Clinton vs. Powell '96
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:20:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clinton vs. Powell '96
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton vs. Powell '96  (Read 1501 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »

While looking through the threads, I'm surprised that I didn't find this one.  Powell decides to run in '96 and picks Kemp as his running mate.  How do they fare against Clinton-Gore in '96?  Perot can stay in the race as run.   Maps, please.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:33:55 PM »

Come on, folks, this is an interesting one.  To provoke you, I'll put up what I think could be best case scenarios for both Clinton and Powell and stipulate that the results would fall somewhere in between. 

Best Clinton Scenario:
Clinton, on the heels of successful showdowns with Republicans in 1995 and a moderate
but consistent uptick in job growth and the economy, along with a successful confrontation
with the Chinese in the Taiwan Straight, runs a strong campaign.  Powerll challenges him
in all the major states in a heated series of debates in which both candidates impress the electorate.  On election day, with record voter turnout, Clinton, with slightly better organization, barely edges out Powell in most of the key swing states, though he surrenders
some territory to Powell in the Appalachian and Western regions.  His popular vote margin is far more slim than the electoral vote result:

Clinton/Gore     348
Powell/Kemp    190

Best Powell Scenario:
Powell strikes a compelling contrast to Clinton, with his years of military experience and personal integrity.  In the general election, he criticizes Clinton's foriegn policy and military decisions based on his brief stint as Clinton's incoming Joint Chiefs Chairman.  African-American voters are torn between their favor of Clinton's policies and the prospect of electing Powell, and their vote is consequently split down the middle.  On election day, Powell edges out Clinton in Florida and Ohio and, dramatically, scores a razor-thin victory in Pennsylvania, eeking out a slim win in both the popular vote and electoral college and making history.

Powell/Kemp     282
Clinton/Gore     256

Any takers?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »

Just to get you thinking, the important swing states in this election appear to be Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, Tennessee, Colorado and Iowa.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:07:30 AM »

It would probably look fairly similar to the 1976 map. I have a hard time seeing Powell being competitive in the South.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:12:29 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2009, 03:20:23 AM by Daniel Z »

Powell may have been able to pick off a state on the west coast. My guess is the map would look like this:

Clinton: 369
Powell: 169
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:38:22 AM »

A black, pro-choice candidate against a white pro-choice candidate? Southern white turnout would plummet +20%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies