Wasn't 1992 a realigning election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:46:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Wasn't 1992 a realigning election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wasn't 1992 a realigning election?  (Read 24659 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »

No: Clinton won partly because he was able to pull the Democratic party significantly to the right of where it had been before. And even then, the Republicans made huge gains in 1994.

No, Clinton was a hardcore liberal in 1992, and then when the Republicans won in 1994 he claimed their platform as his own just so that he could be reelected.

In 1992 Bill Clinton said he would cut taxes for the middle class, so he wasn't a "hardcore" liberal in 1992, and he never was. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2010, 12:42:56 AM by Fuzzybigfoot »

No: Clinton won partly because he was able to pull the Democratic party significantly to the right of where it had been before. And even then, the Republicans made huge gains in 1994.

No, Clinton was a hardcore liberal in 1992, and then when the Republicans won in 1994 he claimed their platform as his own just so that he could be reelected.

In 1992 Bill Clinton said he would cut taxes for the middle class, so he wasn't a "hardcore" liberal in 1992, and he never was. 

I thought cutting taxes for the middle class (and poor) was a liberal position. It's cutting taxes for the rich which is a conservative idea.

I was talking about how it could technically as conservative position, if you look at it as "less taxes=less government", although I agree with you, the current day conservatives give the biggest breaks to the wealthy.  The wealthy pay a higher percentage in tax brackets, but can afford higher brackets compared to the average worker.  I don't mind the idea of tax breaks for the middle class.  Middle class tax cuts don't drag the deficit down as much, considering the wealth have the most money and can have their taxes raised enough to compensate for it (in usual circumstances).  On top of that, the middle class has much, much lesss wealth and are a smaller base of tax revenue.  I think something better would be to expand the middle class earning base, thus they make more money, thus it means bigger wages to tax=more tax revenue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies