statist, social engineer Paterson proposes 18% tax on soda
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:50:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  statist, social engineer Paterson proposes 18% tax on soda
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: statist, social engineer Paterson proposes 18% tax on soda  (Read 6182 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

How is passing a tax taking away your freedom.

I don't think there's much argument that it isn't, technically
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »

Paterson appears to be curiously keen on failing to get elected.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »

Paterson appears to be curiously keen on failing to get elected.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »

If we didn't have such a panic and taboo on raising income taxes state governments wouldn't be forced to do this sort of thing for revenue.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

There's zero need to raise them. All you need to do is cut out loopholes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »

There's zero need to raise them. All you need to do is cut out loopholes.

That's a little too simple of a solution. It's not that easy. It wouldn't hurt to raise income taxes.

Cutting loopholes for business taxes is another matter however.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2008, 06:08:30 PM »

It's better than trying to raise income taxes to european levels but I agree with you on cutting business tax loopholes.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »

He should legalize prostitution and tax that.
This is a good idea, as well as marijuana, crack, heroin, etc.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »

It's better than trying to raise income taxes to european levels but I agree with you on cutting business tax loopholes.

We need more tax brackets to ensure a truly progressive system before we start raising taxes though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »

State owned and operated slot machines in every gas station and grocery store.  Give the buisnesses a cut so they'll be more accepting.  It's the exact same as a lottery, but slightly more fun than a scratch off.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »

State owned and operated slot machines in every gas station and grocery store.  Give the buisnesses a cut so they'll be more accepting.  It's the exact same as a lottery, but slightly more fun than a scratch off.

Sounds like South Dakota.
Cashcow

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 01:09:23 AM »

A minimum age law to purchase soda is literally the worst idea I have ever heard.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »

A minimum age law to purchase soda is literally the worst idea I have ever heard.
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

Why is it such a horrible idea. We have a minimum age for driving, for smoking, for the consumption of alcohol. We have different ages for rifle ownership, pistol ownership and machine gun ownership. There is an age minimum for when a child can get first communion, an age minimum for when they receive confirmation granted those two aren't government enforced. We have age limits for driving a car, we have age limits to buy a lottery ticket. If my children wanted to go to the IP and drop some money at the slots or the craps table they couldn't just do it, age limits are in place. We have age limits for R rated and X rated films. We have age limits on insurance, everyone's insurance goes down on that magical birthday. Unless you're on disability or are in some other special circumstance, you will not draw social security before your 65. You can't go into the restaraunt and ask for the senior citizen special when your 25.

I don't see what is so wrong from keeping kids from engaging in a habit that is more addictive than alcohol and far more destructive to the health. Wouldn't mind seeing age limits on potato chips either
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »

We have too many minimum ages. I'd toss the drinking and smoking minimum ages.
Cashcow

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2008, 11:16:00 PM by Cashcow »

Why is it such a horrible idea. We have a minimum age for driving, for smoking, for the consumption of alcohol. We have different ages for rifle ownership, pistol ownership and machine gun ownership.

These all have ENORMOUS negative externalities on society. Soda does not, at least directly. A minimum age on soda, fast food, etc. would be a huge burden on the economy and borders on communist-level authoritarianism.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is price discrimination and has nothing to do with the government.

Why is it someone else's job to control what your kids eat? I don't understand. Parents have to be responsible about far more than their children's soda consumption. If they aren't, it's not the government's job to make them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:41 AM »

Just diabetes, obesity, heart problems [if the soda contains caffeine], etc.

and there is no equivalent to second-hand smoke, you can stand next to someone there is no effect on you at all.

Come on, smoking is getting less and less common in bars, restaurants, and workplaces as the bans that you support gain more political support.  That is hardly something to continue complaining about.

And I'd hate not to be able to easily get it from a machine at work

You are a complete idiot if you are actually paying good money for soft drinks when you could just drink tap water.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2008, 05:58:40 AM »

Nobody has said soda is good for you.  Neinrein's point was that soda is more deadly than drinking.  I'm going to need a cite from somebody to prove that.

You are a complete idiot if you are actually paying good money for soft drinks when you could just drink tap water.
[/quote]Couldn't you say that about anything that isn't tap water?  That's a BRTD kind of comment.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »

I honestly don't understand why a tax that would prevent us from drinking something that is bad for our health is such a bad idea. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »

Small amounts of taxes on a large amount of different economic activities >>>> large amount on a small amount of economic activities.  The latter creates loopholes and market inefficiencies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »

I honestly don't understand why a tax that would prevent us from drinking something that is bad for our health is such a bad idea. 

You have the choice to drink something that's bad for your health or not. The government isn't needed as a nanny state to prevent it. If you're that concerned about your health and its effects than don't drink it.

Small amounts of taxes on a large amount of different economic activities >>>> large amount on a small amount of economic activities.  The latter creates loopholes and market inefficiencies.

This isn't a small tax. 18%? Is any sin tax that high anywhere?
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »

There is no reason for sin taxes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »

The vast majority of people who drink soda don't get those at all. Only if you really overdrink it. I've never encountered any of those either in fact.

and there is no equivalent to second-hand smoke, you can stand next to someone there is no effect on you at all.

Come on, smoking is getting less and less common in bars, restaurants, and workplaces as the bans that you support gain more political support.  That is hardly something to continue complaining about.

I suppose if you live in a place where all that has been banned it isn't, but that's still not nationwide. It also doesn't change the effects of cigarettes fundamentally.

And I'd hate not to be able to easily get it from a machine at work

Taste issue. I drink both at work, but I'd prefer to not be stuck with ONLY water. It's about choice. Besides the water in my apartment is pretty gross so I'm thankful for the machine outside not too far away.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »

Why is it such a horrible idea. We have a minimum age for driving, for smoking, for the consumption of alcohol. We have different ages for rifle ownership, pistol ownership and machine gun ownership. There is an age minimum for when a child can get first communion, an age minimum for when they receive confirmation granted those two aren't government enforced. We have age limits for driving a car, we have age limits to buy a lottery ticket. If my children wanted to go to the IP and drop some money at the slots or the craps table they couldn't just do it, age limits are in place. We have age limits for R rated and X rated films. We have age limits on insurance, everyone's insurance goes down on that magical birthday. Unless you're on disability or are in some other special circumstance, you will not draw social security before your 65. You can't go into the restaraunt and ask for the senior citizen special when your 25.

I don't see what is so wrong from keeping kids from engaging in a habit that is more addictive than alcohol and far more destructive to the health. Wouldn't mind seeing age limits on potato chips either

Because it's a ridiculous attempt at social control over something as ultimately trivial as a soft drink. And it's silly to say that a soda habit is more addictive than alcohol. Give me a break. It's food, no matter how disgusting and unhealthy it is. This is not an area that government should be involved in.

Most age limit legislation should disappear, with the exception of alcohol, cigarette, gambling, consent, and driving laws.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

This isn't a small tax. 18%? Is any sin tax that high anywhere?

try buying a pack of cigarettes in New York City.  probably 70-80% of what you're paying is to various governments.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies