Blago Likely to be Impeached Tomorrow by IL House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:38:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Blago Likely to be Impeached Tomorrow by IL House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blago Likely to be Impeached Tomorrow by IL House  (Read 1102 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
« edited: January 08, 2009, 03:26:17 PM by Lunar »

Also, as Rich Miller puts it, "I’ve also been talking to some Senate Democrats off the record in the past few days, including African-American Dems. This thing is on a monorail."

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/political-fix/political-fix/2009/01/ill-rep-hoffman-top-blago-ally-will-vote-to-impeach/

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Illinois state Rep. Jay Hoffman, D-Collinsville - a close friend and the arguably top legislative ally to Gov. Rod Blagojevich - confirmed today that he intends to vote for an impeachment resolution expected Friday.

“I can’t imagine how he can provide the type of leadership that is necessary for us to address the issues” facing the state, Hoffman said in a conversation outside the House chambers this morning. “I’ll be voting tomorrow to move forward with the process and impeach the governor.”

Hoffman, a former Blagojevich roommate and unofficial advisor, has been a vehement supporter, at times shouting down House colleagues in heated floor debate as the only voice in defense of the Democratic governor.

Today, though, Hoffman spoke in somber tones, saying he is “disappointed” at the controversy that has engulfed Illinois since Blagojevich’s Dec. 9 arrest on federal corruption charges, and the resulting impeachment proceedings.

Hoffman said he hasn’t spoken to Blagojevich since the arrest. While he didn’t comment directly on the charges against Blagojevich (including the allegation that he attempted to auction off the U.S. Senate seat of President-elect Barack Obama), he said the situation has made governing impossible. “If it were me, I would have resigned,” Hoffman said.

Blagojevich has ignored calls from state and national leaders that he resign.

The Illinois House impeachment committee convenes at 3 p.m. today. A full-House vote on impeachment could come as early as tomorrow morning.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »

Victory for America
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:26:48 PM »

Sad  I want him to stay in my life as long as possible.

Marry me.
ill ind

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »

I wouldn't be terribly suprised if there are 0 votes against the impeachment in the full session of the Illinois House tommorrow.
  This thing is definitely on a monorail.  The latest twist is that Blagojevich may refuse to call the Illinois Senate into its regular session on January 14.  The Senate is the body that would hold the trial should Blagojevich be impeached and would vote whether or not to remove him from office.  Not calling them into session would be Blago's way of delaying what now appears to be the inevitable outcome of all of this.
  I've seen predictions that we will have Governor Quinn by Feb 4.

Ill Ind
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »

So is Quinn going to go to federal prison too?
ill ind

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »

Becca

Statisticaly speaking, being Governor of Illinois means you have a better chance of ending up in the big house, than if you actually kill somebody ;->

Murders resulting in someone serving time in prison 48%
If Blagojevich goes to jail, that means 4 of the last 7 Illinois governors have 56%

Ill Ind
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

But Quinn really isn't beholden to fundraisers/financers and he has no real chance at holding onto his seat in 2010 against Madigan or Giannoulias
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies