Atlas House PRESS BRIEFING (important) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:59:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlas House PRESS BRIEFING (important) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas House PRESS BRIEFING (important)  (Read 6226 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 23, 2004, 10:11:32 PM »

*good looking guy walks behind the podium.*

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I am Kevin DeCourcy (of_thisnation), the newly appointed Press Secretary for President Nym90.

The President has had concerns about recent activity within the forum, and the constant discussion and promotion of not only an Atlas Senate, but of an Atlas Supreme Court, and a set of regions in which Governors will take the role.  President Nym believes there should be a Presidential cabinet, and a senate composed of five regions, two senators each. Nothing more. No Supreme Court, and no Governors.

President Nym is fully aware of the rapid growth of the Atlas Forums, and is determined to serve as an able President for EVERY Atlas Citizen, not just those who voted for him. However, in doing this, it is required that we keep the Atlas Government to a MINIMUM, and not overload with expendable positions.  The President is also fully aware of a need for a Constitutional Convention, in that we need to discuss these issues as a forum, united.

In regards to term limits, President Nym supports the limit of ONE consecutive term, but believes there should be no lifetime term limit.  

We need to remember the point of the Atlas Fantasy Forum.  The original idea here was for ELECTIONS, and nothing more.  It is these fantasy elections in which we all enjoy participating in, and the fantasy elections in which our entertainment is derived from.  In addition, the President and myself both believe that in increasing the ENTERTAINMENT value of a fantasy election, voters from both parties need to be more objective when voting. Don't blindly vote along party lines, take a look at all of the candidates, see who runs the best campaign, see who actually makes a convincing argument. If the election is decided based on voter turnout and 1-2 swing voters, the outcome may be predictable.

Overall, President Nym90 believes that the purpose of an Atlas Government should be to assist and benefit the usaelectionatlas.org site, and to address the concerns that plague our "real-life" United States. A United Atlas would make decisions and speeches about these concerns, and the outcome of them would be whatever actually happens in the US. This is how a fantasy government should work. Objective, non-polarized elections. Simple matters for the Atlas Government to attend to.

If the press has any questions or comments on these proposals outlined by President Nym90, I would be happy to answer some of them.  Thank you.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 10:53:14 PM »

This isn't a dictatorship, PD, that's why we'll have the Constitutional Convention. President Nym and others firmly believe that an "Atlas Government" must not extend to the point where positions become excess baggage. No one is saying that we can't declare ourselves Governor/Mayor/Rep of a particular state. We just need to keep this in moderation. Remember, the whole point of this was ELECTIONS, not government. And there are ways to improve both.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 10:59:42 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2004, 11:00:42 PM by of_thisnation »

Let me clarify: All we want is for there to not be Governors of specific regions. The senate can handle that. You can hold position of Governor of California, just as Supersoulty was Governor of Pennsylvania. Naturally, the title is simply for name recognition, and for someone to use if they run for office, etc. Pretty much the same as before.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 06:28:56 AM »

Because Press Secretary is one of the few positions that can legitimately be performed, my friend. I also have direct contact with Nym and easier access to Atlas during the day, so any important briefings/announcements needed to be scheduled can be done so without problem.

Secondly, we intend for there to be zero problems with future elections. Guidelines may be followed and steps can be taken so to prevent any sort of election fraud. If there is a major problem that requires action, we will put the power in the hands of Atlas' Citizens. We don't want a 3-member court deciding an election. We want the PEOPLE to decide elections.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 02:07:51 PM »

The Administration is confident that election fraud and other problems will not even be an issue.

Even so, to prevent what you call "mob justice," a neutral "Atlas Election Committee" can be established to oversee future elections and such. If a vote on a certain issue needs to occur, the senate will take that vote.

And we are still a small forum.  There is, as of now, absolutely no need for a system of regional Governors or a Supreme Court, and President Nym will stand by that.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 03:03:22 PM »

I changed my mind on that when I realized that this was going a little overboard. Gotta be sensible about these things.

I still fully support a 5-region, 10-member senate.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 07:17:38 PM »

Oh I don't know, perhaps it is because most of the positions that individuals are simply appointed do not hold any real power? That is why I have said people can declare themselves Governors and Reps and whatnot, but the important positions where decisions are are made (President, VP, Senate) have been elected.

If the Senate believes that the President is going too far with power, they will act swiftly to deal with him.

And considering there are no laws right now, there is no need for a Supreme Court. After a Constitution has been established, the President will decide whether he believes a 3-member Supreme Court is needed.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 07:32:11 PM »

Eh, I worded that wrong.  The point is, there is NO NEED for a Supreme Court. Stepping outside of the fantasy realm for a second, can you truly give me a scenario where we, as intelligent and respectable [i hope] individuals, would need an appointed court to work out a difficulty in an election? I don't think so. I have more faith in the Atlas Forum then that.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 07:48:23 PM »

After a conversation with Mr. Fresh, we have worked out a plan for a Supreme Court that both Mr. Fresh, myself, and President Nym support.

It is written,

that the President will appoint a three-member Supreme Court, in which ALL ELECTION DISPUTES will be handled.

It is also written,

that the three-member Supreme Court will have no authority outside election disputes, as this is a forum for fantasy elections, and not fantasy government.

There. I sincerely hope both parties will agree to this.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 08:49:49 PM »

Well Mr. Bell, since the entire constituency of Atlas seemed to believe a Court was a good idea, we made a compromise which still ADVISES that a SC be left with no real power except in election disputes.  This still generally satisfies President Nym, and we believe it will help promote forum unity.

You may spin this recent decision however you want, but in the end, it's still progress.

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 09:21:34 PM »

Instead of trying to convince the rest of you, I'll close the press conference for now and simply have President Nym make an address not only on this, but on the entire plan, so to speak, for an Atlas Government. I've gotten across the general point we intend to make.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 04:19:05 PM »

Damn, I got HAMMERED in that Press Conference.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies