Most annoying political misconception about your state to you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:21:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most annoying political misconception about your state to you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Most annoying political misconception about your state to you  (Read 5328 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »

That everyone from Alabama is a racist and a member of the Klan.

I experienced more hatred and bigotry from people up North
Same here.  It's disappointing that just about every time I leave the South, people look down on me once they discover where I'm from.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 02:41:49 AM »

That Ohio is so racist that we'd never ever vote for a black man.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 02:46:33 AM »

Not much of a misconception when you're state voted to keep segregationist wording in your state constitution just four years ago.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »

Not much of a misconception when you're state voted to keep segregationist wording in your state constitution just four years ago.

I wasn't in Alabama in 2004; what "segregationist wording" was kept in the State Constitution?
Also, did it pass 100%? Very unlikely.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 02:47:22 PM »

I wasn't in Alabama in 2004; what "segregationist wording" was kept in the State Constitution?
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=1&year=2004&f=0&off=51&elect=0
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=1&year=2004&f=0&off=51&elect=0

It was decided by less than 2,000 votes and also dealt with three subjects. I'm curious if some of the people that voted "no" only did so because of parts instead of the whole & vice versa
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »

It was decided by less than 2,000 votes and also dealt with three subjects. I'm curious if some of the people that voted "no" only did so because of parts instead of the whole & vice versa
Yes, I read that it was mostly defeated because it removed an amendment, stating that there was no constitutional right of education.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »

That no one stands a chance against a conservative Democrat. You know who wins in Pennsylvania? Whoever the people thinks is best. There's no such thing as party loyalty here--not for Dems, not for Reps, not for anyone. Best one wins, and thats it.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »

That no one stands a chance against a conservative Democrat. You know who wins in Pennsylvania? Whoever the people thinks is best. There's no such thing as party loyalty here--not for Dems, not for Reps, not for anyone. Best one wins, and thats it.
Was Santorum really the best in 2000?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »

He actually wasnt that big of a whackjob back then, he only jumped the shark later.  And I think his opponent was, truely, a DUD.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »

He actually wasnt that big of a whackjob back then, he only jumped the shark later.  And I think his opponent was, truely, a DUD.

Ron Klink was defintely a DUD.

Its just that 9/11 and Iraq and Bush were the perfect storm to turn people into whack jobs on the left and right.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 04:44:51 PM by This Fickle Nature Grows Like A Disease »

So the fact that an anti segregationist wording ballot proposal passed by just a little bit it means that you're state isn't racist? I have a hard time believing that not even considering the fact that McCain somehow hit 60% there on the 4th. Something tells me it wasn't because of reasonable conservatism.

That ballot proposal shouldn't have even been challenged.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »

So the fact that an anti segregationist wording ballot proposal passed by just a little bit it means that you're state isn't racist? I have a hard time believing that not even considering the fact that McCain somehow hit 60% there on the 4th. Something tells me it wasn't because of reasonable conservatism.

This is exactly what I'm talking about and exactly why I stopped posting here over the summer
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »

This is exactly what I'm talking about and exactly why I stopped posting here over the summer

I know, it's annoying. Back when I was a Republican, I always had to be afraid of voicing liberal positions since nutjobs would be like OMG SAN FRANSICKO LIBERAL!11 It really pissed me off after a while.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »

I'm sorry that I'm not PC and don't fit into the "like dude don't bash a state, that's like so uncool" crowd, but it's the truth. Acting like the South, and Alabama in particular, isn't disproportionately racist is completely dishonest, and I'm not going to tiptoe around the topic to make you feel better.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »

To be fair, I think you can apply that stereotype to alot of the old CSA south of Carolina... with the possible exception of Florida.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »

I'm sorry that I'm not PC and don't fit into the "like dude don't bash a state, that's like so uncool" crowd, but it's the truth. Acting like the South, and Alabama in particular, isn't disproportionately racist is completely dishonest, and I'm not going to tiptoe around the topic to make you feel better.

You're flogging a dead horse. Everyone knows the history. It's ingrained in American popular culture to look down on the South.

The only "PC" statements I see here are your own. A knee-jerk attitude to attack whatever is perceived as racist (replace with x-ism or x-ist). That's political correctness 101.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »

Well, what I meant was the people don't look at party ID, just views.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 08:26:41 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 08:29:59 PM by Southern Patriot »

I never said there were no racist people in Alabama; I said the perception is that EVERYONE in Alabama is racist. Which is absolutely NOT TRUE.
I don't care if you're "PC" or not; I really don't give a rats-ass; but don't turn my statement that "not everyone in Alabama is racist" around and claim that I said there are no racist people in Alabama. There are racist people in every State and every Country in the World. There is also a strong resentment from "northerners" against people from the South. You may not believe it, but it's true. During the 6 1/2 years I lived in Pennsylvania I was constantly being accused of being a racist and being in the Klan; I was even denied a couple of jobs because I wasn't born and raised in PA.

PS
I can only speculate why anyone voted for either McCain OR Obama. I cast my ballot for Charles Jay. I supported Ron Paul in the primaries and even after the Rally For The Republic when he asked people to find a "minor party" candidate to support.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 08:43:18 PM »

Well I'll say this, I do think it's unfair that you were called a racist and I don't believe you are one. I think people need to make the distinction between attacking the region and attacking someone personally. People talk about Ohio being racist and backwards all the time but I don't take that personally/
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »

I think people need to make the distinction between attacking the region and attacking someone personally.

That would be a wonderful thing; but most people aren't willing to do that. They associate "person" with "region" and suddenly "regionally stereotype"=person is x

It happened just recently after the events of Sept 11, 2001: 19 people from Middle East did...
therefore everyone from Middle East is terrorist

It is groupism at it's worst.

I love the motto of Key West “All people are equal members of our ONE HUMAN FAMILY.”

Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »

I'm almost glad that prop 8 passed for that reason. The facts have always contradicted any notion of the state at-large being socially liberal, though. We can't even legalize pot here, FFS.
there are a lot of marches around where I live against prop 8.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »

I'm almost glad that prop 8 passed for that reason. The facts have always contradicted any notion of the state at-large being socially liberal, though. We can't even legalize pot here, FFS.
there are a lot of marches around where I live against prop 8.

San Francisco != rest of California. I saw the marches too. I just so happened to be on a bus once that got stuck behind protestors.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies