Do you know of any moderators that are abusing their power?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:11:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you know of any moderators that are abusing their power?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Do you know of any moderators that are abusing their power?  (Read 7163 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 03:25:38 AM »
« edited: January 04, 2009, 03:29:02 AM by Lunar »

I'm pretty sure that moderators insult people more than average posters (Sam, Al, etc).  That's how I like it and how it should be (and I've just chosen the two moderators that have insulted me the most, but maybe I'm a masochist).  It's not a moderator's job to be nice
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 04:47:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure that moderators insult people more than average posters (Sam, Al, etc).  That's how I like it and how it should be (and I've just chosen the two moderators that have insulted me the most, but maybe I'm a masochist).  It's not a moderator's job to be nice

I will say that Sam has gone over the top at times, but I regard him as one of our best mods.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 04:51:53 AM »

What makes one mod better or worse than any other? None of them really do anything special. Dave has all of the power. He is the sovereign.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 04:58:09 AM »

I will say that Sam has gone over the top at times, but I regard him as one of our best mods.

Due to the level of political silliness posted on this forum, anyone who is politically informed should respond harshly at least every now and then.

I don't think the moderators' job  to hang up their balls when they accepted their responsibility
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 05:01:01 AM »

Due to the level of political silliness posted on this forum, anyone who is politically informed should respond harshly at least every now and then.

I don't think the moderators' job  to hang up their balls when they accepted their responsibility

But Sam calling people "fags" is over the top.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »

I've pulled him up on that, because while I'm pretty thick skinned it's one of those words I do take offence to.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »

Not really at the moment, though Dave has at times. He warned me just for calling Jorg Haider a fascist and put me on mod review just for posting a clip from a movie.

And yet he doesn't ban the most evil of trolls.

Abusing? They haven't done anything to even show they have powers. I do agree that they play favorites since some members are personally attacked by some. Who has heard of a forum that it's moderators attack other forum members?

One of the moderators insulted me on this very forum.

So sad. Boo-hoo-hoo.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »

According to one of Gustaf's old posts, back when I wanted to be a mod, the mods didn't want me to become one because of lingering bad blood over what happened in Fantasy long ago.  So yeah, I'd say they play favorites.
That said, I don't think they've ever done anything especially bad to me personally, so I don't really care.

Lol...Harry, harry, harry...you always took that stuff a bit too seriously, didn't you?

Brings back memories of the good old days though.

Anyway. I would keep in mind that the moderator community comprises a fairly large number of people with very different views on most things, with different backgrounds and from different countries. We even have different moderating policies (I think). Yet, when we discuss specific trolls, etc, we almost always agree, at least to a large extent, on what should be done. I think that says something about a) the trolls in question and b) the sensibility of most moderators. It may also say something about my own greatness for being a part of that but I was never one to blow my own horn.

And as regards our vigilante actions...I blame that on The Dark Knight. It's the cool thing now.

But seriously, it's more a matter of speeding up the process. It wasn't AS vigilante as it may have seemed.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »

I've pulled him up on that, because while I'm pretty thick skinned it's one of those words I do take offence to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was definitely OTT for a mod considering that it is generally only an acceptable term within some elements of the LGBT community  as a means of taking a hurtful offensive word and turning it into a term of empowerment. Other than that, I consider the term highly offensive with occasional exceptions....
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »

According to one of Gustaf's old posts, back when I wanted to be a mod, the mods didn't want me to become one because of lingering bad blood over what happened in Fantasy long ago.  So yeah, I'd say they play favorites.
That said, I don't think they've ever done anything especially bad to me personally, so I don't really care.

FEC! FEC! FEC!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »

Abusing? They haven't done anything to even show they have powers. I do agree that they play favorites since some members are personally attacked by some. Who has heard of a forum that it's moderators attack other forum members?

One of the moderators insulted me on this very forum.

Let me point out an important distinction with regards to myself and then you can use it compare to other moderators.  

There is only forum I moderate - Congressional Elections.  At all other forums, I am a regular poster.  

There is no section on the code of conduct that prevents moderators from insulting other posters or pointing out your stupid errors on those forums which I do not moderate.  Similarly, you are not prevented from doing likewise to me.  That is what makes this a "posting forum".  Sure, there may be something that says that moderators should hold themselves with dignity and respect when posting, but that is a rather vague and amorphous standard, hard to apply and determine.  And there are rules about how far we can go on some our posts.  I get deleted by the fascist too.

On the forum that I moderate, the same rules apply, but I have one extra limitation.  I cannot simply delete your post because I don't like it or because I find it stupid.  I can delete it if I believe it is trollish, rude, unacceptable according to the code of conduct, inflammatory, etc.

Similarly, I cannot go the moderator's board and complain to get your posts deleted or you banned simply because I don't like what you're saying or you personally.  But I can post that you need to be banned if you are trollish, rude, unacceptable according to the code of conduct, inflammatory, etc.

Now, apply these rules to the other moderators and see if you're being "wronged".  Probably not.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was definitely OTT for a mod considering that it is generally only an acceptable term within some elements of the LGBT community  as a means of taking a hurtful offensive word and turning it into a term of empowerment. Other than that, I consider the term highly offensive with occasional exceptions....

Cry me a river.  I'm not going to play the usual PC garbage game.  Nor am I interested into being brainwashed or coddled into thinking certain words are suddenly good and proper and others are suddenly bad and offensive - you can do that with our kids, who severely lack the ability to think on their own nowadays anyway - rather, to me every word has its place and its proper use.  And I am certainly not interested in someone else's "empowerment" or whatever makes them feel good/improves their "self-esteem" about who they are or whatever they think they are (yawn).

First off, there are a lot more things more offensive on the Internet than use of the word "fag", "n", "kike" (one of the Hawkeye/PBrunsel favs), "spic" or "Philadelphia native".  If you want an example: hacking someone else's account for fun.  And not only is that offensive, it's criminal.

But even if it these words are offensive, so what?  As I said before, this is an Internet forum, which matters about zippo (i.e. none) in the real world, until and unless the Feds start violating our 1st amendment rights OR until some employer with too much time on their hands uses something we say or do to fire us or screw us in a job interview.  The latter, btw, only happens among people stupid enough to post things under their own name or post from work - maybe those people deserve to be fired anyway for being idiots.   Rather, the Internet is a place where we can pretend to have cancer, pretend to share our problems with people who pretend to care or pretend to be rulers of a country and fight with other pretend rulers.

Moreover, when we do get into the "real world", the only way you can avoid this "offensive" language is to move someplace where you only live with people who think like you and act like you.  And then, you're missing a good part of what this world is really about (i.e. interaction with others who think and act differently than you do - kind of like now between me and you, except in person).  And besides, in the end, most likely, the person who you think acts like you and thinks like you is probably still muttering "fag" underneath his breath.  And so it goes...

[/rant]

You know, I'm really quite a calm, rational, reasoned, nice, sweetheart type of a person in real life.  Wink

I think afleitch knows this, even though he does get on my case for some of the things that I say.  But in the end, I'll keep using the word "fag" on this forum whenever I feel it is appropriate, or maybe sometimes when I feel like annoying someone.  And I'm sure that I'll keep getting deleted.  Obviously, IRL, considering where I live, my use of the word "fag" is considerably curtailed, but so is your use of the phrase "Bush is intelligent" should you ever care to use it (and you may not, understandably Wink )

I believe I'm done.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:58 PM »

Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »

I realize what I have done to this forum. I have split the small-minded political buffs, the broad minded political-buffs, and everyone else. The small-minded buffs call everyone else trolls, even those who try to move up as buffs. The sad thing is that there are Republicans and Democrats on both sides. The party lines should be split between the small minded morons and the broad minded people, not between left and right here. The problem with some people is that their political tendencies (i.e. posterizing people for their beliefs and actions) have carried into their conversation, becoming overly competitive and insulting. There are reasons why people come here, but all of them have one common goal, to get attention. It is just that the small-minded people do it by showing their dominance, like many of the mods do, where the broad minded people try to see both sides. Apparently, I have seen only a handful of broadminded people, scores of small minded people, and the occasional "everyone else," or scapegoat (which would be the correct term.  If I am your scapegoat, hang me.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 09:53:13 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cry me a river.  I'm not going to play the usual PC garbage game.  Nor am I interested into being brainwashed or coddled into thinking certain words are suddenly good and proper and others are suddenly bad and offensive - you can do that with our kids, who severely lack the ability to think on their own nowadays anyway - rather, to me every word has its place and its proper use.  And I am certainly not interested in someone else's "empowerment" or whatever makes them feel good/improves their "self-esteem" about who they are or whatever they think they are (yawn).

First off, there are a lot more things more offensive on the Internet than use of the word "fag", "n", "kike" (one of the Hawkeye/PBrunsel favs), "spic" or "Philadelphia native".  If you want an example: hacking someone else's account for fun.  And not only is that offensive, it's criminal.

But even if it these words are offensive, so what?  As I said before, this is an Internet forum, which matters about zippo (i.e. none) in the real world, until and unless the Feds start violating our 1st amendment rights OR until some employer with too much time on their hands uses something we say or do to fire us or screw us in a job interview.  The latter, btw, only happens among people stupid enough to post things under their own name or post from work - maybe those people deserve to be fired anyway for being idiots.   Rather, the Internet is a place where we can pretend to have cancer, pretend to share our problems with people who pretend to care or pretend to be rulers of a country and fight with other pretend rulers.

Moreover, when we do get into the "real world", the only way you can avoid this "offensive" language is to move someplace where you only live with people who think like you and act like you.  And then, you're missing a good part of what this world is really about (i.e. interaction with others who think and act differently than you do - kind of like now between me and you, except in person).  And besides, in the end, most likely, the person who you think acts like you and thinks like you is probably still muttering "fag" underneath his breath.  And so it goes...

[/rant]

You know, I'm really quite a calm, rational, reasoned, nice, sweetheart type of a person in real life.  Wink

I think afleitch knows this, even though he does get on my case for some of the things that I say.  But in the end, I'll keep using the word "fag" on this forum whenever I feel it is appropriate, or maybe sometimes when I feel like annoying someone.  And I'm sure that I'll keep getting deleted.  Obviously, IRL, considering where I live, my use of the word "fag" is considerably curtailed, but so is your use of the phrase "Bush is intelligent" should you ever care to use it (and you may not, understandably Wink )

I believe I'm done.

Damn Sam, that was certainly a bit of emoting there...

I simply noted that I considered the term offensive which had already been brought up by another poster, and I believe considering that I am part of the "hetero silent majority" on this forum that I remembered your actual post seemed out of line at the time which I vaguely recalled being personally directed at another poster in a disparaging light and agreed that this was conduct inappropriate for a mod.

Granted you were not the actual mod of the forum in which you posted that, and are of course entitled to all of the same freedom of speech rights that all others are on this forum, so it is not worth your overreacting in such a fashion.

I do think that is important to consider the words that one uses, because for example back when I was in High School in the '80s, kids that were considered "fags" would frequently get the sh*t beat out of them for no reason regardless of sexual orientation. I have followed your postings enough to know that you are a smart guy who would probably be pretty cool to chill with, but I don't think it's "pulling the PC card" to encourage a civil level of discussion w/o resorting to hurtful language.

BTW: Where I work people can get fired for using the word "fag", although most likely that would not happen until after being given a verbal and written warning. Many large employers consider that to be a serious violation of standards of business conduct agreements, and possibly even grounds for immediate termination if it is considered harassment. I have worked in the private sector for over ten years now as an adult, and trust me this is the "real world" and not the echo chamber that you mentioned in your rant about the PC universe.

That having been said, I like you Sam and was not trying to single you out as a bad mod, I just think it might help this forum if mods, even on boards that they don't maintain, try to exercise a little self-restraint at times to keep the N00bs in line and help prevent a troll invasion.... Wink
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »

I must say that it's kind of odd that my posts are getting deleted (yes, I know I'm about to be banned), considering I'm not a troll...

Even my relevant posts are getting deleted, so its not just you
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:24 AM »

It is me to.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 07:39:27 AM »

I realize what I have done to this forum. I have split the small-minded political buffs, the broad minded political-buffs, and everyone else. The small-minded buffs call everyone else trolls, even those who try to move up as buffs. The sad thing is that there are Republicans and Democrats on both sides. The party lines should be split between the small minded morons and the broad minded people, not between left and right here. The problem with some people is that their political tendencies (i.e. posterizing people for their beliefs and actions) have carried into their conversation, becoming overly competitive and insulting. There are reasons why people come here, but all of them have one common goal, to get attention. It is just that the small-minded people do it by showing their dominance, like many of the mods do, where the broad minded people try to see both sides. Apparently, I have seen only a handful of broadminded people, scores of small minded people, and the occasional "everyone else," or scapegoat (which would be the correct term.  If I am your scapegoat, hang me.

I don't normally talk to the trolls, but I think someone should inform you of your little bubble:

YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING TO THIS FORUM. WE HAVE SEEN CLONES OF YOU HUNDREDS OF TIMES AND YOU HAVE NO EFFECT ON ANYTHING.

Phew.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

Lol...Harry, harry, harry...you always took that stuff a bit too seriously, didn't you?

Anyway. I would keep in mind that the moderator community comprises a fairly large number of people with very different views on most things, with different backgrounds and from different countries. We even have different moderating policies (I think). Yet, when we discuss specific trolls, etc, we almost always agree, at least to a large extent, on what should be done. I think that says something about a) the trolls in question and b) the sensibility of most moderators. It may also say something about my own greatness for being a part of that but I was never one to blow my own horn.

And as regards our vigilante actions...I blame that on The Dark Knight. It's the cool thing now.

But seriously, it's more a matter of speeding up the process. It wasn't AS vigilante as it may have seemed.
Then let me be a mod.  It's what I've wanted for over four years.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »

Harry would be a worse mod than almost anyone I can think of besides Xahar/Ogis/DC_United.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »

This thread reminds me of sixth grade.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »

KillerPollo for mod.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

Harry would be a worse mod than almost anyone I can think of besides Xahar/Ogis/DC_United.
You really think I would be bad? huh.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »

Then let me be a mod.  It's what I've wanted for over four years.

Lol. Actually, you brought back more memories. See, that is exactly why we didn't want you as a mod.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »

honestly, if you've been angling for a modship for 4 years and you still don't have it just give up already
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies