is kennedy quailified to be us senator? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:37:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  is kennedy quailified to be us senator? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: is kennedy quailified to be us senator?  (Read 6488 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: December 17, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »

She is if she runs a campaign and wins
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:00:48 PM »

A good point someone brought up to me, she's more qualified than Al Franken

Franken wasn't appointed.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:01:37 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2008, 12:06:22 AM by L362-81 »

Does anyone even know if she is to the left or the right of Schumer?

Can anyone name five policy positions she believes?  Is there anything about her political philosophy that makes her interesting?

Nobodies should have to win campaigns to be in elected office to demonstrate their capability
.  All her "campaign" shows is that she's capable of wielding influence.  As one reporter asked her today, has she ever ever been to Syracuse before today? 

I mean, during this "campaign" if she makes her policy positions abundantly clear and makes her executive capabilities clear that she can win reelection, I will drop my objections.  But the governor should be aware of what she believes in besides that she's an Obama lackey.

I'm ok with Ted Kaufman because he's a seatwarmer to allow a fair competitive election in two years.  I'd be ok with Caroline doing the same thing but that's it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:19:30 AM »

What I want to know is when we started caring if someone was "qualified" to be a Senator.

When blatant nobodies started being "qualified" to be appointed.

I'm fine with Ahnuld, Hillary, and Franken because they proved themselves to not be 100% trainwrecks with their campaigns.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »

She's a successful, prominent attorney

There's no evidence I've ever seen that she's ever practiced law and it as just today that she renewed her license.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »

I don't believe any of those people who mentioned had just entered public life a few months prior.

I mean, someone HAS to be appointed.   But I think it should be someone who has shown some interest in politics, who has shown some knowledge of the issues that New York faces, and someone who has shown some capability to run a successful reelection campaign (Caroline will have to run two in the next four years).

I'm not against appointment.  But does Caroline even know how many automobile factories are in New York?  Does she know how much agriculture is in the state?  Is she to the left or to the right of Schumer?  no one knows
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:51:20 AM »

She's lived in the state longer than Hillary has and she's grown up in one of the most political families in the country, of course she knows politics.  And she was on some Presidential debate committee and again, she interned for one of the most senior members of the Senate.

So is it unfair to ask her to make her positions on the issues relevant to New York open to the governor?  I'm ok with celebrities winning elections, but if you're going to give a lifetime appointment to a celebrity, should that celebrity not have, like, positions on like, issues?

Also, Hillary ran a successful campaign and visited every single county in the state.  It was clear that Hillary was sensitive to (or could at least appear sensitive to) the issues concerning the state.  I'm honestly curious if Caroline has ever been Upstate before in her entire life.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:27:10 AM »

nothing we complain about or talk about is worth our time

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:43:12 AM »

you just seem to have an intense emotional attachment to this issue and I just can't get riled up about it.  I don't find it to be even mildly interesting.

I'm not actually riled up.  It's the internet.

If I make something with {B}{/B} tags, I'm not actually yelling at my screen. 

....or am I?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »

Sure why not?  It is not as if the Senate is packed with folks worthy of the office in any event. There are a considerable number of dullards and hacks already there.

I think there's a reasonable counterargument that says a campaign is at least representative of some form of competence.

Also, there's another reasonable counterargument that says her positions on the issues should be known as well.  Is she to the left or the right of Schumer?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies