Atlas House PRESS BRIEFING (important)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlas House PRESS BRIEFING (important)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlas House PRESS BRIEFING (important)  (Read 6188 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2004, 10:11:32 PM »

*good looking guy walks behind the podium.*

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I am Kevin DeCourcy (of_thisnation), the newly appointed Press Secretary for President Nym90.

The President has had concerns about recent activity within the forum, and the constant discussion and promotion of not only an Atlas Senate, but of an Atlas Supreme Court, and a set of regions in which Governors will take the role.  President Nym believes there should be a Presidential cabinet, and a senate composed of five regions, two senators each. Nothing more. No Supreme Court, and no Governors.

President Nym is fully aware of the rapid growth of the Atlas Forums, and is determined to serve as an able President for EVERY Atlas Citizen, not just those who voted for him. However, in doing this, it is required that we keep the Atlas Government to a MINIMUM, and not overload with expendable positions.  The President is also fully aware of a need for a Constitutional Convention, in that we need to discuss these issues as a forum, united.

In regards to term limits, President Nym supports the limit of ONE consecutive term, but believes there should be no lifetime term limit.  

We need to remember the point of the Atlas Fantasy Forum.  The original idea here was for ELECTIONS, and nothing more.  It is these fantasy elections in which we all enjoy participating in, and the fantasy elections in which our entertainment is derived from.  In addition, the President and myself both believe that in increasing the ENTERTAINMENT value of a fantasy election, voters from both parties need to be more objective when voting. Don't blindly vote along party lines, take a look at all of the candidates, see who runs the best campaign, see who actually makes a convincing argument. If the election is decided based on voter turnout and 1-2 swing voters, the outcome may be predictable.

Overall, President Nym90 believes that the purpose of an Atlas Government should be to assist and benefit the usaelectionatlas.org site, and to address the concerns that plague our "real-life" United States. A United Atlas would make decisions and speeches about these concerns, and the outcome of them would be whatever actually happens in the US. This is how a fantasy government should work. Objective, non-polarized elections. Simple matters for the Atlas Government to attend to.

If the press has any questions or comments on these proposals outlined by President Nym90, I would be happy to answer some of them.  Thank you.
PD
pd

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 10:49:20 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2004, 10:53:21 PM by PD »

*good looking guy walks behind the podium.*

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I am Kevin DeCourcy (of_thisnation), the newly appointed Press Secretary for President Nym90.

The President has had concerns about recent activity within the forum, and the constant discussion and promotion of not only an Atlas Senate, but of an Atlas Supreme Court, and a set of regions in which Governors will take the role.  President Nym believes there should be a Presidential cabinet, and a senate composed of five regions, two senators each. Nothing more. No Supreme Court, and no Governors.

President Nym is fully aware of the rapid growth of the Atlas Forums, and is determined to serve as an able President for EVERY Atlas Citizen, not just those who voted for him. However, in doing this, it is required that we keep the Atlas Government to a MINIMUM, and not overload with expendable positions.  The President is also fully aware of a need for a Constitutional Convention, in that we need to discuss these issues as a forum, united.

In regards to term limits, President Nym supports the limit of ONE consecutive term, but believes there should be no lifetime term limit.  

We need to remember the point of the Atlas Fantasy Forum.  The original idea here was for ELECTIONS, and nothing more.  It is these fantasy elections in which we all enjoy participating in, and the fantasy elections in which our entertainment is derived from.  In addition, the President and myself both believe that in increasing the ENTERTAINMENT value of a fantasy election, voters from both parties need to be more objective when voting. Don't blindly vote along party lines, take a look at all of the candidates, see who runs the best campaign, see who actually makes a convincing argument. If the election is decided based on voter turnout and 1-2 swing voters, the outcome may be predictable.

Overall, President Nym90 believes that the purpose of an Atlas Government should be to assist and benefit the usaelectionatlas.org site, and to address the concerns that plague our "real-life" United States. A United Atlas would make decisions and speeches about these concerns, and the outcome of them would be whatever actually happens in the US. This is how a fantasy government should work. Objective, non-polarized elections. Simple matters for the Atlas Government to attend to.

If the press has any questions or comments on these proposals outlined by President Nym90, I would be happy to answer some of them.  Thank you.

Thanks a lot. I just lost my job.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 10:53:14 PM »

This isn't a dictatorship, PD, that's why we'll have the Constitutional Convention. President Nym and others firmly believe that an "Atlas Government" must not extend to the point where positions become excess baggage. No one is saying that we can't declare ourselves Governor/Mayor/Rep of a particular state. We just need to keep this in moderation. Remember, the whole point of this was ELECTIONS, not government. And there are ways to improve both.
PD
pd

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:56:06 PM »

This isn't a dictatorship, PD, that's why we'll have the Constitutional Convention. President Nym and others firmly believe that an "Atlas Government" must not extend to the point where positions become excess baggage. No one is saying that we can't declare ourselves Governor/Mayor/Rep of a particular state. We just need to keep this in moderation. Remember, the whole point of this was ELECTIONS, not government. And there are ways to improve both.
I know. I agree with the limited government. I just don't think it's right that I've been here a really long time and have held my position and then get kicked out because the democratic president doesn't like it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 10:59:42 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2004, 11:00:42 PM by of_thisnation »

Let me clarify: All we want is for there to not be Governors of specific regions. The senate can handle that. You can hold position of Governor of California, just as Supersoulty was Governor of Pennsylvania. Naturally, the title is simply for name recognition, and for someone to use if they run for office, etc. Pretty much the same as before.
PD
pd

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 11:03:40 PM »

Let me clarify: All we want is for there to not be Governors of specific regions. The senate can handle that. You can hold position of Governor of California, just as Supersoulty was Governor of Pennsylvania. Naturally, the title is simply for name recognition, and for someone to use if they run for office, etc. Pretty much the same as before.
Oh. Fine, I guess. I've been Governor of California ever since I joined this site, 3 or 4 months ago. Maybe it was 5, but I don't think so. I'll look. But anyway, I've been Gov. of CA ever since and I am now letting it be known to everyone that they can't have that position. It's mine, MINE YOU HEAR! Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 11:34:49 PM »

This just in, former Pennsylvania Gov. Chris Supersoulty applaudes the recent announcement from the White House and asks all Americans to get behind the president and his proposals.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 12:21:51 AM »

How does the President justify the existence of your job in respect of his obvious desire to streamline the number of positions available?

Further, how does he justify the necessity of "executive office" staff (Chief of staff and Press secretary) at all given the fact that these are party political positions and should remain within the Democratic party structure?

Further still, the President is against the concept of a Supreme Court, how does he intend for election disputes to be reconciled?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 12:56:13 AM »

Further still, the President is against the concept of a Supreme Court, how does he intend for election disputes to be reconciled?

I second that.

We can right a fool-proof amendment into the constitution.  I have some suggestions, but it is getting late and I'm gonna hit the hay.
dunn

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 04:40:10 AM »

This isn't a dictatorship, PD, that's why we'll have the Constitutional Convention.

I bless the president and his staff for accapting the constitutional convention idea and call for the convention to decide on senat/house/governers/court etc. The prez should appoint only cabinet members (5 tops I day) and if there is a court maybe he will have the judges appointed too

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 06:28:56 AM »

Because Press Secretary is one of the few positions that can legitimately be performed, my friend. I also have direct contact with Nym and easier access to Atlas during the day, so any important briefings/announcements needed to be scheduled can be done so without problem.

Secondly, we intend for there to be zero problems with future elections. Guidelines may be followed and steps can be taken so to prevent any sort of election fraud. If there is a major problem that requires action, we will put the power in the hands of Atlas' Citizens. We don't want a 3-member court deciding an election. We want the PEOPLE to decide elections.
dunn

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 06:39:08 AM »

Because Press Secretary is one of the few positions that can legitimately be performed, my friend. I also have direct contact with Nym and easier access to Atlas during the day, so any important briefings/announcements needed to be scheduled can be done so without problem.

Secondly, we intend for there to be zero problems with future elections. Guidelines may be followed and steps can be taken so to prevent any sort of election fraud. If there is a major problem that requires action, we will put the power in the hands of Atlas' Citizens. We don't want a 3-member court deciding an election. We want the PEOPLE to decide elections.

Yup . THE PEOPLE. they should decide if there is house/senat/sc etc. Bring it to the convention , maybe the people want  seperation of power and a court. thr convention will decide, not the president or his press sec

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 08:22:44 AM »

What does the President say to accusations that he is effectively endorsing mob justice and/or tyranny by placing judicial powers in his own hands or the hands of the people.

We all want the people to decide elections, I just want somebody to make sure that everybody plays fair.
dunn

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 08:25:24 AM »

What does the President say to accusations that he is effectively endorsing mob justice and/or tyranny by placing judicial powers in his own hands or the hands of the people.

We all want the people to decide elections, I just want somebody to make sure that everybody plays fair.

here you are right with us Earl of Oxford

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 02:07:51 PM »

The Administration is confident that election fraud and other problems will not even be an issue.

Even so, to prevent what you call "mob justice," a neutral "Atlas Election Committee" can be established to oversee future elections and such. If a vote on a certain issue needs to occur, the senate will take that vote.

And we are still a small forum.  There is, as of now, absolutely no need for a system of regional Governors or a Supreme Court, and President Nym will stand by that.
dunn

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »

The Administration is confident that election fraud and other problems will not even be an issue.

Even so, to prevent what you call "mob justice," a neutral "Atlas Election Committee" can be established to oversee future elections and such. If a vote on a certain issue needs to occur, the senate will take that vote.

And we are still a small forum.  There is, as of now, absolutely no need for a system of regional Governors or a Supreme Court, and President Nym will stand by that.
I and the constitutional party agree about no need for governors BUT strongly think we need a (small) supreme court. part of the fun is the name so if you down the s court to a committe )b/c we are small forum) you might as well call the president our mayor. we need though to decide it in the convention
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 02:29:58 PM »

of_thisnation, In Hughentos thread you are listed as wanting to be Governor of New England. How can this be so if you support the Presidents agenda?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 03:03:22 PM »

I changed my mind on that when I realized that this was going a little overboard. Gotta be sensible about these things.

I still fully support a 5-region, 10-member senate.
dunn

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 05:46:15 PM »

imho, people will decide which way an election goes by having a Supreme Court, it's simply insuring the laws of what the PEOPLE want.

yes mr fresh. you are my man. join our party
dunn

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 05:53:53 PM »

imho, people will decide which way an election goes by having a Supreme Court, it's simply insuring the laws of what the PEOPLE want.

yes mr fresh. you are my man. join our party

lol, why thank ya for the offer.  Wink  But my place is with the Republicans, it's my party and my way of thinking.  Plus, I don't agree with too much of the stuff you guys do.  Smiley

I respect that. you are a repulican all right, and a good one indeed
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004, 06:22:34 PM »

This still encourages a system of mob justice, Senators are up for election every so often (at present 2/4 months looks to be the likely time frame), it will ultimately be the will of the majority that prevails as opposed to the will of what is right (although the two may on occassion be the same.

You have failed to answer an earlier question, which I will now repose: Does the President not find it slightly odd to possess two executive office staff (on top of a VP and what looks like 4/5 cabinet secretaries) whilst at the same time advocating the limiting of the number of elected positions and the seeming abolition of any judicial check and balance on his power.
dunn

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 06:25:45 PM »

This still encourages a system of mob justice, Senators are up for election every so often (at present 2/4 months looks to be the likely time frame), it will ultimately be the will of the majority that prevails as opposed to the will of what is right (although the two may on occassion be the same.

You have failed to answer an earlier question, which I will now repose: Does the President not find it slightly odd to possess two executive office staff (on top of a VP and what looks like 4/5 cabinet secretaries) whilst at the same time advocating the limiting of the number of elected positions and the seeming abolition of any judicial check and balance on his power.

A strong constitution will prevent the big parties bust give away jobs. that why we need a strong independent delegation at the convention

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 06:27:09 PM »

Off topic but is the Constitutionalist Party planning on running a candidate in the next election?
dunn

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2004, 06:28:16 PM »

Off topic but is the Constitutionalist Party planning on running a candidate in the next election?

too early to tell
it's possible
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004, 07:17:38 PM »

Oh I don't know, perhaps it is because most of the positions that individuals are simply appointed do not hold any real power? That is why I have said people can declare themselves Governors and Reps and whatnot, but the important positions where decisions are are made (President, VP, Senate) have been elected.

If the Senate believes that the President is going too far with power, they will act swiftly to deal with him.

And considering there are no laws right now, there is no need for a Supreme Court. After a Constitution has been established, the President will decide whether he believes a 3-member Supreme Court is needed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies