If Franken does win, keep this in mind...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:46:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Franken does win, keep this in mind...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Franken does win, keep this in mind...  (Read 1943 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »

Independence    DEAN BARKLEY    218   7.92   
Republican    NORM COLEMAN    323   11.74   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    AL FRANKEN    2172   78.92   
Libertarian    CHARLES ALDRICH    25   0.91   
Constitution    JAMES NIEMACKL    9   0.33   

That's Franken +1849, well over any possible margin of victory. BRTD-land will be singlehandedly responsible for Al Franken being in the Senate. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »

Coleman came second in your home precinct? Damn Republican lala land you're living in there. Grin
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2008, 03:54:55 PM by Platonic Sleepover Massacre »

Minneapolis Republicans are rare, but the few that exist are rather partisan, there's probably a floor of 15% for a generic Republican in Minneapolis. Coleman in third precincts do exist, but mostly in heavily DFL rural areas (it happened in the infamous Myrtle. Actually Coleman tied for third there with the Libertarian with one vote apiece.) And of course there are a few heavily GOP rural precincts where Franken came in third.

The real thing that disappoints me in my precinct is that Coleman actually ran ahead of McCain.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »

Almost any precinct can claim to be soley responsible for Franken's or Coleman's win.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »

There is a possibility that the people of Climax, MN will count just as much as your precinct:

Independence    DEAN BARKLEY    13   12.75   
Republican    NORM COLEMAN    27   26.47   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    AL FRANKEN    59   57.84   
Libertarian    CHARLES ALDRICH    2   1.96   
Constitution    JAMES NIEMACKL    1   0.98   
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »

Almost any precinct can claim to be soley responsible for Franken's or Coleman's win.

Precisely no precinct can make the claim.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »

Do we know if Barkley won any precincts?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 10:08:01 PM »

Oh, well thank you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »

Do we know if Barkley won any precincts?

Very unlikely since he had no real pockets of strong support. If he did it was probably very small ones (like single digit amount of voters)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 01:14:08 AM »

Minneapolis Republicans are rare, but the few that exist are rather partisan, there's probably a floor of 15% for a generic Republican in Minneapolis. Coleman in third precincts do exist, but mostly in heavily DFL rural areas (it happened in the infamous Myrtle. Actually Coleman tied for third there with the Libertarian with one vote apiece.) And of course there are a few heavily GOP rural precincts where Franken came in third.

The real thing that disappoints me in my precinct is that Coleman actually ran ahead of McCain.

I assume you mean in absolute percentage and not just in margin.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »

Coleman ran ahead of McCain by either measure in my precinct. He did almost everywhere in Minneapolis though, in some precincts he got over twice what McCain did (Obviously that isn't a lot.)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »

Coleman ran ahead of McCain by either measure in my precinct. He did almost everywhere in Minneapolis though, in some precincts he got over twice what McCain did (Obviously that isn't a lot.)

Oh, wow. I would've guessed there wouldn't be many places in the state where McCain would do better than Coleman by margin.

Perhaps shouldn't be too surprising that a former Mayor of St. Paul would do relatively well in the Twin Cities, though.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »

Not surprised.  Couldn't the DFL put up a better candidate?  I mean I think the guy ain't too stable upstairs and this should have been an easier pickup for the DFL.  I would have voted Franken if I lived in MN because I find Coleman a prick, but still.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »

Not surprised.  Couldn't the DFL put up a better candidate?  I mean I think the guy ain't too stable upstairs and this should have been an easier pickup for the DFL.  I would have voted Franken if I lived in MN because I find Coleman a prick, but still.

Sure they could but no one else had any real interesting in running. Hatch was perfectly satisfied remaining the de facto Attorney General, (he's a senior counsel in the office of the current AG, one of his protege and basically a puppet of his, his salary is almost the same and he spoke longer than she did at her inauguration.), and anyone else either has their eye on the Governor's mansion in 2010 or House seniority.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »

Sure they could but no one else had any real interesting in running. Hatch was perfectly satisfied remaining the de facto Attorney General, (he's a senior counsel in the office of the current AG, one of his protege and basically a puppet of his, his salary is almost the same and he spoke longer than she did at her inauguration.), and anyone else either has their eye on the Governor's mansion in 2010 or House seniority.

I guess it's great in a way that people who aren't the most orthodox get a chance at the Senate in MN.  The PA Dems actually try to play it too safe and could run a conservative against Specter in 2010.  I have a feeling this time it would blow up in their faces because the growing part of the state is the Southeast, not the Bob Casey/Jack Murtha-esque areas   I put up with Casey because of well... Santorum, but I won't give Jack Wagner the same against Arlen Specter.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »

Couldn't the DFL put up a better candidate?

The track record for the DFL strongly indicates "no." It defies common sense, but they have NEVER missed an opportunity to nominate a bad candidate.

That said, I like Franken because I really like the potential of having a comedian and writer with strong views in the Senate, but I recognize he wasn't a strong candidate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies