SPC (and other libertarians) Political Views Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:38:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  SPC (and other libertarians) Political Views Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: SPC (and other libertarians) Political Views Discussion Thread  (Read 30524 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »

Okay, I will respond to most of your post at a future date - particularly your delusional notion that we must have one extreme or the other - but I'd much rather focus on my original question for now.

Why does one have the right to self-ownership and why does that extend outwards to property? Does property only mean that which I have shaped through my own labour or can I own a plot of land that I have done nothing to?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »

Okay, I will respond to most of your post at a future date - particularly your delusional notion that we must have one extreme or the other - but I'd much rather focus on my original question for now.

Why does one have the right to self-ownership and why does that extend outwards to property? Does property only mean that which I have shaped through my own labour or can I own a plot of land that I have done nothing to?

The right to self-ownership is self-evident. One has the property right to any resource that he mixes with his labor. You can only own the plot of land if you purchase it from someone who has already mixed his labor with the land.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

The right to self-ownership is self-evident. One has the property right to any resource that he mixes with his labor. You can only own the plot of land if you purchase it from someone who has already mixed his labor with the land.

Why is it self-evident? Do animals share that right?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

1. What evidence is there that petroleum source rocks are produced by some other force than the sedimentation of microscopic ocean life?
2. Whatever this evidence, how does it counteract the fact that every single petroleum bed on this planet is found in a location that the geologic record shows to have once been a warm shallow sea (that have lots of algae and such)?
3. Do you acknowledge that any geologist, given their background and training, would have more available information on this topic than you? Does it not follow that the average geologist's opinion would be more likely to be accurate than yours? If abiogenetic oil was in any way a credible theory, wouldn't more than a very small handul of geologists support it?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »

1. What evidence is there that petroleum source rocks are produced by some other force than the sedimentation of microscopic ocean life?
2. Whatever this evidence, how does it counteract the fact that every single petroleum bed on this planet is found in a location that the geologic record shows to have once been a warm shallow sea (that have lots of algae and such)?
3. Do you acknowledge that any geologist, given their background and training, would have more available information on this topic than you? Does it not follow that the average geologist's opinion would be more likely to be accurate than yours? If abiogenetic oil was in any way a credible theory, wouldn't more than a very small handul of geologists support it?

For the record, this is a political debate thread, not a geological debate thread. With regard to question 3, there have been several times throughout history when the majority of scientists were wrong. Skepticism is healthy for science, and it is entirely within my right to have doubts about the biotic oil theory.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »

Ah; since you didn't answer me in that thread so I posted it here, as this seems to be the place you argue stuff at.

Anyway, while I agree both that a skeptical attitude is healthy and that you do have a right to believe in whatever you want to, I'd like to actually try to understand if you have any idea about what you're talking about here. Because, well, I'm sure you also have a right to believe the Earth is flat, for example, but that doesn't mean it isn't wrong.
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »

I agree with almost every single one of your views SPC.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »

How can you possibly hold my views and support Bush at the same time?
persepolis

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »

Pragmatism. You can't expect a good market system to ever come about, and the Bushes have kept the left angry and out of power, so I'm all for them. Plus, I like pissing of the liberals, and they hate Bush-lovers.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »

the Bushes have kept the left angry and out of power, so I'm all for them

Did you pay attention to the 2008 election results? Also, isn't it more important that that power doesn't exist than that the "left" controls it?
persepolis

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »

I don't know. I'm not a philosopher. I just see that the left is trying to destroy the country, and I'm not standing for it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »

It shows.
persepolis

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »

You don't seem to be so ignorant by your PM scores, but I must be wrong.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

I don't mean to be rude but here's some advice.

Posts like these;

I don't know. I'm not a philosopher. I just see that the left is trying to destroy the country, and I'm not standing for it.

Don't cut it on this forum. You've got to give it meat.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »

This will serve as the official thead for those who wish to debate my views.

What exactly are your political views?
persepolis

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »

I don't mean to be rude but here's some advice.

Posts like these;

Don't cut it on this forum. You've got to give it meat.

That is OK. I am not offended by those who give advice. I am offended by those who insult. In other threads, I have pointed out that Barack Obama is adding more to our deficit than ever during the Bush administration, even though he promised to lower the deficit. He is appointing cabinet members who don't pay their taxes, yet his VP says paying taxes is patriotic. His so-called "stimulus" plan is what is really getting on my nerves though.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »

This will serve as the official thead for those who wish to debate my views.

What exactly are your political views?

I think I've summaried it somewhere else, but I'm pro-peace, anti-gun control, pro-sound money, pro-free speech, pro-drug legalization, pro-restitution, anti-intellectual property, anti-environmentalist, pro-secession, capitalist, radical libertarian. Chances are I have left much out of that summary.

I don't doubt that the left is trying to destroy the country. However, I think that you are addressing the symptom rather than the disease (statism).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »

Let's all put on tin foil hats and hang out in my basement where THE STATE won't find us.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2009, 01:01:29 AM »

Let's all put on tin foil hats and hang out in my basement where THE STATE won't find us.

Do you wish to make a legitimate argument, or are you just going to throw out ad hominem attacks?
persepolis

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2009, 06:16:25 PM »

Do you wish to make a legitimate argument, or are you just going to throw out ad hominem attacks?

Quite honestly, I believe most attacks are just that. No real evidence.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »

Since nobody has commented on this for awhile, I'll start a discussion regarding secession.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2009, 12:48:03 AM »

Secession is a fundamental right of any political entity. No individual or group should be forcibly bound to a despotic authoritative body.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »

Secession is a fundamental right of any political entity. No individual or group should be forcibly bound to a despotic authoritative body.

Smiley
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »

Libertarians on the board, what make you of Rand's Objectivist philosophy?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »

Libertarians on the board, what make you of Rand's Objectivist philosophy?

Good except for her foreign policy views.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies