Absolution.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:35:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Absolution.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Absolution.  (Read 1714 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »

I'm not absolutely sure absolution is the name for it, but I have a question about that Catholic doctrine that the 'sinner' can get away with his sins and go to heaven rather than hell if at the last moment he confesses, begs forgiveness, and whatnot.

The question is this - do Protestants believe this also?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2009, 12:15:14 PM by tik »

Not in the same way as Catholics, but yes. Every Christian sect (as far as I know) recognizes that if you genuinely ask God for forgiveness and accept Christ, you're saved. Take the criminal who was crucified beside Jesus as a good example.

Edit for some clarification: Protestant churches don't require an active confession of sins in order to be saved. It is more often a private matter, and while publicly confessing is regarded as a way to build spiritual character and gain affirmation, it is by no means required. I'm not sure of the Catholic position on doing this... when I was a follower, one of the problems with Catholics that I had was the emphasis on ritual and "deeds" in order to be saved, something in direct contrast with a lot of Paul's teachings. I'll stop now and wait for Soulty to completely tear that misinterpretation down.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »

St. John taught that "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Roman Catholics, Orthodox Christians, mainline Protestants and Evagelicals all believe that one can and must confess sin to receive forgiveness.  The notion of confessing to a clergyperson (not exclusively Catholic or Orthodox -- Anglicans and Episcopalians offer it as well) is often misunderstood by those ignorant of these traditions as though people are asking the priest for forgiveness and receiving it from him.  (or her).  In reality, and I hope Soulty clarifies this from a Roman perspective because his answers are always so instructive, the idea is that we unburden ourselve -- honestly and with integrity, not "gilding the lily" as it were -- in the presence of a Priest.  The Priest announces God's absolution, in Christ.  So, the priest does not forgive sins.  He or she proclaims the forgiveness of God.  Penance, when done rightly, is not aimed at paying for your sins.  (Jesus did that already.)  It is designed to help you develop spiritual disciplines that help you avoid sin in the future -- and, when possible -- to seek restoration with someone you have wronged.

But Evangelicals and mainline Protestants are also right -- this is not an either/or falso choice, or it shouldn't be...  The Bible is quite clear that the individual can, and should, make confession directly to God...and be assured of God's mercy.

Now -- to the question of true repentance and late repentance -- the old saying is that true repentance is seldom late and late repentance is seldom true.  That holds logic, but only to a point.  The thief crucified alongside the Lord Jesus was certainly coming to his senses very late in the game.  And then, if you want to discuss Jesus' parables, there are those workers who were paid the same wage for one hour's work as those who toiled the whole, hot day.

Could/Would God forgive Jeffrey Dahmer?  Yes.  But only God can see what was in a person's heart when he or she made confession  (with or without the aid of clergy). 

And there is where we must leave it.  In hands far more capable, just and merciful than our own.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »

Speaking as a Catholic, I try and give people a 'leg up' even after death. No matter how far you fall, if you were loved as you loved there will always be a hand to catch you.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »

considering a deathbed conversion, opebo?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »

considering a deathbed conversion, opebo?

Pascal would be proud.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies