Future of Puerto Rico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:15:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Future of Puerto Rico
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: What would you prefer
Independent Country

51st State

Commonwealth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Future of Puerto Rico  (Read 13068 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

I'd like to see them become a State.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »

How is that racist? They have been leaching off the govt. and they hardly pay any taxes.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2009, 08:42:04 PM »

At some point we have to make their voters decide if they want to be a state or a country.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »

It wouldn't look THAT bad:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/US_flag_51_stars.svg/380px-US_flag_51_stars.svg.png
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »

Gee, I wonder why people here picked 51st state, could it be that they want basically more free EV's to the Dems?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:57 AM »

Gee, I wonder why people here picked 51st state, could it be that they want basically more free EV's to the Dems?

77% on this Forum are Democrats ?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:44 AM »

Gee, I wonder why Republicans oppose D.C. statehood? Is it because they don't want two Democratic (and probably black) Senators?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:05 AM »

How is that racist? They have been leaching off the govt. and they hardly pay any taxes.
It's not so much what he said, but the sentiment in general.  Is there any reason to oppose statehood, ie giving full natural-born US citizens the right of representation and voice in presidential elections, other than bigotry toward Puetro Ricans or the Spanish language?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2009, 12:57:08 AM »

Anyone who cares about what America means would support statehood, regardless of what party the new state would vote for.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »

It's not so much what he said, but the sentiment in general.  Is there any reason to oppose statehood, ie giving full natural-born US citizens the right of representation and voice in presidential elections, other than bigotry toward Puetro Ricans or the Spanish language?

They do get a lot of benefits that they otherwise wouldn't have as US citizens and the govt should force them to make a choice. I know enough Puerto Ricans and I've had this discussion before.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »

Gee, I wonder why Republicans oppose D.C. statehood? Is it because they don't want two Democratic (and probably black) Senators?

The capital is not part of a state for a reason. The state government would have much more influence than the others.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »

They shouldn't even have 3 EV's to begin with.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »

They do get a lot of benefits that they otherwise wouldn't have as US citizens and the govt should force them to make a choice. I know enough Puerto Ricans and I've had this discussion before.
I can agree with that, but surely they would vote for statehood over being cast loose?

Your partisanship is incredible...or do you actually believe in taxation without representation?  It is a grave injustice what we do to the people in our nation's capital (!), not allowing them a say in Congress, and now you want to take their presidential vote away too, just because it doesn't vote the way you want it to?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »

Thank you for proving my point.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »

I can agree with that, but surely they would vote for statehood over being cast loose?

I'm not so sure about that to be honest.  I think such an election would be much closer than many believe it would be.  I agree though.  Territories need to either become states or independent.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »

Thank you for proving my point.

My point being, they should be part of either Maryland or Virginia(most likely Maryland because land was taken from MD to form DC).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »

Reminds me of Taiwan.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »

Give each of the territories a voting member of congress, and force Puerto Ricans to either become independent or a state.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies