Do you know of any moderators that are abusing their power?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:14:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you know of any moderators that are abusing their power?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Do you know of any moderators that are abusing their power?  (Read 7162 times)
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »

Based on this thread I find Sam Spade's attitude disappointing. That's all I have to say Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »

Harry would be a worse mod than almost anyone I can think of besides Xahar/Ogis/DC_United.
You really think I would be bad? huh.

Of course. You're about to be banned.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »

Nobody will be banned unless Leip actually decides to do something. We really don't know if that'll happen.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »

Based on this thread I find Sam Spade's attitude disappointing. That's all I have to say Smiley

I expected nothing different.  Wink
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 01:15:30 AM »

Harry would be a worse mod than almost anyone I can think of besides Xahar/Ogis/DC_United.
You really think I would be bad? huh.

Of course. You're about to be banned.
See I don't fit the definition of a troll. Flamers are trolls, so why am i going down?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2009, 02:07:53 AM »

I realize what I have done to this forum. I have split the small-minded political buffs, the broad minded political-buffs, and everyone else. The small-minded buffs call everyone else trolls, even those who try to move up as buffs. The sad thing is that there are Republicans and Democrats on both sides. The party lines should be split between the small minded morons and the broad minded people, not between left and right here. The problem with some people is that their political tendencies (i.e. posterizing people for their beliefs and actions) have carried into their conversation, becoming overly competitive and insulting. There are reasons why people come here, but all of them have one common goal, to get attention. It is just that the small-minded people do it by showing their dominance, like many of the mods do, where the broad minded people try to see both sides. Apparently, I have seen only a handful of broadminded people, scores of small minded people, and the occasional "everyone else," or scapegoat (which would be the correct term.  If I am your scapegoat, hang me.

I don't normally talk to the trolls, but I think someone should inform you of your little bubble:

YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING TO THIS FORUM. WE HAVE SEEN CLONES OF YOU HUNDREDS OF TIMES AND YOU HAVE NO EFFECT ON ANYTHING.

Phew.

Actually, I think he has done something to this forum - I think he's increased all of our self esteem.  Because it's pretty obvious that he must have a hell of a lot less friends than even the lonliest of the posters here.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2009, 04:33:48 AM »

Nobody will be banned unless Leip actually decides to do something. We really don't know if that'll happen.

Indeed. No matter how much the mods want a particular person to be banned, it's Dave's perogative.

Still, after tonight's events, he really pretty much has to ban Ogis. Of course, Ogis was by far the most irredeemable anyway.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:38 AM »

What'd Ogis do last night?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »

He created over 9000 threads in an effort to troll the forum. He succeeded at his mission, but failed at life. It was kind of humorous, though.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »

Lol
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 05:16:41 PM »

Is there any way I can be banned?  That would solve a lot of problems for me.  I really should be working.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »

Is there any way I can be banned?  That would solve a lot of problems for me.  I really should be working.

PM me your password and I can arrange it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »

PM me your password and I can arrange it.

OMG Hacker
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »

Many of the moderators are also playing favorites.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 02:23:13 AM »

I would hope not.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 02:47:55 AM »

Isn't a moderator's job to.. moderate? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure how a moderator can claim it's within his right to insult someone while at the same time reserving the right to delete what he views as inappropriate.

Just my 2 cents.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 03:36:18 AM »

Isn't a moderator's job to.. moderate? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure how a moderator can claim it's within his right to insult someone while at the same time reserving the right to delete what he views as inappropriate.

Just my 2 cents.
Mods can wear multiple hats.  There should be a clear way to tell when a mod is being a mod and when a mod is being a regular poster.  There are various ways to make it work.  Some Message Boards give user mods a second account that is mod only (and often secret).  Others make the mods declare in posts when they are doing their mod duties.  Most work the way it does here.  I don't think any of these are inherently better than the others.  It really depends on what kind of work load the mods have and how tightly the powers that be want the message board run.

There are several things at play here, but at the end of the day, this is Dave's home.  What he says goes, and if he isn't saying anything, what the mods say goes.  If you don't like it you can complain and/or leave.  We're all free (with some exceptions to posters in less than free countries) to go out and start our own forum and run it anyway we want.  Nobody (except Dave) has a "freedom of speech" here at The Atlas.  You have freedoms as far as Dave allows you to have those freedoms.  If Dave (or his representatives) want to call a specific poster a dumbass and delete all the dumbasses posts in the dumbasses defense, they can do that.

(I'm in no way telling you or anybody else to suck it up or leave.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 03:42:26 AM »

Oh I understand that, I wasn't trying to claim any sort of right to act in a certain way of course. I simply think it's a little inconsistent if not entirely hypocritical to say on one hand you have the ability to delete what you deem as inflammatory posts while in another thread having the ability to act inflammatory.

What's the point of having a moderator that is a rational and respectable person in one thread but is insulting/homophobic/etc (this is in no way directed at anyone specific, by the way) in another? You may as well appoint random people as mods.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 03:58:24 AM »

This forum isn't cool or popular enough that enough people would be willing to be mods yet not allow their full personality to shine through (Nym and a few others are all good-hearted).  You can't ask mods to be automatons here, maybe on the LOST boards or somethings.

Don't sweat.  If you post substantive things *cough cough* Officepark, I'm sure they'll stop playing favorites against you
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 04:19:16 AM »

Officepark has somewhat of a point.

I have seen where x poster disagrees with Y poster, and makes pentions to have that poster banned.  While The pentions never actually work, the pile on from others ( including mods) against that Y poster forces argument where the political debate becomes personal and Y poster gets banned.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »

The Mods can chime in on their opinion.  They have their own private board where they actually discuss people being banned, they don't seriously do it in public.

Obviously there needs to be a moderator of the Atlas board where someone can delete all of those "ban this guy" request threads, but that's just unfortunate
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:41 AM »

Obviously there needs to be a moderator of the Atlas board where someone can delete all of those "ban this guy" request threads, but that's just unfortunate

I think Inks wants that position.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 04:32:40 AM »

Of course, but it's not like it's a position being offered
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2009, 04:33:57 AM »

Never give mod privileges to somebody that asks for mod privileges.  And I have nothing against Inks, it's just a good, general rule to follow.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:40 AM »

Never give mod privileges to somebody that asks for mod privileges.  And I have nothing against Inks, it's just a good, general rule to follow. I want to be a mod

I think I see what you're getting at Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies