When did Obama seriously begin to think about running for President? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  When did Obama seriously begin to think about running for President? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Early than H1 2004

H2 2004

H1 2005

H2 2005

H1 2006

H2 2006

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: When did Obama seriously begin to think about running for President?  (Read 5209 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: December 18, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »

I am currently leaning toward H2 2004 or H1 2005.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »

Second half and first half.

Btw, what is [qm]?

The reason for this thread is that I watched the free PBS Frontline special on "The Choice 2008" on the PBS website, and they stated that immediately after Obama won election in 2004, Daschle's chief of staff and other senior veterans of the Senate helped him craft a "two year plan". What freshman Senator would start out with a two year plan instead of a six year plan? It's plausible that big changes in seniority were expected after 2006 which obviated the need or ability to plan for past that date, but the show further said that the two year plan was divided into the first year, where he would "keep a low profile" and the second year, where he would "increase his visibility." The only way this makes sense is if he was seriously planning for a Presidential announcement by early 2007.

Another thing, Obama's book came out in September 2006... it's clearly a "I'm gonna run for President" book. The book methodically spells out his philosophy, biography, and views in a balanced and comprehensive way. Between writing, editing and publishing, the book must have been conceived by at least late 2005.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:38:47 PM »

This has nothing to do with my support of Clinton in the primary. Although I learned today that there are tons of quotes from US News & World Report of his friends and acquaintances saying he had been thinking about running for President for as long as 15 years.

Also, he previously had been insinuating that Clinton wanted to run for President since she was a child, although I don't have the exact quote. So it's not like he was above this absurdity.

But I really never knew about the whole 2 year plan until I saw the PBS special. Honest to God. But it is quite striking. The timing of his book release, his increased visibility, the whole 2 year plan. I think he was very serious about it from day 1.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies