JFK Lives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  JFK Lives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Author Topic: JFK Lives  (Read 160272 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »

Rocky will not run in 1976.
Historico
United States

« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2009, 03:25:19 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2009, 03:29:17 PM by Historico »

Aww, man...I was really pulling for him too...Shucks, now Im going to throw my support behind another moderate...Massachusetts Senator Edward Brooke. Btw, Deeds If you wan't to talk about some of the things that are causing writer's block with the TL feel free to hit me up via pm or in this thread. I find that healthy discussion on issues when writing an indepth Timeline really help solve the curse of writer's block, and may be helpful in your case. That way you don't exhaust you mind in trying to come up with scenario's lol.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2009, 10:03:32 PM »

The Democratic Nomination

Following his announcement that he intended to seek reelection, President Hearnes was able to focus on his Vice President.  His major desires in the pick are to have someone with foreign policy experience, appeal to as many parts of the base as possible, and be young enough to succeed him in 8 years.  His short list comprises Senators Daniel Inouye of Hawaii, Sam Nunn of Georgia, Frank Church of Idaho, and Robert Byrd of West Virginia.  It also includes Congressman Les Aspin of Wisconsin and Ray Roberts of Texas.

As the Convention gathers in Chicago, Hearnes has narrowed the list down to Inouye, Aspin, and Church.  Hearnes initially decides to select Inouye, but, when asked, Inouye turns him down, preferring to stay in the Senate.  Following that, Hearnes decides to select Church, and Church accepts.

At the Convention, a long tribute is paid to President Humphrey, with an especially poignant tribute being delivered by Vice Presidential nominee Church.  Following the Convention, Hearnes appears to have a large, insurmountable lead.

The Republican Nomination

With President Humphrey’s death, multiple top level challengers decided not to seek the nomination.  Former Vice President and Governor Nixon, Governor Rockefeller of New York, and Senator Baker all decide not to run.

Eventually, three candidates emerge: Governor Ronald Reagan of California, Governor Tom McCall of Oregon, and Senator Edward Brooke of Massachusetts.

From the outset, Brooke attracts a large amount of media attention, as the first African-American to seriously contest the Presidency.  Early polls show Brooke in the lead, although a large number of voters, especially in the South, are undecided.

The first primary, in Iowa, is a close race, with Brooke pulling out a narrow victory, to the shock of everyone, becoming the first African-American to win a Presidential primary.  Following Iowa is New Hampshire, which also goes to Brooke.  Following New Hampshire, though, things take a decided turn towards Governor Reagan.  Reagan wins a string on primaries in Maryland, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Colorado, and California, with only one other candidate winning a primary, as McCall takes Oregon.

By the beginning of April, Brooke is the only other candidate remaining, and with primaries in Alaska, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Washington, he needs to win at least three to stay in the race.  However, he wins only Connecticut and Massachusetts, and pulls out of the race, giving Reagan the nomination.

At the RNC in Philadelphia, Reagan chooses a theme of unity.  All of his contenders are given major speaking slots, and as his running mate, he chooses Brooke supporter and retiring Congressman Gerald R. Ford as his running mate.  During the Convention, Reagan promises to “Make American right again,” which draws cheers from the crowd.

Reagan and Ford shaking hands after Ford is announced as the Vice Presidential Nominee.

The General Election

As the campaign gets underway, Hearnes has the clear advantage.  His approval ratings stand in the high 60’s to low 70’s, and Reagan is unable to make a dent in the polls, trailing Hearnes 56-35 on October 1.

During the second debate, Reagan commits a serious blunder.  When asked about the USSR, Reagan declares that, “There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe, and there never will be.”  The remark loses him support amongst anti-Communist groups, many of whom flock to Hearnes, given his previous record on the issue.

By election day, the polls are showing Reagan losing in a landslide, and the results are little better, as Reagan suffers one of the biggest losses in US history.

Warren Hearnes/Frank Church: 58.9% PV, 478 EV
Ronald Reagan/Gerald Ford: 38.9% PV, 60 EV
Others: 2.2% PV, 0 EV

The Congressional Elections

Hearnes’ landslide brings even more Democrats into Congress, giving them one of their largest majorities in history.

Senate Results

Democrats: 76 (+4)
Republicans: 24 (-4)

House Results
Democrats: 335 (+15)
Republicans: 100 (-15)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »

Reagan loses.....

*NiK starts to cry*

JK. Great update.

Can we see a slice of Japan in the next update, What is their current economic growth levels?
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »

Keep up the good work!
Historico
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2009, 03:15:07 AM »

Wow, I was expecting the next installment so soon, and it did not disappoint. Nice to see Brooke coming so close to clinching the nomination. Hmm, it is sad to see Ronnie go the way off Goldwater/Mcgovern ITTL, but It will give the moderates a good shot of winning the election in 1980, if things go as half as bad as they did in otl. Im suprised though that President Hearnes wouldn't an African American as a running mate to sow up the base after Brooke ran so well. If he was looking for someone with foreign policy experience, Hearnes could go after 4 star General Daniel "Chappie" James Jr.  If not Chappie then Andrew Young, Barbara Jordan, Shrley Chisholm and others are all good choices. Can't wait to see how the next four years turn out...Keep it comming
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »

Garrison, you know full well why I have that picture.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »

Like your previous timeline, this has jumped the shark once more.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »

Damn it; what happened this time?
Historico
United States

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »

I don't understand why you say this timeline has "jumped the shark" It's one of the detailed and interesting timelines on the board. Just because ben likes to focus on American Legislation rather than foriegn affairs, is just a preference of writing style. I find that adding to much detail of foriegn policy rather than domestic can slow the timelines progress down somewhat. So you just have to appreciate the feat ben is trying to tackle here, and if you don't like it...change the channel
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »

Ben,

I really like this timeline and President Hearnes. In my education classes in college I have done a lot of research into how Governor Hearnes modernized the education system in Missouri, which went from in the bottom ten to the top ten durring his eight years as governor. 

Where did you get the idea of making Warren Hearnes the President? It was a fine stroke of writing. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »

Ben,

I really like this timeline and President Hearnes. In my education classes in college I have done a lot of research into how Governor Hearnes modernized the education system in Missouri, which went from in the bottom ten to the top ten durring his eight years as governor. 

Where did you get the idea of making Warren Hearnes the President? It was a fine stroke of writing. Smiley

Thank you very much Smiley  I'm glad that Hearnes was a good Governor; I couldn't find much information about him.

I wanted Humphrey to select a Southerner with experience, so it ended up as a tie between Governor Hearnes and Senator LeRoy Collins of Florida, who had previously served as Governor.  Since I intended for Humphrey to die, I wanted someone young enough to replace Humphrey as President, and so Hearnes won on the basis that he was several years younger than Collins.  Thanks again for the compliment Smiley
defe07

« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »

Gee, sympathy votes really go a long way I guess!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »

Who won the snap Presidential election called in France after de Gaulle's death in 1974?

Poher did.

No chance in hell. Poher had little name recognition, a large part of his own party didn't even support him, and there'd obviously be much stronger candidates in the race, like Giscard or Chaban-Delmas or Mitterrand or whoever.
Historico
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2009, 10:11:52 AM »

Ok Ben, son when should we see the next installment...Will a nother Southern Governor fail at resolving the Iranian Hostage Crisis...I eagerly wait to find out.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »

The next update will come tonight.  Thanks for your patience.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »

Yes, I am to looking forward to this.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2009, 11:17:33 PM »

When Will We See another Update Ben? I'm intrested to see how Hearnes handles the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Will He Send the Troops in? Will He Not Send the Troops In? Will there be a revolution at all? I am dying to know!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

The Second Term of Warren Hearnes

“My fellow Americans, as we enter our third century as a nation, we have a lot of work to do.  We must improve our country, so that we will always be great!”  Thus begins President Hearnes’ second term in office.  As outlined to Congress, Hearnes’ program would include various domestic improvement programs, as well as job creation programs.

The first such program was the Community Reinvestment Act.  Written by Senator Kennedy, the CRA was designed to encourage commercial banks and savings associations to meet the needs of borrowers in all segments of their communities, including low- and moderate-income neighborhoods.  This would be done by requiring the appropriate federal financial supervisory agencies to encourage regulated financial institutions to meet the credit needs of the local communities in which they are chartered, consistent with safe and sound operation.  Despite claims from some Senators that the bill would have an adverse effect by giving out unsound loans, the CRA passes without difficulty, and is signed by the President on February 27.

The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978, written by Senator Robert C. Byrd (D-WV), would abolish the U.S. Civil Service Commission and distributes its functions primarily among three agencies created by the Bill.  As explained by Senator Byrd, “This act is an effort to replace incompetent officials.”  Backed by a strange coalition of earnest reformers and limited government conservatives, the CSR passes the Senate on March 22, 62-37, and passes the House, 229-201, on April 4, being signed by the President the next day.

In a nationally televised speech on April 17, President Hearnes announces that unemployment stands at a remarkable low of 4.6%, that per-person wages have grown each of the last 7 years, and that the country is looking at a likely surplus and balanced budget by 1980.  Following the speech, Hearnes’ approval rating stands at a remarkable 73%.

Three days after the speech, Hearnes, along with Commerce Secretary Fox, Trade Representative Robert S. Strauss, and Secretary of the Treasury Fowler, flies to Canada to meet with Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and Mexican President José López Portillo about a possible free trade agreement between Mexico, the US and Canada.  The agreement, called the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), is signed on May 2, 1977.  The agreement would be finalized after ratification by the three nation’s legislatures.

When Hearnes brings NAFTA to the Senate, it is stalled by Senator Ralph Yarborough (D-TX), Chairman of the Senate Labor Committee.  Yarborough, an opponent of free trade, works with Majority Leader Byrd, another opponent of free trade, to keep NAFTA from being brought to the floor.  Yarborough and Byrd promise Hearnes that NAFTA will receive a vote by the summer of 1978.

On June 28, 1977, Justice Arthur Goldberg retires from the Court.  To replace him, President Hearnes nominates Senator Birch Bayh to replace him.  Bayh is confirmed quickly, without controversy.

Starting July 9, Hearnes begins his first international tour since his reelection.  He starts out in Africa, where he meets with numerous leaders, including Egyptian President Anwar El Sadat.  While in Cairo, Hearnes calls for talks between Israel and Egypt, offering to host a meeting in America.  Sadat promises to consider the offer.

After Egypt, Hearnes goes to Israel, where Prime Minister Begin is equally receptive to the notion of meeting with Sadat.  Begin’s Cabinet, however, is less pleased about the idea, and Hearnes leaves Israel unsure if a meeting will ever take place.

Following Israel, Hearnes takes his requisite trip throughout Europe, attending an economic conference in Geneva from July 22-July 26.  In Spain, Hearnes calls for a transition to democracy following the death of Francisco Franco.  Once again, Hearnes gives a speech at the Berlin Wall, in which he calls for the USSR to ease restrictions of people traveling between the East and West.

After ending his European tour on August 2 with a visit to Portugal, Hearnes decides to visit Latin America.  While in Chile, Hearnes criticizes governments that, “Suspend the rights of the people in order to continue holding power,” a pointed criticism of Chilean President Pinochet.  Throughout his tour of Latin America, Hearnes calls for more communication between Latin America and the United States.

When President Hearnes returns to Washington on August 18, he renews calls for the Senate to pass NAFTA.  Senator Yarborough agrees to have it out of Committee by October 1, although Majority Leader Byrd says that it is unlikely NAFTA will see a vote before the new year.

In September, Congress passes the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (or ANILCA), which would create 15 National Park Service properties, and provide for the designation of 79.53 million acres of public lands, fully a third of which was set aside as wilderness area.  Strongly supported by the liberals in Congress, and conservationist groups throughout the country, President Hearnes signs the ANILCA into law on September 26.

On October 8, NAFTA is finally freed from the Senate Labor Committee.  However, much to Hearnes’ anger, NAFTA is then sent to the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Chaired by another opponent of NAFTA, Senator William Proxmire (D-WI).  Proxmire, however, promises to have NAFTA ready for a Senate vote by the beginning on 1978.

On October 28, 1977, Egyptian President Anwar El Sadat visits Israel, and speaks to the Knesset; in doing so, he implicitly recognizes Israel’s right to exist, something never done by any other Arab politician beforehand.  This decision, which was done after clandestine preparatory meetings between Egyptian and Israeli officials, was unknown even to the NATO countries.  Upon hearing of it, President Hearnes and Secretary of State Muskie begin preparation for a meeting in Washington, DC, between the two leaders.

In Sadat’s speech, he talked about his views on peace, the status of Israel’s occupied territories, and the Palestinian refugee problem.  The international response to his speech was not happy.  Hungarian leader Janos Kadar threatened war with Egypt if they signed a peace agreement with Israel, followed swiftly by Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, and Albania. Yugoslavia and East Germany also threatened to attack Egypt if they did not revoke their recognition of Israel. The Soviet Union, Poland, Finland, and Romania declined to threaten war, but they would enter Egypt should NATO armies intervene. Libya, Iraq, Syria, and other Arab nations called Egypt a traitor, and said they would support an Eastern invasion by any means possible, even by military action.

In a speech to the UN on November 7, US Ambassador to the UN  Robert C. Hill, announced that the United States would happily host a conference between the two nations in the United States.  For the next several months, though, nothing comes of the invitation.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:28 PM »

On December 8, Hearnes presents the Torrijos-Hearnes Treaties to the US Senate.  For two weeks, the Senate debates the treaty before recessing until 1978.  When it reconvenes on January 9, 1978, the Senate takes up the Treaty again.  Conservatives, led by Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC), and Strom Thurmond (R-SC) oppose the Treaty, arguing that it hurts US security interests.  Following a speech by the President on January 14 in favor of the Treaty, Senator Thurmond responds by saying, “The canal is ours, we bought and we paid for it and we should keep it.”

Despite the opposition of such conservatives, on February 9, the Senate ratifies the First Treaty, which provided that as from 12:00 on December 31, 1999, Panama would assume full control of canal operations and become primarily responsible for its defense.  The final vote on the Treaty was 62-30, with 8 Republicans, at least 5 of them conservatives, mot voting, led Senator Thurmond to declare that Hearnes had “Bribed my fellow conservatives to not vote, and let the Treaty pass,” ignoring the fact that 14 Democrats switched sides to vote against the Treaty.

On March 22, the Senate ratifies the Second Treaty, which said the U.S. retained the permanent right to defend the canal from any threat that might interfere with its continued neutral service to ships of all nations.  There is less controversy for the Second Treaty, and it passes 78-22, with 5 Republicans joining 73 Democrats to vote in the Treaty’s favor, and 3 Democrats joining 19 Republicans in opposition.

On April 4, the Senate finally begins debate on NAFTA.  For almost two months, the Senate debates the Agreement, with an odd coalition of conservatives like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond and liberals like Barbara Mikulski opposing NAFTA.  These Senators argue that the Agreement would have a negative impact on American workers, as cheaper labor could be found elsewhere.

Throughout the debate, the Hearnes Administration pressures Democratic Senators to stay for the Agreement.  On May 28, with both sides convinced that they have the votes, cloture is achieved on NAFTA, 69-31.  On June 2, the Senate votes, 54-46, to pass NAFTA.  33 Democrats, joined by 21 Republicans, vote to pass the Agreement, while 43 Democrats and 3 Republicans vote against it.

In the House, the opposition is fragmented, and with NAFTA having the support of the Democratic leadership, there is never any doubt that NAFTA will pass.  On June 20, by a vote of 232-203, NAFTA passes, and is signed by the President.

On June 27, Justice William H. Hastie dies of a heart attack while in his Chambers.  To replace him, Hearnes nominates Hugh H. Bownes of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit to replace him; Bownes is confirmed without controversy.

As 1978 continues, the economy begins to drag; a report issued in July of 1978 shows unemployment at 6.2%, the highest it had been since 1975.  Despite some warnings of an oncoming recession, President Hearnes says in a July 4 speech that, “The American economy is strong, and will continue to be strong.”

Despite the falling American economy, the international economy is strong.  Japan, Israel, France, West Germany, the United Kingdom, and other nations in Europe see record levels of economic growth, leading to landslide victories for the ruling parties in elections held in Japan and the United Kingdom.

The Congressional Elections

After four years of extremely high approval ratings, a USA Today survey on August 3, 1978 shows the President’s rating below 60% for the first time in his term, at 56%.  The President’s waning approval ratings lead to several Democratic retirements, creating multiple open seats and pickup opportunities for the GOP.  On election day, the President’s approvals are at 52%, and the Republicans make major gains.

Senate Results

Democrats: 68 (-8)
Republicans: 32 (+8)

House Results
Democrats: 274 (-61)
Republicans: 161 (+61)
Historico
United States

« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »

By the Gods an Update lol, I enjoyed very thorughly and suprised how Progressive Hearne's is handling the issues of the day especially on something like NAFTA. Yet as the economy goes, there goes the incumbent...I am looking forward to how Hearnes handels the Iran-Hostage Crisis, and I am pulling for Brooke to geting the GOP nomination....But as far as I know It could go either way(Brokering a Peace agreement between Egypt and Israel, would be one hell of an October Suprise)...Keep it comming
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2009, 05:14:48 PM »

NO NOT NAFTA!!!!!! I thought that would have died a horrible death without a pro-buisness southerner at the helm!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2009, 05:42:43 PM »

Is Hearnes eligible to run again? If he does, he has my support. If not, I will support a certain Robert Dole or a Gary Hart.

What's Gary Hart up to, anyway?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:58 PM »

President Hearnes is eligible to seek another term, since he served less than half of President Humphrey's term.

Gary Hart is currently a Senator from Colorado, as in RL.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:16 PM »

President Hearnes is eligible to seek another term, since he served less than half of President Humphrey's term.

Gary Hart is currently a Senator from Colorado, as in RL.

Excellent, Excellent.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies