Politico releases new congressional study
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico releases new congressional study
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico releases new congressional study  (Read 3485 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2009, 05:22:46 PM by Ronnie »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16816.html

They predict that Texas will pick up three seats in Congress. Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada and Utah would gain one seat each. Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania would each lose one.

Though, I find something surprising in this article:

"On the flip side, some states have made great gains over the last two years that could help them in the decennial redistricting. Louisiana was the only state to lose residents after Hurricane Katrina hit, and many observers expected it would end up losing one of its seven House seats. But over the last two years, Louisiana has seen a population surge, with many residents returning home. That trend may be enough for the state to keep all its House seats."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »

Good stuff though I don't like PA losing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »

Do something against it.

You have six months to father as many extra Pennsylvanians as you can. Say you father four children a day, that makes 720 extra Pennsylvanians. It might be enough to make a difference. Grin
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »

Yeah, we'll probably lose another house seat because of it.  I'm guessing they'll merge District 9 with Part of District 10, getting rid of either Shuster or Thompson.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »

Ohio losing only one? We'll see about that...
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2009, 05:50:40 PM by brittain33 »

Wasn't Louisiana at risk of losing a seat even without Katrina? I am skeptical.

This article doesn't make it clear what the difference is between these numbers and those that have the midwest taking more of a hit, losing 4 more seats. I hope neither one is "if we apportioned today" which would be useless.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:51:15 PM »

Do something against it.

You have six months to father as many extra Pennsylvanians as you can. Say you father four children a day, that makes 720 extra Pennsylvanians. It might be enough to make a difference. Grin

Santorum has made a difference.  Wink

Cue to...

OMG BUT HE'S A VIRGINIAN!!

Yeah, we'll probably lose another house seat because of it.  I'm guessing they'll merge District 9 with Part of District 10, getting rid of either Shuster or Thompson.

You a Pennsylvanian?

It depends on who controls the legislature in 2010. If the GOP gains back the House and if PA 3 is still in Dem hands, they might try to carve up that district (give some more Dem areas to Thompson in the safe GOP 5th district and give us a chance to get the 3rd back).
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »

Wasn't Louisiana at risk of losing a seat even without Katrina? I am skeptical.

This article doesn't make it clear what the difference is between these numbers and those that have the midwest taking more of a hit, losing 4 more seats. I hope neither one is "if we apportioned today" which would be useless.

If you look at out of New Orleans metro in the presidential election, there is a good amount of population growth.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »

I suppose that there's always the dreadful possibility of PA-12 being taken to its logical conclusion; you know, loop it back across the other side of Pittsburgh to pick up various industrial towns currently in PA-4.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

You a Pennsylvanian?

It depends on who controls the legislature in 2010. If the GOP gains back the House and if PA 3 is still in Dem hands, they might try to carve up that district (give some more Dem areas to Thompson in the safe GOP 5th district and give us a chance to get the 3rd back).

Ha, good point.  It kind of depends on the senatorial and gubernatorial elections that are going to take place that year.  If the GOP candidates win, the GOP will probably {temporarily} regain the legislature, but I still give the Dems a narrow advantage, since Strickland will probably win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »

You a Pennsylvanian?

Ha, good point.  It kind of depends on the senatorial and gubernatorial elections that are going to take place that year.  If the GOP candidates win, the GOP will probably {temporarily} regain the legislature, but I still give the Dems a narrow advantage, since Strickland will probably win.

Wait...what? Strickland? That's Ohio, my friend. We're talking PA here.  Tongue
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

You a Pennsylvanian?

Wait...what? Strickland? That's Ohio, my friend. We're talking PA here.  Tongue

Crap, another brain fart. Tongue

What I meant to say is that the GOP has to nominate a really good gubernatorial candidate to be able to pull in some legislative seats with him.  Tom Corbett seems like a safe bet, but I'm a bit skeptical.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »

What I meant to say is that the GOP has to nominate a really good gubernatorial candidate to be able to pull in some legislative seats with him.  Tom Corbett seems like a safe bet, but I'm a bit skeptical.

We only need three seats to win back the House but it would help if we had a strong Gubernatorial nominee. Corbett will be fine.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 08:05:08 PM »

I suppose that there's always the dreadful possibility of PA-12 being taken to its logical conclusion; you know, loop it back across the other side of Pittsburgh to pick up various industrial towns currently in PA-4.

That would put Altmire in a good bit more trouble, I presume.  Or is his residence in those industrial towns (I don't know), which would open up that seat as it becomes more suburban-centric.  Murtha isn't going to last forever.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2009, 08:28:18 PM by Ronnie »

We only need three seats to win back the House but it would help if we had a strong Gubernatorial nominee. Corbett will be fine.

You better pray then, that Kanjorski gets in another corruption scandal, Dahlkemper doesn't get entrenched, Gerlach survives, and there is some sort of an upset to Carney.

I find all of them happening to be almost impossible, but hey, if you want to consider the possibility of Obama utterly failing, go ahead.

Edit: Oops, I think you're talking about the PA house.  NVM, if so. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »

Yes  Wink

But PA 3 and 10 are definitely possible pickup opportunities (the 10th would almost be likely) if Obama screws up.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2009, 09:33:34 PM by Ronnie »

Yes  Wink

But PA 3 and 10 are definitely possible pickup opportunities (the 10th would almost be likely) if Obama screws up.

Eh, I think a pickup of PA 11 is a little more likely, because Kanjorski's numbers were inflated in Lackawanna county, due to Obama's numbers there.  If Barletta would run again, and bring Kanjorski's numbers in Lackawanna down to about 55%, and bumping his numbers in Luzerne a bit, while retaining about the same vote everywhere else, he'd win.

It could happen, since Kanjorski isn't the most popular congressman.

Plus, Carney seems entrenched, and overperformed Obama (by a lot).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »

Yes  Wink

Eh, I think a pickup of PA 11 is a little more likely, because Kanjorski's numbers were inflated in Lackawanna county, due to Obama's numbers there.  If Barletta would run again, and bring Kanjorski's numbers in Lackawanna down to about 55%, and bumping his numbers in Luzerne a bit, while retaining about the same vote everywhere else, he'd win.

Kanjo can be beat (would have to have Barletta as an opponent...again. Not likely) but Carney's district is actually a strong Republican district.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »

Yes  Wink

Kanjo can be beat (would have to have Barletta as an opponent...again. Not likely) but Carney's district is actually a strong Republican district.

Yeah, duh.  But just because it's a heavily republican district, it doesn't mean that a Democrat can't retain it.  Look at Jim Matheson, Chet Edwards, Charlie Melancon, and John Salazar. 

Carney won by a good amount, which probably means he's entrenched.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

Yeah, duh.  But just because it's a heavily republican district, it doesn't mean that a Democrat can't retain it.  Look at Jim Matheson, Chet Edwards, Charlie Melancon, and John Salazar. 

Believe me, I know. I've argued that PA 10 wasn't a guaranteed pickup going into the 2008 elections. I worried that Carney could become another Tim Holden. However, he's not entrenched.

Carney may have won comfortably but that doesn't mean that his district isn't more prone to swing against him than Kanjo's. The 10th is a heavily Republican district and he will, at the very least, have a very close race on his hands if things get bad for Obama. Meanwhile, Kanjo has survived the worst situations. Sure, he won't have a Presidential election to help with turnout in his favor in 2010 but he also won't have Barletta as an opponent and probably won't have another major scandal.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »

Believe me, I know. I've argued that PA 10 wasn't a guaranteed pickup going into the 2008 elections. I worried that Carney could become another Tim Holden. However, he's not entrenched.

Carney may have won comfortably but that doesn't mean that his district isn't more prone to swing against him than Kanjo's. The 10th is a heavily Republican district and he will, at the very least, have a very close race on his hands if things get bad for Obama. Meanwhile, Kanjo has survived the worst situations. Sure, he won't have a Presidential election to help with turnout in his favor in 2010 but he also won't have Barletta as an opponent and probably won't have another major scandal.

Carney's district is trending Democratic in the way that Murtha's is trending Republican.  McCain won the district by only 53%-46% after Bush won it 60%-40%, a smaller margin than he won PA-04 by.  Carney running 10 points ahead of McCain shows that has a pretty good hold on that district. 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »

McCain won the district by only 53%-46% after Bush won it 60%-40%, a smaller margin than he won PA-04 by. 

Can you show me where you are getting these numbers from?  I've been looking everywhere and I can't find a good source other than Swingstateproject, but they hardly update.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »

McCain won the district by only 53%-46% after Bush won it 60%-40%, a smaller margin than he won PA-04 by. 

Can you show me where you are getting these numbers from?  I've been looking everywhere and I can't find a good source other than Swingstateproject, but they hardly update.

What I did was take all of the whole counties in the district and then weigh the Lackawanna precincts according to their lean against the county average in 2004 and use that same lean against the 2008 county average. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »

Carney's district is trending Democratic in the way that Murtha's is trending Republican.  McCain won the district by only 53%-46% after Bush won it 60%-40%, a smaller margin than he won PA-04 by.  Carney running 10 points ahead of McCain shows that has a pretty good hold on that district. 

Yeah, in a terrible year. The GOP has a significant voter registration advantage up there. You guys have one election result.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »

Yeah, in a terrible year. The GOP has a significant voter registration advantage up there. You guys have one election result.

Two actually.  Democrats have a pretty significant edge in PA-18 and Tim Murphy is uber safe there. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies