GBLT forum census now with a poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:03:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  GBLT forum census now with a poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ...
Gay

Bi

Straight

Asexual

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: GBLT forum census now with a poll  (Read 9136 times)
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »

Straight.  I doubt anyone is purely straight or gay, but I've considered myself 'straight' so that my attractions pretty much fit perfectly into that role.  If I have any latent bisexuality, it's well-repressed.

Really? What do you base that on? I find it pretty easy to imagine that sexual preferences would be one way or the another. I have a much harder time understanding bisexuality than homosexuality, for instance.

Anyway, straight for me.

I know that in Asian cultures, they believe sexuality is kinda like a scale.  Like everyone is bisexual, but it's just a matter of preference.

Rin-chan
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »

Straight.  I doubt anyone is purely straight or gay, but I've considered myself 'straight' so that my attractions pretty much fit perfectly into that role.  If I have any latent bisexuality, it's well-repressed.

Really? What do you base that on? I find it pretty easy to imagine that sexual preferences would be one way or the another. I have a much harder time understanding bisexuality than homosexuality, for instance.  

I don't have much familiarity with the field, but it seems like arousal and emotional attraction is probably not concrete by sexual orientation.  Isn't that basically what the Kinsey studies of sexuality found?  

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm unclear on whether incidental homosexual behavior is just needs fulfillment, and to what extent not pursuing something like that is filling social roles vs. genuine orientation.

On a similar line, I think there's been some research that shows that sexual experiences and attractions rewire the brain.  So maybe we really do convince ourselves that we're hetero, during the period that some younger people are unsure of their orientation, in a way.  Honestly I always just "assumed" I was what I was, but I gather that's not the experience for lots of people.

1. Kinsey, I believe, has been largely discredited and his studies are viewed as very untrustworthy.

2. People don't start out as sexual beings. I had no interest at all in girls before puberty. I didn't want to be attracted to them either. But it happened. I agree that there may be some social influences and so on, but I doubt it is that random. I mean, why would it be? Fundamentally, sexual attraction serves a clear biological purpose. It's pretty obvious why men and women are attracted to each other. That it can be rewired in some way to be the opposite is also not so strange. Nor, I guess, is it strange that it can be linked with something else (like leather or whips or cream or something) but most people do not have a sexual attraction for just randomly anything. I don't get anything from animals, for instance, and I doubt that's due to socialization.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2008, 08:36:06 PM by Einzige »

Bisexual-ish. I've never really done anything with another guy, but I definitely have impulses. Basically, I'll screw anything with legs, though I have a pretty strong preference for attractive women. I also have a pretty strong attraction to male-to-female transexuals, which I have acted on.

So in other words, you're attracted to manly-looking women?

In a certain way, yes, actually. Here's one of my ex-girlfriends:

Not 'manly', but butchy -- dark, short hair, dark skin, 'tom-girlish', etc. But she had a very lithe, thin body and large breasts, and was quite femme in other ways.

Bear in mind, of course, that I'm only nineteen, so much of it may have to do with lingering maternal instincts on my part as anything else.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »

Haha, asexual as an option. That's great. I know a few people that I really believe are asexual.

Verin, IIRC
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

Bisexual-ish. I've never really done anything with another guy, but I definitely have impulses. Basically, I'll screw anything with legs, though I have a pretty strong preference for attractive women. I also have a pretty strong attraction to male-to-female transexuals, which I have acted on.

Not 'manly', but butchy -- dark, short hair, dark skin, 'tom-girlish', etc. But she had a very lithe, thin body and large breasts, and was quite femme in other ways.

Bear in mind, of course, that I'm only nineteen, so much of it may have to do with lingering maternal instincts on my part as anything else.

Butchy women can be okay as long as her name isn't Butch.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »

1. Kinsey, I believe, has been largely discredited and his studies are viewed as very untrustworthy.

He had his sampling errors in some of his studies, in that he did not choose truly random samples, but not this one IIRC.

2. People don't start out as sexual beings. I had no interest at all in girls before puberty. I didn't want to be attracted to them either. But it happened. I agree that there may be some social influences and so on, but I doubt it is that random. I mean, why would it be? Fundamentally, sexual attraction serves a clear biological purpose. It's pretty obvious why men and women are attracted to each other. That it can be rewired in some way to be the opposite is also not so strange. Nor, I guess, is it strange that it can be linked with something else (like leather or whips or cream or something) but most people do not have a sexual attraction for just randomly anything. I don't get anything from animals, for instance, and I doubt that's due to socialization.

I definitely didn't say it was random, or anything like that...

I didn't say we'd all be pansexual, just maybe more incidentally homosexual were it not for social pressures to fit into certain roles.  I mean, not to get all Opebo, sexual stimulation/attention is sexual stimulation/attention.  Sure the whole "it's a guy" thing would be a major "ick" point for me too, but beyond that what?  And where does the "ick" part come from?

I'm not saying we all start 50/50 (or "random") and then society forces us into our roles, lord no
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2008, 09:21:28 PM by paul718 »

She's hot.  It seems like you have broad tastes if you can be attracted to her, while being attracted to  male-to-female transsexuals.  Or are transsexuals just a turn-on that you have?

Edit:  That's not a picture of you dressed up as girl, is it?  Are you goofin on me?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 10:34:44 PM »

Edit:  That's not a picture of you dressed up as girl, is it?  Are you goofin on me?

Jesus Christ.

Those are the best pictures of her I have, but as you can see, she has breasts. If you've looked at my pictures in the other thread, I clearly do not have breasts.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »

Haha, asexual as an option. That's great. I know a few people that I really believe are asexual.

Verin, IIRC

You're confusing me with the other Grin Cheesy Grin *hughughug* Grin Cheesy Grin juvenile, CheeseWhiz.

I don't have much familiarity with the field, but it seems like arousal and emotional attraction is probably not concrete by sexual orientation.  Isn't that basically what the Kinsey studies of sexuality found?  

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm unclear on whether incidental homosexual behavior is just needs fulfillment, and to what extent not pursuing something like that is filling social roles vs. genuine orientation.

On a similar line, I think there's been some research that shows that sexual experiences and attractions rewire the brain.  So maybe we really do convince ourselves that we're hetero, during the period that some younger people are unsure of their orientation, in a way.  Honestly I always just "assumed" I was what I was, but I gather that's not the experience for lots of people.

What Gustaf says is essentially true.  Actually, there's even a bit more nuance... there is a limited amount of data that indicates that female sexual orientation is a bit more fluid than male.  Or, at least, there seem to be relatively more bisexuals among females and gays among males than in the other gender.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 10:55:53 PM »

Bisexual but frankly I find even that label constricting.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »

Lucky guy.  I still don't get the whole transsexual thing (not that you care).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »

How about just sexual.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

So you prefer to label yourself as someone who hates labels?

Let's all be nonconformists together! Tongue
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »

Labelling everyone creates social division.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »

I think someone missed the point.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »

The point is that western obsession with labelling is harmful and as I said, creates massive division.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »

So you prefer to label yourself as someone who hates labels?

Let's all be nonconformists together! Tongue

It makes sense, and I empathize with him. I'm attracted to men and women, but women moreso than men, and transsexuals moreso than men, too (I also get the feeling that in such a situation I'd be exclusively a top). I also don't think I could ever really be romantically attached to a man. In a sense, that's sort of a Grecian sexuality - "Women for love, men for play".
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 11:05:50 PM »

Asexual?  There aren't any fat old ladies on this board, are there?

fat old ladies need someone to butter their bread too
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »

Gay.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »

Nearly 37% so far are gay or bisexual? Far more than I expected.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 11:23:20 PM »

Previous polls have yielded a similar number on this forum.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 11:29:46 PM »

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 11:36:28 PM »

Straight.

Previous polls have yielded a similar number on this forum.

I wonder whether that suggests that the internet is disproportionally gay, or those interested in politics, or both.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »

There are too many straights around here.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »

There are too many straights around here.

Whats say you an me paint an anti-heteronormativity banner sometime? Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies