kerry's running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:20:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  kerry's running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: kerry's running mate?  (Read 2740 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2004, 09:11:06 PM »

im new to the forum (but not the site), so i apologize if this topic has already come up--who do you all think john kerry should choose for vp?

everyone is talking about edwards.  i really dont think that is going to happen.  ive also heard a lot of talk about richardson.  richardson would be a good choice.  he is probably the smartest guy the dems have, in my opinion.

im going for the longshot here--gov mark warner of virginia.  
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:13:23 PM »

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=853

Many other threads have covered this. Take a look before you post a new one on a certain subject.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 09:22:49 PM »

im new to the forum (but not the site), so i apologize if this topic has already come up--who do you all think john kerry should choose for vp?

everyone is talking about edwards.  i really dont think that is going to happen.  ive also heard a lot of talk about richardson.  richardson would be a good choice.  he is probably the smartest guy the dems have, in my opinion.

Welcome ot the forum as well.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:44:19 PM »

Welcome. As for Kerry's running mate... Dick Gephart or John Edwards. The best Democrat VP choice ever I my mind was Lloyd Bentsen. If he were up against Bush, 1989 would have brought us President Bentsen.
NHPolitico

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 07:16:37 AM »

Search works very well on this site, by the way.

Oh, the answer is Dianne Feinstein.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 07:18:24 AM »

im going to have to disagree there...  lbj was probably the best vp pick ever.  without lbj, jfk probably loses the race.

as for dick gephardt, i dont see the appeal in him.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 07:33:43 AM »

I've repeated my self on this topic too many times to do so here but Kerry's best VP is Edwards (check my last few posts to see my argument )...

In the unlikely event that Edwards is the nominee then Bill Richardson is his best choice for a running mate or perhaps Sn. Bob Graham (though he’s probably pegged for Homeland security or Defence in any Dem administration) then again perhaps Breaux would be a good choice for Edwards or there Gov. Holden of Missouri or Sn.Evan Bayh of Indiana…  
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 07:34:54 AM »

I've repeated my self on this topic too many times to do so here but Kerry's best VP is Edwards (check my last few posts to see my argument )...

In the unlikely event that Edwards is the nominee then Bill Richardson is his best choice for a running mate or perhaps Sn. Bob Graham (though he’s probably pegged for Homeland security or Defence in any Dem administration) then again perhaps Breaux would be a good choice for Edwards or there Gov. Holden of Missouri or Sn.Evan Bayh of Indiana…  

Ben, do you know what you did in the Fantasy Elections?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 08:02:24 AM »

What did I do?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 08:04:29 AM »

Election fraud Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 08:06:41 AM »

Yeah, you tried to vote without being registered, then logged off while Demrepda and I were screaming "fraud!fraud!" It was quite funny. Of course we were pretty sure it was unintentional.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 08:11:48 AM »

Oh sorry about that...sheepish grin... how do you register again?  
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 08:13:51 AM »

Oh sorry about that...sheepish grin... how do you register again?  
I think registrations are not currently open.
I'm not even registered myself, even though I'm currently helping dunn to form a third party that you might want to join.
Read up on us on the Fantasy Election Board!
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 10:36:09 AM »

Search works very well on this site, by the way.

Oh, the answer is Dianne Feinstein.

The answer most certainly is, notice how she endorsed him early in the campaign, she nails CA to a cross for the Dems and could help in several other Western states esp. NV and AZ. Kerry should hopefully take NH and I think we are home and dry at that stage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 02:17:38 PM »

Holden would be useless - Missourians don't like him and are likely to replace him this year.  So I don't think he'd help Kerry in Missouri.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 04:07:51 PM »

Hey Neighbour… sorry that was a statement where I wasn’t really thinking with his problems in MO he’d be a weak choice for VP then again I’m not sure he’ll be booted out by the Dems he’ll survive any primary challenge and I expect the race to be very competitive against Blunt (who I have some time for)…so yeah Holden would be a pretty bad choice for VP…with the senate race here in MO I recon that Berry could be an interesting and competitive choice I some how doubt he’ll get nominated though it’ll probably go to Farmer and it’ll be a competitive race but Bond will probably still win by a solid if not overwhelming margin… but then again I'll a little removed from events over in MO at the moment as Ive been in the UK some time...  
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 04:58:21 PM »

I suppose Feinstein is a good pick, purely on the personal appeal level.

She adds excitement to Kerry, which he sorely needs.

She would probably energize more moderate Democrats and independents, which he also sorely needs.

She also contrasts nicely with old Dick Cheney.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 05:02:59 PM »

Mort, Edwards does all the things you claim Feinstein does and yet he has proven broad geographical appeal is more moderate than Feinstein, is not a woman and therefore less risky, helps Kerry with many protectionist blue collar workers, would be an excellent contrast as opposed to Cheney and unlike Feinstein is a prime candidate for President in 2012 or if something should happen to Kerry during his term… personally I doubt Feinstein can bring in moderates and independents and why take the risk when you could have Edwards who is a better stump speaker and debater and has a proven ability in gaining independent and republicans votes across the country in competive regions      
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 07:34:21 PM »

If Kerry is behind in the polls when it comes time to pick a Veep, he would be wise to pick Feinstein to shore up the Dem base. It would lock up Calif, excite urban and suburban women voters (who are becoming a larger portion of the voting public), and add an element of sensibility (women are more sensible than men aren't they?)

If Kerry is clearly leading in Gore states, picking a Southerner makes more sense. But Edwards? I think not. While he would be fine, I don't see that he'd ensure any Southern states. Rumor had it that if he ran for senate reelection, he would have a tough race.

I haven't seen proof of the claims that Edwards is much of a moderate. He voted for war, like Kerry, but voted against funding year 2. He's not that pro-business since he doesn't really support free trade and certainly doesn't support tort reform which would be good for business. He, more than any candidate save Kucinich and Sharpton, uses class warfare in his rheoric, the very thing that got DLC folks upset at Gore. He's pro civil unions. Is it that he's simply from the South and Southerners tend to be more moderate? Pretty shallow generalization. He's a pretty face and may add personality, but since Kerry beat him in two neighboring, Southern states, I have doubts (and Kerry has expressed this doubt) that Edwards can help carry any Southern states. He does not add experience (like Cheney did for Bush) since Kerry has much more govt experience than he does. By August, Edwards won't really be a new face that will make exciting headlines. What is it that will substantively add to the ticket that voters will care enough about to change parties or increase turnout? I see nothing in a practical sense.

Clark would be a better Southerner to put on the ticket because he could reinforce the notion that the Dems are able to lead on national security. Also, Clark is more likely to help deliver Arkansas' 6 electoral votes.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies