What's up with New Hampshire? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:45:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What's up with New Hampshire? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's up with New Hampshire?  (Read 7490 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 24, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
« edited: December 24, 2008, 09:48:48 AM by brittain33 »

It's my understanding that gays, women, and minorities have the same rights as everyone else. They are free to work, to vote to do whatever.

Setting aside the right to marry, I can be fired in something like 35 states for being gay if my boss finds it out and disapproves. This isn't a problem for straight people, and people can not be fired because of gender discrimination or racial discrimination, which includes men and Caucasians who believe they've been discriminated against for that basis. Also, we do not have the right to serve in the military (DADT is a joke). We can be compelled to testify in court against our partners. We can not transfer property or inherit pension benefits without tax penalties. My partner gets health care through my company's partner benefits, but I must pay federal income tax on that benefit as income, while if he were a woman, they'd be tax free. We must fill out separate customs forms when we return from traveling overseas, including from our honeymoon. We can not be guaranteed hospital visitation rights or the right to make medical decisions in most states. This is just a start. It's not all about "protecting traditional values."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »

Hey brittain, are you active at all in Democratic politics?

No... I've done some volunteering for legislative campaigns, but not recently. I'm absolutely not cut out for elected office. Why do you ask?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »

I'm trying to find some way to push through this crazy 'liberaltarian' notion of mine, that would unite liberals and (principled) libertarians on social issues. But I'm only nineteen, and the only person I know myself who could run for office and win is a few years away from being eligible for a position of any importance.

Yeah, I don't feel I have a good grasp on changes in power. All I can say is that in my experience (and no doubt yours) a lot of young people feel the same way, and I've seen some make progress at a local and state level, so there's potential there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies