Would Pulp Fiction be as funny if there was no swearing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:54:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would Pulp Fiction be as funny if there was no swearing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would Pulp Fiction be as funny if there was no swearing?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Would Pulp Fiction be as funny if there was no swearing?  (Read 2133 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »

Inspired by this:

In fact, there really is no reason for that word to be used at all, in movies or in real life.  The fact that you find this an issue shows a lot about your character.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »

Haven't we already learned MODU is the biggest Phillistine on this forum already?

I voted no btw, but swearing is a funny thing. If everyone did it, and no-one considered it bad the swearing in Pulp Fiction wouldn't be funny, because it such part of everyday speech that no-one would notice it. Its only funny because this strange attitude to swearing that's out there - that it is both acceptable and somehow also bad - well its more complicated than that, but that's a sketch.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »

whyy do you start threads about every time someone disagrees with you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »

BTW I think Lunar missed the point when he said Aladdin was a good movie with no swearing, you can make one but that movie will always have been possible to be better WITH swearing. For example WALL-E was a great recent movie with no swearing, but it would've been a lot funnier if there was some swearing in it.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »

you are an immature child
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

BTW I think Lunar missed the point when he said Aladdin was a good movie with no swearing, you can make one but that movie will always have been possible to be better WITH swearing. For example WALL-E was a great recent movie with no swearing, but it would've been a lot funnier if there was some swearing in it.

If there was swearing, it would've been only funny in a WTF sort of way. There's very little dialogue as it is.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »

The Ideas behind WallE would have been negated had there been swearing. It would have been a totally different film, one which happened to be utterly rubbish. Thankfully BRTD you don't work for dreamworks, seriously I expect that OMG SWEARING SO FUNNY!!!11 from a 13yr old, it can be funny I admit, but only in certain contexts (and WallE isn't one of them).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »

The Ideas behind WallE would have been negated had there been swearing. It would have been a totally different film, one which happened to be utterly rubbish. Thankfully BRTD you don't work for dreamworks, seriously I expect that OMG SWEARING SO FUNNY!!!11 from a 13yr old, it can be funny I admit, but only in certain contexts (and WallE isn't one of them).

Uh, most movies that use swearing to be funny are not targeted toward 13 year olds. For example take this line from the recent Role Models, which was targeted at my age group 20somethings, not 13 year olds:

High school kid: Hey nice cow outfit! Where did you get it, the gay zoo?
Paul Rudd: Hey now that's not a cow, it's a minotaur! It's an ancient mythical beast. And he got it from your mom's closet.
Stifler: She let me keep it after I fucked her.

Now imagine if it had been this instead:

High school kid: Hey nice cow outfit! Where did you get it, the gay zoo?
Paul Rudd: Hey now that's not a cow, it's a minotaur! It's an ancient mythical beast. And he got it from your mom's closet.
Stifler: She let me keep it after I engaged in sexual intercourse with her.

Which is more funny?

Now imagine if Tarantino or someone similar wrote the little dialogue there is for WALL-E with lots of swearing in the typical style. It would be very funny.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:05:34 PM »

Perhaps I should be clear, the "it" there is swearing. However it is only funny however due to its effect (see first post).

Of course what you are referring to is Manchildism: something I associate with bored suburban teenagers with no inner lifes and so-so-cool pseudo-bohemian inner city dwellers who like to pretend they're not middle class. Funny that.

Would what be the point of WallE if it had swearing. It would not be a kids film then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »

Perhaps I should be clear, the "it" there is swearing. However it is only funny however due to its effect (see first post).

Of course what you are referring to is Manchildism: something I associate with bored suburban teenagers with no inner lifes and so-so-cool pseudo-bohemian inner city dwellers who like to pretend they're not middle class. Funny that.

Would what be the point of WallE if it had swearing. It would not be a kids film then.

1-Why not? Kids swear.
2-Is it really a kids movie now anyway? It's now like all the critics giving rave reviews were kids.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »

There is a genre of film that is now known as the Kids film, it is usually the type of film parents go along to take children to, it has to be rated U or at most PG. The film that critics loved it meant it had crossover appeal as it was a good film. Why does it need swearing? It would ruin the entire context of the film, it is meant to be sweet and funny (in a sort of cute knowing way) not edgy and "Ironic". Which character in the film after all would swear? Wait a minute, why am I even answering such questions?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2008, 03:21:12 PM by Attorney General Xahar »

The only character who could possibly swear would be the Captain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »

That Charlize Theron/Nick Stahl movie with the girl from Bridge to Terabithia from a couple months back was basically a kids film with swearing. And yes it was rated R. Yet it was still basically marketed toward 13 year old girls for some reason. Don't ask me why. But there's an example. I did like it though just because of the emo cinematography.

Also The Girl Next Door and Knocked Up are sweet and funny movies with a lot of swearing. Hell possibly even Little Miss Sunshine.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »

That Charlize Theron/Nick Stahl movie with the girl from Bridge to Terabithia from a couple months back was basically a kids film with swearing. And yes it was rated R. Yet it was still basically marketed toward 13 year old girls for some reason. Don't ask me why. But there's an example. I did like it though just because of the emo cinematography.

Also The Girl Next Door and Knocked Up are sweet and funny movies with a lot of swearing. Hell possibly even Little Miss Sunshine.

Now THAT was an excellent movie.

Sweet and funny films can have swearing in them, just it would defeat the purpose in WallE. Why have swearing in WallE? What's the bloody point BRTD? Is there reason other than your pseudo-rebellious posturing?
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »

Well, in order to answer that poll, I'd have to agree that Pulp Fiction was funny.  I saw it and hated it.  So, NOTA. Tongue

Rin-chan
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »

Now THAT was an excellent movie.

Really? I heard it was Christian propaganda (and not in a good way like Pulp Fiction is.) But here's the movie I'm talking about. Middle school girls are the clear target audience for this movie full of swearing.

Sweet and funny films can have swearing in them, just it would defeat the purpose in WallE. Why have swearing in WallE? What's the bloody point BRTD? Is there reason other than your pseudo-rebellious posturing?

My point is the swearing could've made it even better if it had been as funny as it is in the movies I'm talking about. Like my biggest gripe with Juno was how it was cut down to only have one "fuck". It would've been a lot funnier if they had kept it as in the original script (and not inserted all those "fricks" in its place.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »

God you're immature.

A Bridge to Teribithia is hardly Christian propoganda. Actually I can't remember a christian reference in the whole thing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 03:32:47 PM »

And I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment, for by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by they words thou shalt be condemned.  Matthew 12:36-37
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »

BRTD, why do you care?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

I'm making a point that there often IS a reason to use "that word".
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

In a kids movie?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »

Sure if it's funny. As I pointed out there's at least one kids movie above that did so (though it was trying to make a point, not be funny.) Marketed at 13 year old girls yet rated R and full of swearing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »

BTW I thought that one of the best things about Mean Creek is that the kids in it act and talk like kids actually do, not like kids in "kids movies". Kids movies with the kids never swearing and drinking are more than slightly unrealistic.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 03:53:11 PM »

BTW I thought that one of the best things about Mean Creek is that the kids in it act and talk like kids actually do, not like kids in "kids movies". Kids movies with the kids never swearing and drinking are more than slightly unrealistic.
I agree with this. It's even worse for TV though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »

That's the appeal is it not (of Kids Movies)?

Anyway, I really liked Mean Creek. But it didn't strike me as realistic, maybe that's how American kids act. I dunno.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies