The World 2050
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:42:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The World 2050
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: The World 2050  (Read 138355 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »

I really don't see why everybody thinks China and India will do so well. Most of India is still an uneducated, third-world country. China is growing too rapidly to be sustainable, and the one child policy will stifle growth as well. Communism cannot sustain growth like that.

Well, I've actually thought it has down quite well, actually, so far. But the growth is invisible, despite upticks in international clout and domestic "prosperity". China is a ticking time bomb, and basically Japan on steroids. Sometime in the decade after next people will realize that this is just a short term trend for China.

Indeed.

I think India has potential, but there's such a disparity between the urban and rural areas in terms of standard of living.

India is on more of a "fault line" amd could potentially be a world player. China, however, will either fragment as it has done in the past, or sacrifice economic growth for some sort of neo-Maoism. I'm inclined to think the former, and the former would benefit Westerners and coastal Chinese cities. I mean, really, a top buisnessman in Shanghai has numerous dealings, of course, but what gives him the most profits? The ones in New York, London, and Tokyo. He has far more to gain by foriegn relationships then domestic ones in Beijing or inland.

As for India, its position is strategic, but it has considerable hurdles that it needs to overcome. Poverty and conflict with Pakistan to name two. But you surely know that already. Wink

I want to study International Affairs in College, and if you can tell, I am considerably more interested by external affairs then internal ones.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2009, 12:59:34 AM »

I really don't see why everybody thinks China and India will do so well. Most of India is still an uneducated, third-world country. China is growing too rapidly to be sustainable, and the one child policy will stifle growth as well. Communism cannot sustain growth like that.

Well, I've actually thought it has down quite well, actually, so far. But the growth is invisible, despite upticks in international clout and domestic "prosperity". China is a ticking time bomb, and basically Japan on steroids. Sometime in the decade after next people will realize that this is just a short term trend for China.

Indeed.

I think India has potential, but there's such a disparity between the urban and rural areas in terms of standard of living.

India is on more of a "fault line" amd could potentially be a world player. China, however, will either fragment as it has done in the past, or sacrifice economic growth for some sort of neo-Maoism. I'm inclined to think the former, and the former would benefit Westerners and coastal Chinese cities. I mean, really, a top buisnessman in Shanghai has numerous dealings, of course, but what gives him the most profits? The ones in New York, London, and Tokyo. He has far more to gain by foriegn relationships then domestic ones in Beijing or inland.

As for India, its position is strategic, but it has considerable hurdles that it needs to overcome. Poverty and conflict with Pakistan to name two. But you surely know that already. Wink

I want to study International Affairs in College, and if you can tell, I am considerably more interested by external affairs then internal ones.

Which makes your position as SOIA in fantasy land ironic Tongue
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2010, 02:52:50 AM by N!K »

Indeed.

Which makes your position as SOIA in fantasy land ironic Tongue

Hahaha, yeah, it kind of is. I am interested in domestic affairs too, just not as much. I do understand all of the issues and I know how to explain them, though, especially immigration and social policy. Cheesy
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2009, 01:24:07 AM »

Ok, here's a good general prediction: Most technologies we predict to advance significantly between now and then won't advance much while other technologies off our radar or anticipated to stagnate boom.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »

Indeed.

The disparity's between rich and poor, not urban and rural.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »

President-for-life Miley Cyrus leads the US to complete domination of the world by 2025.

*snip*

Sexy dictators ftw!

My fantasys want that picture to be real.  Shocked

And I didn't know you were into the christian chicks, Winston.

Full of surprises, aren't I? Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »

Indeed.

Well yeah, that's a big factor too. My point is that India is extremely poor in its rural areas.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »

President-for-life Miley Cyrus leads the US to complete domination of the world by 2025.

Sexy dictators ftw!

Love those knockers man, bury my face in it!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »

This is an interesting place to discuss future history/predict the future. I just registered there.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/index.php

Granted, it is probably filled with many more "Eurohacks" then here, and probably don't understand basic historical results, instead going for the media-hype of China.

Much of what they discuss is media hype. Interesting though.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »

*snip*

Sexy dictators ftw!

Full of surprises, aren't I? Tongue

Indeed. Smiley

Of course, whether she's into 16 year old Satanist Libertarians is another question Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »

Indeed.

Which is one and the same. The urban poor would actually not be so poor if they lived in rural areas. 50% of Mumbai lives in slums and I bet at least half of them, if not more, make way more money than the average rural dweller. The same amount of money buys you almost nothing in Mumbai as compared to the villages.

Plus city dwellers would have much much better access to education than those in rural areas and that is certainly more important than how much money their parents make.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2009, 04:20:44 PM by Frodo »

China will be a parliamentary democracy as well as a global superpower on par with the United States (by then a clearly declining power in both relative and absolute terms).

Greenhouse gases emitted from anthropogenic sources (factories, vehicles, etc.) will be stabilized, and on their way down to 1990 levels.

The non-Hispanic white population (WASP) in the United States will have only a plurality of the total population.

We will still have a two-party system here in the United States, between Republicans and Democrats.

The U.S. Republican Party will have finally overcome its problems appealing to racial/ethnic minorities (with the exception of African Americans), with traditional (aka, socially/religious conservative) values being the glue tying the new coalition together.  

We will have established colonies on the Moon and Mars.

I am pretty much sticking with these predictions, although I would add India as one of the global superpowers; and that whoever colonizes the Moon and Mars (as well as beyond) will most definitely be either China or India -it certainly won't be the United States leading the effort.  We've shot our bolt by setting a man on the Moon in 1969 as well as building and completing the International Space Station.  We're done as a space-faring nation.

Also, we will have universal health care (much along the lines of the Senate plan).    
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »

Yes educating everyone is certainly a prerequisite to sustained growth but India has been doing.that. Although the overall literacy rate is 62%, the literacy rate for those under 15 is 82%. And if you compare it to 1947, you will notice a stark difference. The real question is whether the trend will continue till everyone is educated or if it will stall. Some proactive measures (like giving meals with schooling thus incentivising poor parents to send their kids to school, not work) indicate it should continue.

In addition more than half of Indians are under the age of 30 and this bodes very well for sustained growth, especially when you consider the higher education rates among this group. And even low education is not always bad since it provides for low labor rates for jobs which don't require education. China has excelled at this by doing most of the world's menial manufacturing. India needs to catch up but the problem is that it's got much, much stricter labor laws. Now I wouldn't want to subject Indian workers to the conditions Chinese workers go through (well it already does happen in the informal sector) but common sense reforms could make things better.

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »

Take the most extreme predictions (good and bad) and scale them back an order of magnitude or so.  And add in a few people aren't expecting. 

It's fairly clear that the US will become a nation with no racial majority (just as California is now), and in fact the whole concept of race will begin to fade from national consciousness as a larger and larger percentage of the population will be multiracial.  Just as few people now differentiate between Anglo-Saxons and Irish (which used to be a big deal, once upon a time) social stigma based on race will continue to decline.

Open bigotry against gays will be fairly taboo, but will still exist in some quarters.  Gay marriage will be established as a norm, with a sizable minority (10-20%) still uncomfortable with or opposed to it.

Abortion will decline as a major issue as improvements in the reliability and availability of contraception render the debate almost moot with unintended pregnancies limited to rape victims, people with a severe lack in judgment, very rare prevention failures, and those who don't believe in contraception on religious grounds (and will not seek abortion on the same grounds anyway)

Human cloning will exist, but be frowned upon.  It will greatly disappoint those who expect a mini-me of themselves, being only a much younger twin with different life experiences.  This will lead to some limited research on the whole nature vs nurture debate, but information will be limited as any sort of strictly controlled experiment would create numerous violations of medical and psychological ethics.

The human genome will be fully mapped.  The earliest genetically engineered children (not super beings, but optimized selections from the parents gene sets ALA gattica) will be nearing their teens, and the procedure will be increasingly available among the middle to upper middle class.

Illegal immigration will decrease somewhat as other nations become less desperate places to live and overall quality of life increases across most parts of the globe.

Due to global warming, the northeast passage will become open year round and become a major shipping route between Europe and China/India.

China will stagnate some amidst internal power struggles (secrecy breeds corruption) but will eventually make fits and starts toward something resembling a parliamentary democracy. 

India will gradually rise to be the #2 world economic power, bypassing Japan and closing the gap with the US.  (though informally the EU will be competitive for the number 1 slot, it is still too loose a confederation to be considered an actual government).  Slow and steady wins the race will describe their rise, as their literacy rate continues to grow and their poverty level gradually shrinks.

Global warming will not sink cities (at least not permanently) as the rise will be gradual (though accentuated by hurricanes pushing further inland and slightly increasing in number and intensity) - sensible governments will build levees and dikes to prevent the worst.

Iran will undergo a Renaissance.  The Islamic world as a whole will move forward from the twelfth to seventeenth century, embracing a more rational and realistic worldview.  Iranian youth who have been biding their time for the old theocrats to die off will eventually get their wish as time takes it's toll.
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »

Just to get this started again, what are people's views on the former British dominions, ala Canada and Australia? Will increased liberalism bring prosperity or tension?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2009, 06:21:31 AM »

Just to get this started again, what are people's views on the former British dominions, ala Canada and Australia? Will increased liberalism bring prosperity or tension?

The Commonwealth will die, as will Royal power over it.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2009, 03:20:04 PM by Iosip™ »

WARNING: Very out there, even by the standards of this thread.

US

- The US has retreated into itself, developing a reputation as an recovering, deeply conservative 'hermit kingdom.' The US has a regionalized, multi party system and far smaller federal government. The 'New-New Left'  has experienced a come back however.
- United States is roughly developed world after about 1-2 generations of struggling (after the 'Greatest Depression' of the 2010s). Quality of life is substantially improved but most professions would be considered 'blue collar' by current standards. Manufacturing, farming, etc. make up a much higher percentage of the economy than now.
- The 'Sun Belt' experienced an exodus of people as economic crisis and various ecological crises took their toll (e.g. Central/Southern Californian Water Shortages). No area was left unscathed, but the west and midwest fared best overall.
- Fossil Fuel use and 'the car culture' are far smaller than now. The US was essentially forced to reduce its dependence on foreign oil and by extension, the modern highway system.
- The US and Mexico are closer, but only after Mexico's narco-gang situation and economic situation essentially caused that country to go into meltdown. US relations with West Europe are fairly positive although there is some lingering resentment on the part of the former. Relations with China have collapsed (post dollar crash) but Japan and Korea are somewhat friendlier particularly with the North Korean crisis resolved.

World Politics (Continued)

- Terrorism has declined post-2020s, but after violent flare ups throughout the 2010s spurred in part through US actions to prop up the unstable Afghani/Pakistani and Saudi regimes.
- 'Globalization' as we think of it essentially ended between 2010-2025. The US currency crisis, socialist and nationalist movements, oil price shocks, etc. all contributed to this. New global finance systems have emerged, but they are far more restrained and economies tend to be much more regionalized than now.
- China has essentially fractured after having decoupled itself from its former partner/debtor. Problems behind their implosion include a growing muslim and christian population, pollution, an angry working and middle class...
- India was devastated by the implosion of the US as well as food, energy shortages. It has recovered in time however, now enjoying a much better quality of life in the last few decades.
- West Europe has experienced a comeback, with France asserting itself as a major regional power. It has moved to the right and the muslim population has declined (a reaction to the chaos of 20-30 years prior). There are some noticeable exceptions to this trend however, they tend to be more of the Green persuasion.
- Russia is a developed nation finally, after decades of struggling to get the AIDs crisis and corruption under control. It's undergoing considerable liberalization now as the burgeoning middle class finally demands more of its leaders.
- Africa experienced horrific die offs, hitting rock bottom in the 2020s. It hasn't really recovered outside of a few exceptions such as South Africa.
- The mideast is increasingly seen as irrelevant due to energy development. Turkey and Lebanon are 1st world nations. Israel while still around is far more marginalized than previously in the wake of the USA's decline. Saudi Arabia fell and took Yemen with it. Afghanistan and Iraq are best left unmentioned.
- Brazil is a major regional power in Latin America. It has modernized its infrastructure and social services and absorbed many American ex-pats. Crime; Corruption is at average levels now.

Technology and Misc. Stuff

- AI advances enormously, but there is no 'singularity' type event.
- 'Smart Clothes' (fabrics displaying/intergating information), military bodysuits, cybernetics, etc. are ubiquitous.
- Cars are still around, though all are electric and trains are used frequently for both short and long distance travel.
- Most developed nations have started serious mining of Helium-3, Lithium, etc. Lunar, Astroid Colonies are a reality. This is viewed as a necessity at this point.
- Virtual Reality and Video Games are still around and extremely immersive, but society has become wary of their negative effects - addiction, depersonalization, etc. as well as the deterioration of social skills. There are serious efforts taking place to combat these trends.
- Smart phones and laptops have replaced PCs for daily use.
- Life expectancy in developed nations exceeds 100 and anti aging technologies have worked wonders. Nonetheless, euthanasia is seen as socially acceptable now.
- Renewable energy is the norm. Natural Gas, Nuclear Power, etc. account for a substantial amount of energy as well particularly in the US. Various synthetics and 'biological' alternatives are being used in lieu of plastic.
- Blimp travel became common again in response to oil price spikes.
- Urban centers grow, suburbs decline due to crash in home value, gas price spikes, etc. Home ownership is not the norm.
- HIV/AIDS vaccine is in circulation, and has spurred serious movements to reform or even abolish patent laws. The most extremist of these movements are the infosocialists, some of which are now terrorist in nature.
- Genetic engineering and cloning. has dramatically outpaced society's ability to regulate the process. Illegal designer babies, clones (including of humans), and GMO crops are the norm. The right, left and center are very divided on these issues, with luddite 'bio-conservatives' and greens on one extreme end and 'evolutionary conservatives' and 'liberal eugenicists' on another.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2009, 06:36:34 AM »

WARNING: Very out there, even by the standards of this thread.

US

- The US has retreated into itself, developing a reputation as an recovering, deeply conservative 'hermit kingdom.' The US has a regionalized, multi party system and far smaller federal government. The 'New-New Left'  has experienced a come back however.
- United States is roughly developed world after about 1-2 generations of struggling (after the 'Greatest Depression' of the 2010s). Quality of life is substantially improved but most professions would be considered 'blue collar' by current standards. Manufacturing, farming, etc. make up a much higher percentage of the economy than now.
- The 'Sun Belt' experienced an exodus of people as economic crisis and various ecological crises took their toll (e.g. Central/Southern Californian Water Shortages). No area was left unscathed, but the west and midwest fared best overall.
- Fossil Fuel use and 'the car culture' are far less substantial than now. The US was essentially forced to reduce its dependence on foreign oil and by extension, the modern highway system.
- The US and Mexico became closer out of necessity as the narco gang situation and economic implosion of the 2010s forced them to put aside their differences. US relations with West Europe are fairly positive although there is some lingering resentment on the part of the former. Relations with China have collapsed (post dollar crash) but Japan and Korea are somewhat friendlier particularly with the North Korean crisis resolved.

World Politics (Continued)

- Terrorism has declined post-2020s, but after violent flare ups throughout the 2010s spurred in part through US actions to prop up the unstable Afghani/Pakistani and Saudi regimes.
- 'Globalization' as we think of it essentially ended between 2010-2025. The US currency crisis, socialist and nationalist movements, oil price shocks, etc. all contributed to this. New global finance systems have emerged, but they are far more restrained and economies tend to be much more regionalized than now.
- China has essentially fractured after having decoupled itself from its former partner/debtor. Problems behind their implosion include a growing muslim and christian population, pollution, an angry working and middle class...
- India was devastated by the implosion of the US as well as food, energy shortages. It has recovered in time however, now enjoying a much better quality of life in the last few decades.
- West Europe has experienced a comeback, with France asserting itself as a major regional power. It has moved to the right and the muslim population has declined (a reaction to the chaos of 20-30 years prior). There are some noticeable exceptions to this trend however, they tend to be more of the Green persuasion.
- Russia is a developed nation finally, after decades of struggling to get the AIDs crisis and corruption under control. It's undergoing considerable liberalization now as the burgeoning middle class finally demands more of its leaders.
- Africa experienced horrific die offs, hitting rock bottom in the 2020s. It hasn't really recovered outside of a few exceptions such as South Africa which now has substantially improved quality of life.
- The mideast is increasingly seen as irrelevant due to energy development. Turkey and Lebanon are 1st world nations. Israel while still around is fare more marginalized than previously in the wake of the USA's decline. Saudi Arabia fell and took Yemen with it. Afghanistan and Iraq are best left unmentioned.
- Brazil is a major regional power in Latin America. It has modernized its infrastructure and social services and absorbed many American ex-pats. Crime; Corruption is at average levels now.

Technology and Misc. Stuff

- AI advances enormously, but there is no 'singularity' type event.
- 'Smart Clothes' (fabrics displaying/intergating information), military bodysuits, cybernetics, etc. are ubiquitous.
- Cars are still around, though all are electric and trains are used frequently for both short and long distance travel.
- Most developed nations have started serious mining of Helium-3, Lithium, etc. Lunar, Astroid Colonies are a reality. This is viewed as a necessity at this point.
- Virtual Reality and Video Games are still around and extremely immersive, but society has become wary of their negative effects - addiction, depersonalization, etc. as well as the deterioration of social skills. There are serious efforts taking place to combat these trends.
- Smart phones and laptops have replaced PCs for daily use.
- Life expectancy in developed nations exceeds 100 and anti aging technologies have worked wonders. Nonetheless, euthanasia is seen as socially acceptable now.
- Renewable energy is the norm. Natural Gas, Nuclear Power, etc. account for a substantial amount of energy as well particularly in the US. Various synthetics and 'biological' alternatives are being used in lieu of plastic.
- Blimp travel became common again in response to oil price spikes.
- Urban centers grow, suburbs decline due to crash in home value, gas price spikes, etc. Home ownership is not the norm.
- HIV/AIDS vaccine is in circulation, and has spurred serious movements to reform or even abolish patent laws. The most extremist of these movements are the infosocialists, some of which are now terrorist in nature.
- Genetic engineering and cloning. has dramatically outpaced society's ability to regulate the process. Illegal designer babies, clones (including of humans), and GMO crops are the norm. The right, left and center are very divided on these issues, with luddite 'bio-conservatives' and greens on one extreme end and 'evolutionary conservatives' and 'liberal eugenicists' on another.

Not too out there Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »

Lol, Donut's prediction is insane.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »

China will be a parliamentary democracy as well as a global superpower on par with the United States (by then a clearly declining power in both relative and absolute terms).

Greenhouse gases emitted from anthropogenic sources (factories, vehicles, etc.) will be stabilized, and on their way down to 1990 levels.

The non-Hispanic white population (WASP) in the United States will have only a plurality of the total population.

We will still have a two-party system here in the United States, between Republicans and Democrats.

The U.S. Republican Party will have finally overcome its problems appealing to racial/ethnic minorities (with the exception of African Americans), with traditional (aka, socially/religious conservative) values being the glue tying the new coalition together.  

I am pretty much sticking with these predictions, although I would add India as one of the global superpowers; and that whoever colonizes the Moon and Mars (as well as beyond) will most definitely be either China or India -it certainly won't be the United States leading the effort.  We've shot our bolt by setting a man on the Moon in 1969 as well as building and completing the International Space Station.  We're done as a space-faring nation.

Also, we will have universal health care (much along the lines of the Senate plan).    

Also want to add that Iran and Iraq will be thriving democracies.

Palestine will exist as an internationally recognized state in the West Bank with East Jerusalem as its capital.  And after one last war, Gaza will no longer exist as a separate political entity, with its inhabitants having been trucked out by Israel and dumped into the far southern fringes of Israel.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »

Palestine will exist as an internationally recognized state in the West Bank with East Jerusalem as its capital.  And after one last war, Gaza will no longer exist as a separate political entity, with its inhabitants having been trucked out by Israel and dumped into the far southern fringes of Israel.

I don't think anyone will colonize the Moon or Mars by 2050. It takes up too much resources, money, and energy. It takes two years just to get to Mars, not to mention we'll need to find your years' worth of spare oxygen for the voyage (2 years to get there, 2 years to get back). If anyone wanted to colonize the Moon, they'd have done it by now, but we hadn't been in the Moon since 1972.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:33 AM »

USA 2050:

-US Demographics will be 50% white, 28% hispanic, 12% black, and 7% asian.
-Racial differences will not be a big deal anymore. Hispanics will integrate into traditional "American" culture similar to how the Irish, Italians, and other immigrants did from the 1900s and on.
-75-80% of energy is generated from solar, wind, or renewable sources
- The Green Movement will have created millions of jobs for Americans and will have led to a revitalization of the Midwest and California
- The Senate will be 50% female, House of Reps 40%
- The two parties will still be in power but will have changed a bit. Democrats will be more similar to European social democrats and the Republicans will be moderate conservatives
-Gay marriage and abortion won't be huge political issues as people have become much more accepting of them
- The voting age will be lowered to 16
- America will still be a superpower but will not be as dominant as it currently is

I also think China will collapse and India will grow the most economically. The EU will be a major global player and Brazil will be an emerging power. Russia won't be much of anything.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »

This will lead to some limited research on the whole nature vs nurture debate, but information will be limited as any sort of strictly controlled experiment would create numerous violations of medical and psychological ethics.

Oh, but we'd want to, oh so very much!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wait, within Islam, if we want to describe it as getting more progressive, wouldn't we want it to move from the seventeenth century to the twelfth century? Wink
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »

I don't think anyone will colonize the Moon or Mars by 2050. It takes up too much resources, money, and energy. It takes two years just to get to Mars, not to mention we'll need to find your years' worth of spare oxygen for the voyage (2 years to get there, 2 years to get back). If anyone wanted to colonize the Moon, they'd have done it by now, but we hadn't been in the Moon since 1972.

I think you are speaking primarily from the American point-of-view, and underestimating the strength and power of nationalist passions in India and China.  In either of those two nations, I doubt it (taking up too much resources) would be much of an issue at all.  The race to put a human colony on either the Moon or Mars between these two rising Great Powers is primarily about status and symbolism, just as it was between the United States and the Soviet Union in the years between the launching of Sputnik and the landing of the first men on the Moon.  When your primary mission is to prevent your rival from a national achievement as momentous as setting a man on the Moon or to establish the first human colony on a world beyond the reach of Earth, money is no object -especially when it concerns space.   
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2010, 02:26:03 AM »

I think you are speaking primarily from the American point-of-view, and underestimating the strength and power of nationalist passions in India and China.  In either of those two nations, I doubt it (taking up too much resources) would be much of an issue at all.  The race to put a human colony on either the Moon or Mars between these two rising Great Powers is primarily about status and symbolism, just as it was between the United States and the Soviet Union in the years between the launching of Sputnik and the landing of the first men on the Moon.  When your primary mission is to prevent your rival from a national achievement as momentous as setting a man on the Moon or to establish the first human colony on a world beyond the reach of Earth, money is no object -especially when it concerns space.   

I'd like to see anyone try to put a human on Mars. I'm not saying that it can't be done--I'm just saying I think it's a foolish idea and great entertainment to watch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies