The First Female President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:52:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The First Female President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The First Female President  (Read 5052 times)
pragmatic liberal

« on: December 13, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »

Honestly, I think a woman will be on at least the Democratic ticket in 2016, either as the presidential nominee or vice presidential nominee.

There are going to be 16-18 women in the U.S. Senate next year (depending on replacements for Hillary Clinton and Obama). There were 13 at the start of Bush's term and 6 at the start of Clinton's term. By 2016, there will probably be 4-5 more women in the U.S. Senate. There will probably also be at least a handful more women governors.

And if the woman in question is the running mate, the pool expands a bit more to possibly include members of Congress or cabinet members.

I think the pressure, particularly for the Democrats, will be VERY strong in '16 to place a woman on the ticket, given Hillary's near-miss this year and Sarah Palin's VP candidacy. There's a sense that it will be a woman's "turn."

Clinton's a possibility, although I wouldn't bet on it; she probably serves out this term as Obama's Secretary of State, then retires or takes another cabinet post like Defense if he wins reelection. Then she probably joins a think-tank or non-profit but leaves elective office.

I think Lisa Madigan -- current IL AG -- is a possibility if she becomes IL Governor in two years and if she has a successful term. If Kirsten Gilibrand replaces Hillary Clinton, she also has a very good shot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies