The World 2050 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:24:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The World 2050 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The World 2050  (Read 138560 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 27, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »
« edited: November 24, 2010, 02:50:07 AM by N!K »

Anyone want to try and make  a prediction? I am a future buff myself, and am obsessed with it.  I dream of a day when I can see it.

I'll predict the United States still has superpower-level status.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »

I really don't see why everybody thinks China and India will do so well. Most of India is still an uneducated, third-world country. China is growing too rapidly to be sustainable, and the one child policy will stifle growth as well. Communism cannot sustain growth like that.

Well, I've actually thought it has down quite well, actually, so far. But the growth is invisible, despite upticks in international clout and domestic "prosperity". China is a ticking time bomb, and basically Japan on steroids. Sometime in the decade after next people will realize that this is just a short term trend for China.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »

I really don't see why everybody thinks China and India will do so well. Most of India is still an uneducated, third-world country. China is growing too rapidly to be sustainable, and the one child policy will stifle growth as well. Communism cannot sustain growth like that.

Well, I've actually thought it has down quite well, actually, so far. But the growth is invisible, despite upticks in international clout and domestic "prosperity". China is a ticking time bomb, and basically Japan on steroids. Sometime in the decade after next people will realize that this is just a short term trend for China.

Indeed.

I think India has potential, but there's such a disparity between the urban and rural areas in terms of standard of living.

India is on more of a "fault line" amd could potentially be a world player. China, however, will either fragment as it has done in the past, or sacrifice economic growth for some sort of neo-Maoism. I'm inclined to think the former, and the former would benefit Westerners and coastal Chinese cities. I mean, really, a top buisnessman in Shanghai has numerous dealings, of course, but what gives him the most profits? The ones in New York, London, and Tokyo. He has far more to gain by foriegn relationships then domestic ones in Beijing or inland.

As for India, its position is strategic, but it has considerable hurdles that it needs to overcome. Poverty and conflict with Pakistan to name two. But you surely know that already. Wink

I want to study International Affairs in College, and if you can tell, I am considerably more interested by external affairs then internal ones.

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2010, 02:52:50 AM by N!K »

Indeed.

I think India has potential, but there's such a disparity between the urban and rural areas in terms of standard of living.

India is on more of a "fault line" amd could potentially be a world player. China, however, will either fragment as it has done in the past, or sacrifice economic growth for some sort of neo-Maoism. I'm inclined to think the former, and the former would benefit Westerners and coastal Chinese cities. I mean, really, a top buisnessman in Shanghai has numerous dealings, of course, but what gives him the most profits? The ones in New York, London, and Tokyo. He has far more to gain by foriegn relationships then domestic ones in Beijing or inland.

As for India, its position is strategic, but it has considerable hurdles that it needs to overcome. Poverty and conflict with Pakistan to name two. But you surely know that already. Wink

I want to study International Affairs in College, and if you can tell, I am considerably more interested by external affairs then internal ones.

Which makes your position as SOIA in fantasy land ironic Tongue

Hahaha, yeah, it kind of is. I am interested in domestic affairs too, just not as much. I do understand all of the issues and I know how to explain them, though, especially immigration and social policy. Cheesy
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:57:24 AM »

Bump for the newer posters. Anyone want to take a crack at making a prediction or two?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »

With all the doom and gloom going around, I think that this deserves a bump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies