The World 2050 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The World 2050 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The World 2050  (Read 138568 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »

US
- The US has become very right-wing economically, though regulation of big business is no longer stigmatized by the right.
- WASPs will be only a plurality, but most people at this point consider Hispanics and Arabs white.
- Still the monopolar superpower, but many other nations are becoming powerful. At least 3 or 4 nations will have the economic power relative to the US as Japan's is the US today.
- Oil is rarely used in day to day life.
- The US and Mexico develop closer relations as the latter state modernizes and liberalizes.
- California has an unexpected economic resurgence at some point between now and 2050.
- The Northeast and Industrial Midwest aren't very influential due to population loss.
- Denver and Phoenix become even more influential.
- The Republicans and Democrats are still the two dominant parties, though neither advocates for social conservatism on the national level.
- Racial disparities are much less pronounced.

World Politics
- For a variety of reasons, China stagnates in the 2020s and never recovers.
- India is far more modern and powerful.
- West Europe has been in economic decline for the past few decades, save perhaps Ireland.
- Russia liberalizes at some point, which causes an economic resurgence.
- Africa is far more stable and developed, though still behind the rest of the world.
- War and terrorism are increasingly rare in the developed world.
- The EU either gains far more power over its constituent nations or dissolves.
- Most modernized democracies are slightly to the left economically of the current US, similar to modern Australia or Canada.

Technology and Misc. Stuff
- AI advances little, and many computer scientists have moved on.
- Growth in computer power all but stagnates.
- Cars are still common, though all are electric and trains are used frequently for both short and long distance travel.
- There is a moon colony, though colonizing Mars has yet to occur (humans have only visited the planet once).
- Virtual reality is another over-hyped technology that advances little.
- Video games are the primary hobby for over 2/3 of all males, and 1/4 of all females.
- Smart phones and laptops have replaced PCs for daily use.
- Life expectancy in developed nations is ~90.
- Renewable energy is the norm.
- Urban centers grow, but suburbs and exurbs don't decline as many thought they would.
- Some jobs now have 4 day work weeks.
- America no longer has a weight problem, but many European and Asian countries continue struggle with it as they lagged behind the US in starting and solving the problem.
- Robotics experience a slight boom, but then stagnate as AI fails to keep up.
- Global Warming is now hotly debated, and a growing number of scientists reject it as the Earth cooled in the 2030s and 2040s.
- Genetic engineering is stigmatized and researchers hit major walls that are yet to be broken.
- Common forms of cancer reach nearly 100% survivability.
- An HIV/AIDS vaccine is developed.
- The issue of bacterial resistance to antibiotics through mutation is resolved.
- Overall, the world is technologically very similar to today's world. The once anticipated 'J' curve of technological growth never materializes, instead it turns out to be an 'S' curve, with the peak development rate in the 2010s and early 2020s. 
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »

I really don't see why everybody thinks China and India will do so well. Most of India is still an uneducated, third-world country. China is growing too rapidly to be sustainable, and the one child policy will stifle growth as well. Communism cannot sustain growth like that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »

I really don't see why everybody thinks China and India will do so well. Most of India is still an uneducated, third-world country. China is growing too rapidly to be sustainable, and the one child policy will stifle growth as well. Communism cannot sustain growth like that.

Well, I've actually thought it has down quite well, actually, so far. But the growth is invisible, despite upticks in international clout and domestic "prosperity". China is a ticking time bomb, and basically Japan on steroids. Sometime in the decade after next people will realize that this is just a short term trend for China.

Indeed.

I think India has potential, but there's such a disparity between the urban and rural areas in terms of standard of living.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:59:34 AM »

Well, I've actually thought it has down quite well, actually, so far. But the growth is invisible, despite upticks in international clout and domestic "prosperity". China is a ticking time bomb, and basically Japan on steroids. Sometime in the decade after next people will realize that this is just a short term trend for China.

Indeed.

I think India has potential, but there's such a disparity between the urban and rural areas in terms of standard of living.

India is on more of a "fault line" amd could potentially be a world player. China, however, will either fragment as it has done in the past, or sacrifice economic growth for some sort of neo-Maoism. I'm inclined to think the former, and the former would benefit Westerners and coastal Chinese cities. I mean, really, a top buisnessman in Shanghai has numerous dealings, of course, but what gives him the most profits? The ones in New York, London, and Tokyo. He has far more to gain by foriegn relationships then domestic ones in Beijing or inland.

As for India, its position is strategic, but it has considerable hurdles that it needs to overcome. Poverty and conflict with Pakistan to name two. But you surely know that already. Wink

I want to study International Affairs in College, and if you can tell, I am considerably more interested by external affairs then internal ones.

Which makes your position as SOIA in fantasy land ironic Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:24:07 AM »

Ok, here's a good general prediction: Most technologies we predict to advance significantly between now and then won't advance much while other technologies off our radar or anticipated to stagnate boom.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »

Indeed.

The disparity's between rich and poor, not urban and rural.

Well yeah, that's a big factor too. My point is that India is extremely poor in its rural areas.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »

This is an interesting place to discuss future history/predict the future. I just registered there.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/index.php

Granted, it is probably filled with many more "Eurohacks" then here, and probably don't understand basic historical results, instead going for the media-hype of China.

Much of what they discuss is media hype. Interesting though.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »

If there is a "cure for everything", then presumably medical costs would decrease due to early prevention and quick healing.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »

BTW, I think the US will be far less different from the modern US than people think, at least culturally and politically (though to the left socially, as boomers die off).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies