Why Harry Reid Can Be Beat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Harry Reid Can Be Beat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Harry Reid Can Be Beat  (Read 2064 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »

This article fails to note the Democratic surge in registration

I support efforts to defeat Harry Reid. Maybe then we can get a real Majority Leader.

The two Democrats jockying to replace him are Schumer and Durbin.  I think Schumer has more talent but Durbin has that whole Obama thing.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:46:44 AM »

It's possible, but it's important to remember that the Nevada we knew 4 years ago is a different Nevada that we know today.  Reid doesn't enjoy strong favorables, but a lot of that is from liberals who will vote for him anyway because there is little chance Reid faces a credible primary opponent (who won't be "disappeared").  Reid sucks at national politics, he can't play hardball, he's stuck in an overly partisan persona, and he's not particularly likable, but this is still a state in the middle of a Demcoratic surge that I imagine still has to plateau.   I mean, there are more registered Democrats in Washoe County (!!!!) than Republicans now.  That's be like more Republicans registered in Cook County Illinois than Democrats or something. 

I think I might join the progressive netroots and hope for Reid's removal.  I never claimed to be a moderate and Durbin or Schumer would be a lot more effective.  I don't really care at all about that 60 mark.

But I just don't see it.  This is the *one* seat that's explicitly vulnerable and yet there is still not obvious challenger.  Every explicitly or moderately vulnerable seat on the Republican side (MO, OH, FL, NC, KY) has a leading opponent already.  And a number of the unsure seats (OK, NH, KS) have leading opponents that are debating still about running.  The Republicans really don't have an equivalent..... Arnuld & Lingle and that's it (and Lingle only if Inouye retires).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies