is kennedy quailified to be us senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:49:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  is kennedy quailified to be us senator?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: is kennedy quailified to be us senator?  (Read 6433 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 12:30:48 AM »

She's a successful, prominent attorney who interned for one of the senior-most members of the Senate.  She's more qualified than former Majority Leader Bill Frist was to be a Senator.

Was he appointed?  If he was, he shouldn't have been.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »

She's a successful, prominent attorney

There's no evidence I've ever seen that she's ever practiced law and it as just today that she renewed her license.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »

I don't believe any of those people who mentioned had just entered public life a few months prior.

I mean, someone HAS to be appointed.   But I think it should be someone who has shown some interest in politics, who has shown some knowledge of the issues that New York faces, and someone who has shown some capability to run a successful reelection campaign (Caroline will have to run two in the next four years).

I'm not against appointment.  But does Caroline even know how many automobile factories are in New York?  Does she know how much agriculture is in the state?  Is she to the left or to the right of Schumer?  no one knows
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 12:51:20 AM »

She's lived in the state longer than Hillary has and she's grown up in one of the most political families in the country, of course she knows politics.  And she was on some Presidential debate committee and again, she interned for one of the most senior members of the Senate.

So is it unfair to ask her to make her positions on the issues relevant to New York open to the governor?  I'm ok with celebrities winning elections, but if you're going to give a lifetime appointment to a celebrity, should that celebrity not have, like, positions on like, issues?

Also, Hillary ran a successful campaign and visited every single county in the state.  It was clear that Hillary was sensitive to (or could at least appear sensitive to) the issues concerning the state.  I'm honestly curious if Caroline has ever been Upstate before in her entire life.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 02:25:37 AM »

Lunar, who cares

not worth our time
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:10 AM »

nothing we complain about or talk about is worth our time

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 02:38:09 AM »

you just seem to have an intense emotional attachment to this issue and I just can't get riled up about it.  I don't find it to be even mildly interesting.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 02:43:12 AM »

you just seem to have an intense emotional attachment to this issue and I just can't get riled up about it.  I don't find it to be even mildly interesting.

I'm not actually riled up.  It's the internet.

If I make something with {B}{/B} tags, I'm not actually yelling at my screen. 

....or am I?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 02:51:37 AM »

only you can answer that, Lunar.

hopefully, as the days begin to get longer, as opposed to shorter, starting in three days here in the Northern Hemisphere, my outlook on Caroline's qualifications will be altered.  but I am not holding my breath.  the downside of nihilism is that you are left with nothing.  and I suppose, by name, it's what I am supposed to want, but my very consciousness is a barrier to my own nirvana.

the problem is that the nihilist mind does not operate on a straight line; having everything is actually, quite ok, but it remains step away from shedding the nihilist label itself and moving on into meaning.  at one point, that was what I had, but that step was evasive.

now I have nothing, except for, as previously mentioned, my own existence.  and, this is the worst I have ever felt, yet it is a mere step away from perfection; that step would be, to shed my own existence.  but that is, of course, barring extreme measures, impossible.

I must locate my own personal God and murder it in order to be able to constructively comment on this thread.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 03:44:39 AM »

I know it distracts from the topic but I ought to clear the air...

For the record, I'll state that when I was little, I used to want to be Irish. For a brief period of time, I even lied to certain people and said I was Irish. I remember in kindergarten, we were making little leperchauns in class and I was asked if I was Irish. Everyone in the class was at least part Irish. I think I just assumed that I was as well. I went home that night and found out that I wasn't. It was disappointing for a little kid. I wanted to be like everyone else especially since I live in an area dominated by Irish Catholics.

As the years went on, I began to realize that not only was I one of the few people that wasn't Irish, I was one of the few people fully Italian. Instead of disliking it, I became proud of it. For a few years in grade school, I became fed up with everything being Irish and began to dislike it. I became fanatically Italian. You think I'm bad now? You really have no idea.  Tongue Then, I grew up. I realized that the Irish and Italians actually have a lot in common. It's a shame because I have this one friend who is partly Irish and partly Italian. He's the way I was in grade school. He considers himself fully Italian (though he's only 25%) and hates anything associated with the Irish. It's really quite sad. I'm the one in our group of friends that has to tell our one friend off from time to time and I'm actually the one who is fully Italian.

Ok, no more ethnicity talk.  Smiley

If only you grew up in Tacony or South Philly... If only..  Funny I feel weird NOT being Italian when I'm in parts of South Philly.  Hey, your food is sure as hell better than ours. 

Actually I can't stand being mostly Irish.  YAWN.  Wish I had something else besides the little German and Welsh I have which is statistically insignificant and have little bearing on family celebrations, etc. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:38 AM »

She's lived in the state longer than Hillary has and she's grown up in one of the most political families in the country, of course she knows politics.  And she was on some Presidential debate committee and again, she interned for one of the most senior members of the Senate.

So is it unfair to ask her to make her positions on the issues relevant to New York open to the governor?  I'm ok with celebrities winning elections, but if you're going to give a lifetime appointment to a celebrity, should that celebrity not have, like, positions on like, issues?

Also, Hillary ran a successful campaign and visited every single county in the state.  It was clear that Hillary was sensitive to (or could at least appear sensitive to) the issues concerning the state.  I'm honestly curious if Caroline has ever been Upstate before in her entire life.

I think he's trolling you, and rather well. Smiley
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

No, but I still don't see the difference.  None of our Senators were elected until 1913, were none of them qualified?  Zell Miller was appointed, Lincoln Chafee was appointed, Daniel Akaka was appointed, Walter Mondale was appointed, Murkowski, Menendez, Barrasso, and Wicker were all appointed.  All of them were also later elected.  Were they not qualified until they were elected?

Zell Miller: As a former Governor of Georgia, he was unquestionably qualified.
Linc Chafee: Nominated based on his name, though as mayor of Warwick, he was probably one of the most qualified Republicans available.
Daniel Akaka: Served in the U.S. House from 1976 to 1990.  Qualified.
Walter Mondale: Served as Minnesota Attorney General for two terms before appointed.  Qualified.
Murkowski: Nepotism appointee.  Qualified though, as she was serving as the AK House Majority Leader when appointed.
Menendez: Exceptionally qualified with a career in elected legislative politics going back to 1987.  Served 13 years in the U.S. House with a track towards House leadership.
Barasso: Perhaps not the most qualified candidate, but he still spent 5 years in the WY State Senate, where he served as chair of the Transportation and Highways Committee.  Ran for U.S. Senate (unsuccessfully) in 1996.

Common thread amongst all those listed: Past elected office and lengthy public careers.

There is no reason to nominate Caroline Kennedy when there are literally hundreds of people in New York more qualified than she, all with actual public records.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »

it just smells bad that a possibly unqualified kennedy is going to *appointed*

the democrats best best would to be to appoint a non controversial seat warmer, like the assistant dean of cornell law school, and then have kennedy run in her own right in 2010
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »

If only you grew up in Tacony or South Philly... If only..  Funny I feel weird NOT being Italian when I'm in parts of South Philly.  Hey, your food is sure as hell better than ours.   

Well, my Mom is from South Philly and my Dad is from Mayfair (only blocks away from Tacony) so...  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »

Sure why not?  It is not as if the Senate is packed with folks worthy of the office in any event. There are a considerable number of dullards and hacks already there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »

Sure why not?  It is not as if the Senate is packed with folks worthy of the office in any event. There are a considerable number of dullards and hacks already there.

I think there's a reasonable counterargument that says a campaign is at least representative of some form of competence.

Also, there's another reasonable counterargument that says her positions on the issues should be known as well.  Is she to the left or the right of Schumer?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

I think there's a reasonable counterargument that says a campaign is at least representative of some form of competence.

Also, there's another reasonable counterargument that says her positions on the issues should be known as well.  Is she to the left or the right of Schumer?

Well competence at campaigning I guess, or being in the right place at the right time.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »

Of course she is. New York has done much worse. And probably will again. But whatever. So long as it's not "shuck and jive."
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »

Well, my Mom is from South Philly and my Dad is from Mayfair (only blocks away from Tacony) so...  Smiley

Apparently your parents wanted to be near us Micks! Smiley
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 08:03:28 PM »

Oh, guess what I heard on TV today!  She's on a "listening tour" of upstate and has been expressing her views and concerns for New York and the country.  So that's that, she's qualified then. Wink

Ha, well that would be something of a step in the right direction, since I have no clue what her political views really are (beyond the fact that she really likes Obama omg). Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »

Apparently your parents wanted to be near us Micks! Smiley

Hey, we have a good deal of Italians up here.  Wink
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »

Unknown, which is the most worrisome thing about it.  She brings huge built-in advantages into the seat, but at this point one cannot say how well-equipped she is to take on the duties.  Ideally, it would be better if New Yorkers could see a campaign from her first.  But Paterson understandably may want to get a permanent replacement in there now. 
rbt48

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2008, 01:44:46 AM »

I think it is a riot that she is "campaigning" for an appointment.  This is unheard of in my recollection anywhere else.  It certainly didn't happen in Delaware, did it?  How about just letting Patterson appoint someone without all the hoopla! 

This whole effort could backfire on her.  Already I heard reports of checks to see how often she had even voted in the past.  I guess it turned out to be not very frequently.

Is she qualified?  Of course.  She is over 30 and a resident of New York.  I suppose the question in general is being raised by Democrats in NY who wanted the appointment for themselves.  I mean, how well qualified was the pick in Delaware, or Barrasso in Wyoming?
rbt48

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »

When no one responds to your own little post, I guess you have to assume that you effectively captured the subject at hand and there is nothing else to add.

;-)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »

If Caroline Kennedy was not a Kennedy, and had the exact same background and experience that Croline Kennedy has, and let it be known that she wanted to be appointed U.S. Senator from New York, there is no way that she would be considered.  She would be laughed off the stage. 

A much better appointee and a qualified appointee would be New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo.  He has a well known New York name, yes, but, along with the name, he brings the qualifications as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies