Roman Senate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:49:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Roman Senate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roman Senate  (Read 33788 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 24, 2008, 11:44:03 AM »

Yes another one.

However I liked the idea of a game set in an 'expansionist' arena. The idea is simple - we are the Senate. However it's a Senate with rules...and um without them so to speak. Unlike real Rome, each province sends a Senator. Some provinces are stable, some provinces aren't. Some provinces and Senators aren't Wink There could be people playing client state rulers and so on. And there are wars, because they can be fun Grin

Also the Senate 'elects' an Emperor from amongst their own. I had thought about setting it just after the death of Caesar and the transition from Republic to Empire to reflect the state of things when setting a game up Smiley

Thoughts?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Senator from Gaul.

Maybe integrate some Asterix stuff in there for fun? Grin

I need to decide how the provinces are to be split. They probably won't be exactly the same, but can then be subdivided if more people join up.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »

So for example here we have a 16 province split if we started at say 100AD

I. ITALIA SUPERIOR
II. ITALIA INFERIOR
III. PANNONIA
IV. ILLYRICUM
V. MACEDONIA
VI. ACHAEA
VII. THRACIA
VIII. MOESIA
IX. ASIA
X. CAPPACDOCIA
XI. SYRIA
XII. AEGYPTUS
XIII. AFRICA
XIV. MAURETANIA
XV. GALLIA
XVI. BRITTANIA
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:40:45 PM »

For a game kicking off in 44BC after the death of Caesar. The light blue areas are tributary states outside the Empire...for now.

Of course we could do the whole thing with the Holy Roman Empire too Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »

I'd go for Cyrenacia...you know because it's more mixed.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »

Actually, I'd totally be up for Holy Roman Empire instead of Roman Empire, myself.  Religious intrigue and dynasties, oh my!

Sowwy SoS Sad

I've always liked the idea of something self contained. The thing is I'd play the Holy Roman Empire along the lines of the German Confederation which suceeded it. And the confederation itself pretty much was self serving trying to put down the liberal revolutions etc. So the idea could be combined I guess.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

So what appeals? Rome or Holy Rome/German Confederation Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »

Old Rome it is Smiley

The idea is simple. It is post 44BC and Caesar has been stabbed. Cue anarchy. Cue the Senate. The Senate, for now concerns itself with military and economic matters. Each province sends a Senator, each Senator serves himself (and also acts as governor). He wants solely what is good for his province with little regard for anhything else. Unless you represent a civilised province when you have your people to worry about.

Senators may work together, there may even be genuine friendships but the Senate floor is a chaotic

Each Senator has at his command an army. By itself it can do no more than keep the peace, satve off raiders or invade barabarian territories for the privelage of Rome (and spoils Smiley ) but together they can overthrow an Emperor or split the Empire in two....
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 06:01:59 PM by afleitch »

Okay rough estimate here.

Belgica
Gallia - Hashemite
Narbonensis
Hispania
Lusitania - PiT
Italia Inferior - G.O.P
Italia Superior - SoS
Dalmatia
Achaea
Asia
Pontus
Syria - Ben
Cyrenacia - Afleitch
Africa - HappyWarrior.

If these get full we can absorb the vassals and then start subdividing the larger provinces.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »

Done.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »

I think it's a great idea Smiley Of course the Roman notion of law was that laws are thought to express ideals that people should strive to achieve. Not to express minimum requirements that must be met.

Which makes devising such flexable laws all the more fun Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »

It seems interesting.

If it ever begins, I would take Hispania.
Or Belgica if it's "vacated".

It seems interesting.

If it ever begins, I would take Hispania.
Or Belgica if it's "vacated".

Kinda difficult to get it started Sad
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 06:34:16 AM »

Okay. Let's have a look at it again!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2009, 07:15:55 AM by afleitch »

Crikey! This has picked up a bit Smiley

I'll need to have a look at it again.

Oh and I'll jump and take Cyrenacia Cheesy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »

On Afleitch's original map I'd be happy to play the Egyptian client king Wink

Howdy neighbour Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 03:49:57 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2009, 04:34:46 AM by afleitch »

Me. Hang on i'll think of one.

EDIT:

Titus Appolonius Galeo (known as Titus Appolonius)
Birthplace: Crete
Senator for: Creta et Cyrenacia

Titus' rise to the Senate has been very recent. The favoured grandson of Helios Appolonius, he was elevated to the Senate on his grandfathers death. Born in Crete like all his family he claims descent from an encounter between the god Apollo and a 'North Briton' mother whom Apollo brought to Rome. Just as fantastic as that claim, Titus fully intends to govern the whole of the province rather than concentrate solely on Crete as his grandfather did. This may put him in direct conflict with neighbouring Egypt. However like his family before him he may be able to retreat from conflict given Crete's relative isolation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »

Should I maybe resign my place as a Senator so I can take over as king of Egypt?

No, I don't think that would be necessary. You could certainly "speak for" the King, but I'd like to keep you in the Senate.

Besides, Rome will probably 'consume' Egypt shortly anyway Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »

Antonicus has been nominated for foreign policy consul. Any opposed?

Any nominations for domestic consul?

While a return to democratic normality is somewhat refreshing, would the Senate not agree that we perhaps lack a robust titular leadership?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »

Antonicus has been nominated for foreign policy consul. Any opposed?

Any nominations for domestic consul?

While a return to democratic normality is somewhat refreshing, would the Senate not agree that we perhaps lack a robust titular leadership?

Up until now Titus, I have been unofficially working as Senate Chair. It would be fine if anyone deemed themselves better Senate leaders than I could be.

I would ask the Senator to forgive the vaguities of this youths prior statement. I have nothing but admiration for your stewardship during this dificult time and would not wish your position to be usurped. I feel that electing two consuls is like electing a man with two heads; despite the wishes of each head he can only move in one direction and can only move in that direction if both heads agree on a chosen path.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

Being not much older than yourself, Senator, I surely understand and accept your apologies. As Senator Antonicus has pointed out, it is deemed more expedient to have two consuls whose terms will rotate, rather than a dictator whom may prove to be unfit.

I will accept your goodwill and withdraw my protest. The most immediate threat to the stability of the Republic; and let it be known Senators that we are not as stable as we should be, are our stationed legions. It is in a mans stomach for him to savour the prospect of battle and conflict. We are truly lucky that our field of battle is this very chamber but we cannot say the same for those who seek a bloodier satisfaction to their urges. If their enemy are not the barbarous hordes outside our borders then they will be the peaceful citizens within this fragile Republic and we cannot let that happen again.

Therefore I will second Antonicus' nomination and hope he shall endeavor to ensure that our legions are sated with dare I say it 'foreign exploits.'
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »

Given that I'm out of a job I might return to this Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies