. Charles Boustany, R-Lafayette, and Scalise in House office buildings that were in a disheveled state of end-of-session moves. Despite his junior status, Cao, because he is arriving after office space has been assigned, is inheriting the offices of the man he beat, Rep. William Jefferson of New Orleans. Jefferson occupies the kind of nice quarters one can gain after nine terms in office.

Cao, the first Vietnamese-American elected to Congress, said he plans to accept an invitation from Rep. Mike Honda, D-Calif., to join the Asian-Pacific Islander Caucus that Honda leads. He said he also would like to join the Congressional Black Caucus, to which he has not been invited.

"I'd like to join any caucus that would have me," Cao said.

The Black Caucus, which is losing Barack Obama and Jefferson in the new Congress, has never had a nonblack member. When Stephen Cohen, a liberal white Democrat, was elected to succeed Harold Ford Jr. representing the majority-black district in Memphis, Tenn., in 2006, he expressed a desire to become the caucus's first white member. But he was discouraged by caucus members and backed off.

Membership in the much smaller Asian Caucus is determined by interest, not identity.

In a bit of personal housekeeping, Cao said he wants to continue to be referred to in official proceedings and news coverage as Anh "Joseph" Cao, quote marks and all. His name is pronounced "Ein Gow," but he is untroubled by mispronunciations.

Most folks in his life call him Joseph, he said. Cao said he took the name Joseph from the Bible; it is his baptismal name. The former Jesuit seminarian said Joseph was a humble, hard-working man, a carpenter.

"I'm a worker; I'm a hard-working worker," Cao said.

As a Vietnamese-American representing a majority black district and a Republican in an overwhelmingly Democratic district, he'll have to be.

"He's going to have to dwell on constituent service to retain the seat, with very good outreach to the African-American community especially and all his constituents," Livingston said.

On his way into a meeting with Boehner, Cao was greeted by a knot of cameras, including one from "NBC Nightly News" with Brian Williams, which is planning a segment on him.

When a reporter asked whether this was Cao's first time in the Capitol, he replied: "No, I used to live here. Well, I didn't live in the Capitol, but I lived in Falls Church (in northern Virginia) and visited a lot.

"I hope I'm allowed to keep my sense of humor," Cao said.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2008, 03:41:59 PM by Verily »

They didn't let Steve Cohen in, did they? Why would Cao even think they would consider him?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »

WHAT. That's cute though.

Oh, and for the record, I totally do not think that Republicans are putting too much faith in Cao at all. Prayer, standing ovation, future of the party... those are normal right? Tongue
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »

What I think is funnier is that on his first day at the Capitol, he tried to get on the Appropriations Committee. 
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »

it kinda makes sense he represents a very black district . doubt they will let him in though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »

What I think is funnier is that on his first day at the Capitol, he tried to get on the Appropriations Committee. 

I tend to agree.  Well, at least he understands where the "real power" in the House is. (that and Ways and Means)

Also, the title of this thread is misleading...  "Requesting" to be a member is not the same as saying that he "would like to join".  I'm sure any non-black representing such a seat "would like to join" the CBC, but that is not the same as "requesting to join", and he will certain not be "getting" an invitation regardless.

I think Maxine Waters would be more likely to rob a Vietnamese grocery store (yes I know - they're run by Koreans) than let one of them into the CBC.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »

I shall fix my misleading title
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »

Cohen - White Democrat - Not allowed

Cao - Oriental Republican - LOL  I'm sure they'll welcome him with open arms!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »

Cohen - White Democrat - Not allowed

Cao - Oriental Republican - LOL  I'm sure they'll welcome him with open arms!
At least he's not white.

5'2''? Yeah, he looked very
In their prayer, the Republican members of the House thanked God for Cao
LMAO.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well, it was the voters of New Orleans really, but the candidate in question matters, of course, so I'm down with Steve here.
W00t! Sorely needed!

They won't let you, though.
Grin

Maybe Louisiana should keep the late election date.
Well, duh. On all of the claims here.
The APIC is currently all-Democratic too, presumably? (Weird aside: Is Bobby Scott a member?)
Oh. I suppose that partly answers that.
small. Didn't think he was that tiny though.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »

I think he should be allowed to be in the black caucus if he wants to. At the end of the day the majority of his constituency is black and joining that caucus could help him work on some of their issues...or not.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2008, 09:45:50 AM by Verily »

The APIC is currently all-Democratic too, presumably? (Weird aside: Is Bobby Scott a member?)

Yes, it is all-Democratic. Presumably, Jindal was a member when he was in the House, however, as presumably were Jay Kim and Pat Saiki. Edit: Actually, Saiki left before the caucus was formed, so she wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Asian_Pacific_American_Caucus

Neil Abercrombie and Madeleine Bordallo are members because they're from Pacific islands (even though they're white). Bobby Scott is indeed a member. The associate members are non-Asian/PI but represent substantial Asian/PI populations.

I'm not sure how Xavier Becerra ended up on the Executive Board.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »

Yes, it is all-Democratic. Presumably, Jindal was a member when he was in the House, however, as presumably were Jay Kim and Pat Saiki. Edit: Actually, Saiki left before the caucus was formed, so she wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Asian_Pacific_American_Caucus

Neil Abercrombie and Madeleine Bordallo are members because they're from Pacific islands (even though they're white). Bobby Scott is indeed a member. The associate members are non-Asian/PI but represent substantial Asian/PI populations.

I'm not sure how Xavier Becerra ended up on the Executive Board.
There was a spot left after all the Asians had been accomodated, I presume.

Raul Grijalva? Is he counting Native Americans as Asian?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »

Gingrich offers to be Cao's go-between for the local African-American community?

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/12/12/gingrich-cao-liaison/
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »

Gingrich offers to be Cao's go-between for the local African-American community?

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/12/12/gingrich-cao-liaison/

Gingrich? LOL.

The CBC is racist.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »

Did Steve Cohen represent a heavily African-American district?  Is there any precedence of a non-black representing a primarily black district trying to get into the CBC?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 01:31:29 PM »

Did Steve Cohen represent a heavily African-American district?
Still does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies