Almost 10% of Floridians are on food stamps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:19:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Almost 10% of Floridians are on food stamps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Almost 10% of Floridians are on food stamps  (Read 2523 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 07:15:47 PM »

As I have mentioned several times, my grandmother is on food stamps (and has been for years). I help her with her shoppping each week, so I'm fairly familiar with the program.  It is true that you are not allowed to buy alcohol, tobacoco, hot food, and non edible household supplies (toothpaste, paper towels.....) They can be used to buy junk foood (chips, snack cakes, soda....) however. While you may need to reverify eligibility to maintain enrollment, there is no maximum enrollment period.

But in practice there is, because single people are only eligible for 3 months in any something-year period (I forget the exact number of years, maybe its 3 or 10).  Obviously, old people such as  your grand mother, or people who can prove some other sort of incapacitation can get them longer, but 'able bodied' adults cannot get them regardless of economically imposed unemployment, for more than the 3 months.

It's your claim. Burden of proof is on you. You were able to find the language barring alcohol and tobacco fairly easily.
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »

It's your claim. Burden of proof is on you. You were able to find the language barring alcohol and tobacco fairly easily.

Yeah, the claim was just a reporting of personal experience.  I can't find anything about that online.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies