An arguement for Agnoticism - against Atheism. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:06:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  An arguement for Agnoticism - against Atheism. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An arguement for Agnoticism - against Atheism.  (Read 4449 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 06, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »

I touch of Bertrand Russell. It's not really a response to him (Why I am Not a Christian), as he simply comes from an 'anti'-theistic proposition to a middle point and you come from an 'anti'-athiestic proposition and come to pretty much the same middle point.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »

I tend to agree with that, the only genuinely rational position given what we genuinely know about the universe without assumptions (which is practically nothing) is Agnosticism. I can't prove or disprove science. No-one can. With the mental tools we currently have at our disposal. (I really Russell's book btw, even if I disagree with it - every member of the religious right should be read his "nice people" essay.)

His work is certainly something I've read, though it was a while ago. Though from my point of view, while I used the term middle ground, there is probably more than one.

I am a theist. I believe in a God but I see modern science as a continuing revelation of his creation, an understanding of which comes through the advance of knowledge therefore I believe scientific concepts to be, on the whole 'correct and compatable.' At least to the point at which scientific understanding currently stands. If things are challenged through a similar method then what is 'correct' becomes not necessarily incorrect, but is merely superceded.

Which on reflection probably isn't a middle ground. I am perhaps folding over both sides, the natural (though we do not yet know what it fully is) and supernatural (which we do not know if it exists by the methods employed to understand what is natural) to meet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies