Most annoying political misconception about your state to you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most annoying political misconception about your state to you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Most annoying political misconception about your state to you  (Read 5330 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 01:03:48 AM »

That there is such a thing as "real Virginia."

It's a stupid term but it basically just refers to the part of state that actually is a part of the South.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 01:07:02 AM »

There are no misconceptions.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:38 AM »

That Missouri, is by far, the most conservative state. (No it is not).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 01:28:51 AM »

Where do I start?  Probably the media portrayal that Mississippians are somehow less intelligent than the rest of Americans.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 04:52:25 AM »

Us in Alaska don't care about the environment.

Just because we want to develop the state's resources and don't want to evict everyone from their homes and turn the state into a national park, doesn't mean we don't care.

Hell, that's why Alaska wanted to become a state in the first place. Our resources were being plundered my lower 48 companies. And because we were only a territory, we had no recourse.

I agree.  I think you'll find a lot of conservationists in states like Alaska and Montana.

But when you're talking about billions of dollars in oil, that conservationist attitude wilts a little.  Also, I think that the less you know about what it means to drill in ANWR, the more you oppose it.  And Alaskans realize that very little is up there, and resent the fact that the federal government controls such a profitable, low-harm, economic venture and refuses to pass the ball.

BUT, I have a lot of negative political attitudes about your state from Stevens near reelection, among other things... Smiley

Yeah, that's how all of us feel. Drilling in ANWR won't cost us money, but it'll make money for us. Then, there are these people on the other side of the country, who have never even set foot in Alaska, they're telling us they know this state better than those who've lived their entire lives here.

Well, you don't like Stevens. You're not alone. Tongue But at least your opinions are formed because of what he has done, and not because of a maybe.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 05:21:25 AM »

Where do I start?  Probably the media portrayal that Mississippians are somehow less intelligent than the rest of Americans.

Not all Mississippians...not even most....but if you look at the average....I'm pretty sure that statement is true. Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 05:57:51 AM »

The view of white California liberals that California's progressiveness is filled with people like themselves rather than a Democratic coalition of minorities.  Thus all of the "surprise" that posting up fliers in Berkeley campus buildings against prop 8 or waving a sign in front of my precinct wasn't enough to defeat Prop 8...instead of, you know, talking to people who don't already agree with you.

The view of many that Republicans in CA are an anemic political force.  Outnumbered, yes, but they got lots of money and pragmatism.

This.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:39 AM »

The view of white California liberals that California's progressiveness is filled with people like themselves rather than a Democratic coalition of minorities.  Thus all of the "surprise" that posting up fliers in Berkeley campus buildings against prop 8 or waving a sign in front of my precinct wasn't enough to defeat Prop 8...instead of, you know, talking to people who don't already agree with you.

The view of many that Republicans in CA are an anemic political force.  Outnumbered, yes, but they got lots of money and pragmatism.

Basically this, though I would argue that it's not only the white California liberals who feel this way, but the entire country.

California isn't a huge progressive paradise that has always and will always vote straight ticket Democrat. It's not a socially liberal wonderland comparable to Manhattan.

I know I don't need to tell you guys that, but it does seem to be John Q's view...

Prop 8's passage has done some to dispel this noition.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 06:26:46 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2008, 06:28:51 AM by Senator PiT »

Basically this, though I would argue that it's not only the white California liberals who feel this way, but the entire country.

California isn't a huge progressive paradise that has always and will always vote straight ticket Democrat. It's not a socially liberal wonderland comparable to Manhattan.

I know I don't need to tell you guys that, but it does seem to be John Q's view...

I'm almost glad that prop 8 passed for that reason. The facts have always contradicted any notion of the state at-large being socially liberal, though. We can't even legalize pot here, FFS.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 06:33:11 AM »

I'm almost glad that prop 8 passed for that reason.

Of course you are, because you're trendy, a political scene-whore turning tricks for your Religious Right pimps (just like most 'libertarians', incidentally), and you don't have a real libertarian bone in your body.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 07:56:25 AM »

I suppose it's not political but I just saw this trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldW9TWlw4N4

OMG I really hope no one thinks this is anywhere near accurate.
Well, it is cold in Minnesota.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 08:52:46 AM »

That we're New South Wales without swing seats.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »

That we have no conservative voters (as opposed to Conservative voters)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »

Well, that it is a part of the South. 

That is really the only widely held misconception I know of about Missouri.  Of course it does have some Southern characteristics, and some historical connection to the South, but it is far, far more 'Midwestern' than it is Southern.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »

That Jesse Helms' views are representative of N.C.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

I can't really think of any for TN, but I'm really annoyed by the suburbanites who think that Memhis is sooooo dangerous that if you leave your house ever, you'll be immediately mugged, raped, and shot.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »

Of course you are, because you're trendy, a political scene-whore turning tricks for your Religious Right pimps (just like most 'libertarians', incidentally), and you don't have a real libertarian bone in your body.

You don't know much about PiT then. LOL
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2008, 12:12:02 PM »

That NY is all NYC.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »

That Mark Warner is a god. I mean I like him....but c'mon.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »

Yes. Basically the only accurate thing in the movie.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 06:35:22 PM »

Yes. Basically the only accurate thing in the movie.

I thought it was very accurate of a rather small slice of Minnesota.  There are people who talk like that... it does get cold.. and people new to the state have trouble driving on frozen lakes.

There are towns in southern Minnesota based around food manufacturing...

It's a romantic comedy.  Of course it's not 100% accurate... we shouldn't treat it as if it attempted to be.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »

That candidates like Giuliani would be able to win NY in a national election.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »

That with a good candidate Republicans can't win

We haven't had a good candidate with a solid position, solid backing, solid money, and good name recognition since 1997 when we won.

Chris Christie can do it
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 07:53:23 PM »

That everyone from Alabama is a racist and a member of the Klan.

I experienced more hatred and bigotry from people up North
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »

While I disagree with PiT's statement, he commented that he is almost glad Prop 8 passed, merely because it helps to refute what he and I see as a false perception of the socio-political makeup of our state. This harsh indictment of both his politics and the entire libertarian movement is not only acerbic, but unfounded and incorrect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies